Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my regular jack stand gets it up to 14inches, and while putting down jackstands this drops to 12-13inches or so. not enough to get enough leverage on the drain bolt.
I suppose I need a new jack-lift which can go higher?

·
Registered
880 Posts
Why do you did so much height? If you have access to a driveway/sidewalk, Do what I've been doing for 30+ years.

Drive parallel to driveway, put passenger wheel on sidewalk. For me, plenty of room to slide under, drain oil.
Very safe too. No danger of jack slipping. Also, use Fumoto valve. No need to remove drain bolt.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
I use a floor jack and jack stands as well, but I don't have any trouble getting enough leverage under the van. To be honest, I've never measured how high I raise it - it's always an eyeball measurement of "Aah that's good enough."

Instead of buying a new floor jack, what about trying a height extender? [LINK] Personally, I'd look at this as an opportunity to refresh the garage tool kit and look for a higher lifting jack, but that isn't the cheapest possible option. ;)

·
Registered
880 Posts
Try my version. Another benefit. If you drip oil, it just falls on the asphalt street. Never measured the "height", but with the front wheel on the sidewalk, had plenty of room.:)

·
Registered
9,784 Posts
The drain bolt shouldn't be that hard to remove if it was tightened correctly with a torque wrench last time.

Dave

Reactions: amm888

·
Registered
149 Posts
12" is way more than you need for an oil change. I use a pair of ramps which raise the van about 6".

What are you trying to do that need so much clearance? Even with a 3' cheater bar you don't need 12" of clearance.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I agree with above thoughts regarding the force required to remove the drain plug. That’s got to be too tight. I was somewhat lazy and didn’t even put my van on ramps for the last oil change. Wiggled myself under there while the wheels were on the ground and was still able to get the drain plug off without much struggle lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I use ramps, plenty of room. Be sure to position drip pan in correct spot, when first removing plug oil will shoot a ways. I usually put some old newspapers down under tray to prevent oil stains on garage floor.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My lower profile jack lifts it enough to get the jackstands up at least 1-2 clicks. Thats high enough for me to get under with a laying on a crawler as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Get a set of rhino ramps it makes oil changes a breeze and so much safer.

my regular jack stand gets it up to 14inches, and while putting down jackstands this drops to 12-13inches or so. not enough to get enough leverage on the drain bolt.
I suppose I need a new jack-lift which can go higher?

·
Registered
12 Posts
That 12-13 inch clearance works for me. More would be great, but I get by fine. My jack stands hold it just above 12 inches at the jack points, then I slide under on a creeper to work. The creeper slightly reduces the overall clearance, but I still have enough room.

·
Registered
5 Posts
After years of shimmying under the van to change the oil on my 2008 Ody, a few maintenence cycles ago I realized how accessible the drain plug and especially the oil filter are if you remove the right front tire. Everything is right in front of you without the need of crawling on your back. I now correspond my oil changes with tire rotations so knock out two birds...

·
Registered
8,072 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
After years of shimmying under the van to change the oil on my 2008 Ody, a few maintenence cycles ago I realized how accessible the drain plug and especially the oil filter are if you remove the right front tire. Everything is right in front of you without the need of crawling on your back. I now correspond my oil changes with tire rotations so knock out two birds...
This is a great point. Obviously the oil filter is accessible without removing the tire, but keeping oil off the control arm is absolute child's play with the tire off. If you're compulsive about cleanliness like that (which unfortunately I tend to be) timing oil changes to correspond to tire swaps or rotations would be helpful.

·
Registered
2013 Odyssey Touring Elite
63 Posts
$6/hr for a lift at a base auto hobby shop...includes fluid disposal. ;)

Walk under the vehicle and rotate the tires while it drains. Every 15K toss in a transmission drain-refill. :cool:

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,543 Posts
$6/hr for a lift at a base auto hobby shop...includes fluid disposal. ;)

Walk under the vehicle and rotate the tires while it drains. Every 15K toss in a transmission drain-refill. :cool:
That is a fantastic use of six dollars! (y)

Reactions: tex72
1 - 20 of 50 Posts