Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

somehow, something appears to be stuck behind my coin/cup holder, preventing me from closing it flush with the dash. I am trying to take it out to see what is causing the problem but I can't seem to figure out how to remove it.

Any of you folks with the fancy manuals have an idea how to take it off?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

·
1,484 Posts
You don't necessarily have to remove the cupholder. You could just remove the stereo headunit and you should be able to see what’s behind the cupholder. My guess of what’s block the cupholder from closing would be maybe a wiring harness hanging down from the headunit. Just a guess.

And if remember correctly in order to remove the cupholder you have to remove the lower center pocket first to disengage the cupholder. Which is more difficult IMO.

-Nestor

------------------

HOMER'S ODYSSEY

·
Registered
134 Posts
My guess is you have an optional CD changer or fog lights installed. The wire harnass for either can get in the way behind the cupholder. Thats why the options come with wire ties etc. I installed my CD Changer and until I secured the wires to the back of the unit with the supplied clamp, I couldn't close the cupholder. BTW access to this area is gained by removing the dash panel surround. It's such tight high-quality fit that it is hard to pop off without scratching anything. I used thin plastic flexible shims (body putty spreaders and scraps of plastic) to pry from the corners. Easiest place to start is at the pointy part next to the steering wheel.

to remove the cupholder mechanism itself you start removing from the bottom up starting with the tilt-bin.

If you had dealer installed options, I wouldn't risk fixing it yourself. They should fix it. If you didn't install anything back there, I'd also bring it to the dealer for warranty. They'll cover the repair and it will be quicker and less risky than you trying to figure it out. Good luck

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ha Ha Ha Ha, I just spent the last 15 minutes doing just that.
There's a clip underneath the cup-holder tray. Use a flat tip screw driver to push up and pull it out. I had some after market stuff which was blocking it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
For those in a similar situation, this is an easy fix. The tab is directly underneath the cupholder - there is no need to remove the tilt out box. Once I got a flashlight to see it it took just a couple of minutes to remove. Not bragging - just wanted you to know what was involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For those in a similar situation, this is an easy fix. The tab is directly underneath the cupholder - there is no need to remove the tilt out box. Once I got a flashlight to see it it took just a couple of minutes to remove. Not bragging - just wanted you to know what was involved.
This is true for my 03. Heres some pics to show you. When you go to remove cupholder you'll put screwdriver between metal frame and bottom of cupholder. Middle pic shows metal frame cupholder goes in. You need to pull it out as far as will go first. Bottom pic shows exactly where to place screwdriver.Then you gently press down on screwdriver handle and this will lift the tab so cupholder comes out. To replace I also had to use screwdriver to press tab up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ha Ha Ha Ha, I just spent the last 15 minutes doing just that.
There's a clip underneath the cup-holder tray. Use a flat tip screw driver to push up and pull it out. I had some after market stuff which was blocking it.
Yes this worked for 03 see pics on Steve's post

1 - 7 of 7 Posts