Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I'm hoping that I've posted my question in the correct forum. Nonethless, I ran into an issue today in where I was about to feed the RCA plug from the rubber boot through the chassis opening near where the boot plugs back into chassis and found out I could not feed the RCA plug as shown on some youtube videos I seen of other installs. I believe those vehicles were 2007 Odyssey's but mine is a 2006. I'm wondering if there is some differences in the metal chassis between both years. To test to see if there was some opening in between the metal panels, I shined a light through the hole where the rubber boot plugs into but saw no light on the other side of the weather stripping. If there is in fact no opening for the RCA to go through, would I need to route up and through headliner or do I need to just follow the channel all the way down in hopes it will lead back into the cabin someplace like towards the tailights?

I did not rip out all the panels on the right-rear side of the vehicle and in doing so, I may have gotten a better picture as to what was going on. I ran out of time and daylight as it was getting dark. Hoping to get back on this project tomorrow. This rear camera will be plugging into an aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVH-W4400NEX).

If anyone has any pictures they can share of their install (panels to remove, where to route the video cable) that would be great. Browsing around youtube for videos only yielded in a few posts but those folks were able to push their RCA plugs through where I couldn't.

Thanks in advanced fellow members!!

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
You didn't provide a link to the video you are referencing, but I assume you are on the drivers side at the rear going through the spare tire & jack storage area then with the tail light removed coming out that area? I ran a wire on both my '06 & '07 for my trailer brakes and as I recall I fished a coat hanger through there then taped my wire loom with my wire on it and pulled it back through. I don't know that you can actually see all the way through. I was working blind on the first one because I hadn't seen a video and just figured it out on my own then duplicated it on the '07. Going from memory because that was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate it.

This is the video that I found on YouTube and I try to reference off of it and I got stuck at the point when I tried to fish the RCA plug through. I tried ti duplicate what this person did in the video (8:33) by routing the cable on the passengers right side of the vehicle since the rubber boot is there. Seems like the metal plates are pressed together at that point where the RCA plug slipped through.

To get to the left side would mean going through the headliner?

https://youtu.be/px2j46md6e8

You didn't provide a link to the video you are referencing, but I assume you are on the drivers side at the rear going through the spare tire & jack storage area then with the tail light removed coming out that area? I ran a wire on both my '06 & '07 for my trailer brakes and as I recall I fished a coat hanger through there then taped my wire loom with my wire on it and pulled it back through. I don't know that you can actually see all the way through. I was working blind on the first one because I hadn't seen a video and just figured it out on my own then duplicated it on the '07. Going from memory because that was 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Ok, the difference for me was I didn't need to get into the tailgate so I stayed on the drivers side. You can see later on in that video that he is routing along the floor at the edge by pulling the door sills up to get better access. That's relatively easy. There is no reason for you to come down the drivers side for what you are doing. I don't know what to tell you about getting through that spot, but I would try poking a straightened coat hanger through first then taping your wires to the end and pulling it through. I would highly recommend also using the black plastic wire loom to protect your wires. There will be sharp metal edges in places you can't see and wires even gently laying on these will eventually rub through without that protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again for the advice. I think once I can figure out how to get through that spot and down to the liners on the floor board I should be ok from there but for your install we're you able to get the RCA plug through that location over to the driver's side or did you bypass the right side and rubber boot and went straight to the driver's side? When I poked around with my finger in there it felt like the metal pieces were sealed and there was no way to get anything through there. I have plenty of wire to go through drivers or passenger side.

Ok, the difference for me was I didn't need to get into the tailgate so I stayed on the drivers side. You can see later on in that video that he is routing along the floor at the edge by pulling the door sills up to get better access. That's relatively easy. There is no reason for you to come down the drivers side for what you are doing. I don't know what to tell you about getting through that spot, but I would try poking a straightened coat hanger through first then taping your wires to the end and pulling it through. I would highly recommend also using the black plastic wire loom to protect your wires. There will be sharp metal edges in places you can't see and wires even gently laying on these will eventually rub through without that protection.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for the advice. I think once I can figure out how to get through that spot and down to the liners on the floor board I should be ok from there but for your install we're you able to get the RCA plug through that location over to the driver's side or did you bypass the right side and rubber boot and went straight to the driver's side? When I poked around with my finger in there it felt like the metal pieces were sealed and there was no way to get anything through there. I have plenty of wire to go through drivers or passenger side.
This was the picture of the boot that I took earlier. The cutout hole in the chassis for my 2006 looks different from what I saw on the reference Youtube video.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Yeah, like I said, I was running a trailer brake wire not rear camera so I didn't need to get into the tailgate. One thing you could do if you just can't find a path through that area is drill a new hole. Once the trim panel is back on you'll never see it, it isn't exposed to the elements for corrosion concern, etc. Just make sure you are careful as the drill bit is about to punch through so you don't end up with a ding on the outside metal.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was successful in routing the RCA cable through that opening. Upon further removing the back panel closest to window, I noticed that there is a black-plastic like channel piece that houses all the wiring. What I initialy thought was metal was actually that plastic piece. It was held down by plastic fasteners. Once I removed the fasteners, I was able to feed that RCA through.

I was able to feed that video cable all the way down the right side of the vehicle, under the sliding door sills and up to the front. Tested the backup cam and it was working perfectly.

I ran into another issue where the sound from the new headunit isn't putting much bass/sound. Sound isn't heard until set the volume level to 12 or so and there is distortion when maxed-out. I'll send this question to the audio thread. I have a feeling the factory amp is being bypassed and sounds are feeding straight to the speakers.

Again, thanks for spending the time to answer my questions when others didn't. I seem to get more responses in the Accord forum than in here and the audio mods I did in that car seemed to be much easier to work with than on the older Odyssey.

Yeah, like I said, I was running a trailer brake wire not rear camera so I didn't need to get into the tailgate. One thing you could do if you just can't find a path through that area is drill a new hole. Once the trim panel is back on you'll never see it, it isn't exposed to the elements for corrosion concern, etc. Just make sure you are careful as the drill bit is about to punch through so you don't end up with a ding on the outside metal.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Glad you figured it out. Back in my younger days no car I drove had a stock stereo in it and I did all the engineering and installs myself, but I haven't done any custom audio in 20 years and so much has changed so hopefully someone else will chime in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts