21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
13,506 Posts
I use my MaxJax Mx-6 lift. --OK, I just wanted to say that.

I've used ramps, jack & jackstands, sidewalk curb on the side of the road, spare tire jack, and many other methods to change oil. I'm with the above who mentioned if you can't get enough leverage on the drain plug with it being raised just slightly, then the plug is overtightened.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have also changed my oil once without even lifting it. Just turned the wheel to the right.

The problem with ramps is I'm always rotating tires with every oil change (i'm not sure why you guys aren't).

I usually jack up under the front center support, and block up where the rear of the lower control arm connects with the subframe/frame.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have also changed my oil once without even lifting it. Just turned the wheel to the right.

The problem with ramps is I'm always rotating tires with every oil change (i'm not sure why you guys aren't).

I usually jack up under the front center support, and block up where the rear of the lower control arm connects with the subframe/frame.
Yep, I rotate my tires every oil.change too. The Odyssey has the most easily accessible jack points than any other vehicle I have owned. There is both a front and rear center jack point which makes it easy to get the van on jack stands. I rotate the tires while the oil is draining and put the front right wheel on last so I have easy access to change the filter.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2014 EXL
44 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
I was interested in buying some Race Ramps for my 2014 EXL and I see you recommend them. What year Odyssey do you (purc1234) have? Wanted to make sure they work with the low profile bumper. Thanks
We also have a 2014 Odyssey EXL (with entertainment). The Race Ramps model RR-56 are specifically made for low-profile cars. I have no issues with the low-profile bumper on our Odyssey. It drives right up the ramps, no problem! These ramps are super light because they're made from a high-density foam. Very easy to move them around and store. They're a little pricey, but I think they're well worth it. Highly recommended!

·
Registered
2014 EXL
44 Posts
We also have a 2014 Odyssey EXL (with entertainment). The Race Ramps model RR-56 are specifically made for low-profile cars. I have no issues with the low-profile bumper on our Odyssey. It drives right up the ramps, no problem! These ramps are super light because they're made from a high-density foam. Very easy to move them around and store. They're a little pricey, but I think they're well worth it. Highly recommended!
Thanks for the quick reply. I think I'm going to get the Race Ramps.

·
Registered
874 Posts
$1,000 for a lift to raise up a car to change the oil??? Yikes. I’ll keep shoving my bald head under it with no jack.
+1. I will still drive right front tire onto the curb at the end of my driveway. Safe and secure. Who needs a jack/ramp. Any spilled oil just falls onto the street. (asphalt). so no issue.

·
Registered
2014 EXL
44 Posts
+1. I will still drive right front tire onto the curb at the end of my driveway. Safe and secure. Who needs a jack/ramp. Any spilled oil just falls onto the street. (asphalt). so no issue.
Some of us don't have curbs at the end of their driveways!

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey EX-L / VCM-Tuner 2
10 Posts
I see this thread is a couple of years old but I’ve been using a jack and jack stands to raise my 12 EXL for oil and filter changes. The jack I have doesn’t not raise too much so barely get a couple of notches on the jack stands and enough to get to oil pan / filter when I turn the wheel to the right to increase access. I recently wanted to do the transmission drain and refill and noticed that the transmission pan is more centered and reaching there is more difficult with the height I get on the jack stands. I saw the posts about the RhinoRamp MAX and just got those. I saw in review on one of the auto parts site that someone poured some high strength concrete into the two center oval supports so while it does not stack it adds a solid core on the center of the ramp on the incline as well as the wheel rest.

1) Any opinions out here on if doing this can make the ramp stronger?

2) Anyone using the ramp are you also able to use jack stands on the side points down from the wheel wells or you set jack stands at some other point to provide additional safety margin from the raised front end?

3) I will get a couple of 2x4 cut to size to butt up against garage wall and the ramps to prevent them from slipping. I have a concrete floor in the garage but it’s smooth so not much traction.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’ll eventually just DIY build solid wood ramps with 2x10’s as others have suggested but for the time being since I just bought these ramps (are on the way), I thought of using them for the time being.

TIA

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,538 Posts
@sfbayguy - you are WAAAY overthinking this. Those Rhino Ramps are rated for 16,000 pounds GVW. A gen 4 Odyssey is only about 6,000 pounds GVW and most of them cruise along the roads around 4,500 pounds. We don't push the capacity limits on those ramps at all. You won't be able to get jack stands under the side jacking locations because the ramps are too long and getting them under the control arms will interfere with placing your drain pan properly.

I also don't understand how you can't reach the transmission drain plug once the front end is raised, unless you are not removing the floor jack. That actually isn't safe - as soon as you have the jack stands in position, get the floor jack out of there. It's intended to temporarily lift the van, not hold it up for a longer period after that.

Just use the ramps as they're intended and you'll be fine. The 2 x 4 idea to keep them from moving on you is OK. I just jam the ramps hard under the front tires before trying to drive up and it works fine in my garage but if your floor is slipperier than mine then using the wood to hold them is OK.

Reactions: Vicarious_Lee

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you @CroMath, much appreciated. I was a little freaked out seeing some of the Amazon reviews with the crushed or collapsed ramps. I have been leaving my jack at the front end position in palace after placing the jack stands as a 3rd lift point so that’s why access was more restricted to reach the tranny drain plug and also being a chubbier guy the additional height the ramp gives will help give more access.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >125k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
804 Posts
^this
No need to overthink it. Rhino Ramps work fine with heavy cars and are nice but require storage space. I sold mine years ago, and then used DIY wooden ramps for the Ody, but now store them in the attic above the garage. Digging them out takes more time than than the entire oil change. A single jack stand at the right front (with the wheel removed) allows easy access to the drain plug and filter. And they are always easy to access, at the front of the garage sitting on top of the floor jack.

As others said, if the drain can't be removed from that angle, either it is too tight or your wrench is too small (I use a 3/8 breaker bar). Or you are turning it the wrong way ;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
@rmyoder thanks for your perspective and advise. Am ok for oil changes with current set up and was trying to do my first transmission drain refill and that’s where I got stuck ( pun intended :) ) and decided to buy the Rhino Ramps. I use a torque wrench for the drain plug crush washer and hand tighten filter after oiling the built in gasket per advise from the forum and it’s not been an issue to open both at this time.

·
Registered
2013 Ody Touring with 125 on it, never wrecked, escaped VCM so far...
59 Posts
I have the 40"s, which are much cheaper, and they work just fine for the Odyssey. They're still expensive, but that's one of my core rules of life.

1. Don't skimp on things that separate you from the ground (shoes, mattress, tires, hypothetically parachutes, airplanes, etc.)

2. Don't skimp on what keeps heavy, hurty things off of you (jacks, stands, ramps).

3. Know when something has enough potential kinetic energy to kill you, and then do not fuck with that thing (garage door springs, etc.)

4. Electricity can also kill you and you are not an electrician.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,538 Posts
Thank you @CroMath, much appreciated. I was a little freaked out seeing some of the Amazon reviews with the crushed or collapsed ramps. I have been leaving my jack at the front end position in palace after placing the jack stands as a 3rd lift point so that’s why access was more restricted to reach the tranny drain plug and also being a chubbier guy the additional height the ramp gives will help give more access.
No problem. :)

I've seen those same pictures and there's no way those ramps were being used properly, no matter what the storyteller says.

I have a set of Rhino Ramps and a floor jack/jack stands, so I have experience with both setups on our 2015 Ody. I've had our van on the Rhino Ramps for sure a half-dozen times and the only time I perceive any danger at all is when I'm trying not to overshoot the end of the ramps on the way up. The ramps are plenty strong to hold up the weight of the front end once you're positioned on them properly. Don't forget to set the parking brake and chock the rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
I see this thread is a couple of years old but I’ve been using a jack and jack stands to raise my 12 EXL for oil and filter changes. The jack I have doesn’t not raise too much so barely get a couple of notches on the jack stands and enough to get to oil pan / filter when I turn the wheel to the right to increase access. I recently wanted to do the transmission drain and refill and noticed that the transmission pan is more centered and reaching there is more difficult with the height I get on the jack stands. I saw the posts about the RhinoRamp MAX and just got those. I saw in review on one of the auto parts site that someone poured some high strength concrete into the two center oval supports so while it does not stack it adds a solid core on the center of the ramp on the incline as well as the wheel rest.

1) Any opinions out here on if doing this can make the ramp stronger?

2) Anyone using the ramp are you also able to use jack stands on the side points down from the wheel wells or you set jack stands at some other point to provide additional safety margin from the raised front end?

3) I will get a couple of 2x4 cut to size to butt up against garage wall and the ramps to prevent them from slipping. I have a concrete floor in the garage but it’s smooth so not much traction.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. I’ll eventually just DIY build solid wood ramps with 2x10’s as others have suggested but for the time being since I just bought these ramps (are on the way), I thought of using them for the time being.

TIA
all the precautions you are taking with the rhino ramps are good, esp ones to secure them from moving.

FWIW, I tried the rhino ramps, bought them when they went on sale in my area.
upon first use, immediately had an issue with them.

my driveway is a slick surface and very slightly inclined, while attempting to creep up the ramps the tiny little rubber grips underneath the rhino ramps would not grab the ground and it shifted.

Im sure lots of people have had success with them, but I was not messing around and returned them...

3 ton jack and floor stand.

·
Registered
2012 EX-L, >125k miles, VCM Tuner, Honda tow pkg.
804 Posts
@rmyoder thanks for your perspective and advise. Am ok for oil changes with current set up and was trying to do my first transmission drain refill and that’s where I got stuck ( pun intended :) ) and decided to buy the Rhino Ramps. I use a torque wrench for the drain plug crush washer and hand tighten filter after oiling the built in gasket per advise from the forum and it’s not been an issue to open both at this time.
I can get to the trans plug by lying in front of the bumper and reaching under the front, and if I position the breaker bar just right I can get it without lifting the car. But it is definitely easier to remove when the front is lifted!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts