Honda Odyssey Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
You mean there's more than one way to skin a cat? lol

I jack the front enough to remove the tire, then lower on wood blocks to level. It's easier for me to get to to the drain plug and filter without the tire in the way.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,858 Posts
A Fumoto drain valve and the front wheels turned to the right means you never have to lift the van for an oil change. I'm a bit lazy when I rotate the tires though, and just jack one side up and swap the tires while the oil is draining to do each F/R tire swap. Use a form-a-funnel to catch the oil drips from the filter and keep it off the subframe. Jacking up the driver's side helps get the max oil out of the crankcase (keep draining while you rotate the tires).

For the trans fluid drain+fills, I drive up on home made wood ramps. Its a 4x12 on top of a longer 2x12, both cut at a 45* on the front so you can drive up them. No way that can collapse, ever. I should probably put a wheel stop on the front... but...

-Charlie

·
Registered
47 Posts
I lay on my back and reach under. Turn the tire so you can get some head room.
You have good access to the filter there too. I cut a long funnel length wise to slide under there to catch the oil dripping from the filter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
$6/hr for a lift at a base auto hobby shop...includes fluid disposal. ;)

Walk under the vehicle and rotate the tires while it drains. Every 15K toss in a transmission drain-refill. :cool:
That is one thing I really miss…. The auto hobby shop. Tons of specialty tools to check out too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Odyssey EX-L / VCM-Tuner 2
10 Posts
I’ve been using aluminum foil around the filter area to form a diy funnel so oil drains to the the pan below and not everywhere on the frame. This form a funnel looks to be a much sturdier option and will look that up for the next change. Thanks.

·
Registered
2016 Touring Elite
1,858 Posts
I’ve been using aluminum foil around the filter area to form a diy funnel so oil drains to the the pan below and not everywhere on the frame. This form a funnel looks to be a much sturdier option and will look that up for the next change. Thanks.
I got the form-a-funnel for my 4Runner to save the drips all over the front diff and skid plates, but it has saved me in a number of other situations since.

If you want to get really fancy, there is (errr... was?) a Honda oil deflector you can buy that goes on the subframe using a magnet...

-Charlie

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,539 Posts
The Form-a-Funnel is cool but too expensive to buy just for an oil change on your Odyssey. It would take you several lifetimes of Ody oil changes (at about 2 cents in aluminum foil per oil change) to cover the cost of a Form-a-Funnel.

If you can find other uses for the Form-a-Funnel besides oil changes (like @phattyduck suggests), then maybe it makes sense but if not you're already doing the most cost-effective solution.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If you want to get really fancy, there is (errr... was?) a Honda oil deflector you can buy that goes on the subframe using a magnet...

-Charlie
[/QUOTE]

I bought the Odyssey specific magnetic funnel for the filter. Works well. I also use a Fumoto drain valve. With a length of clear plastic tubing attached to the nipple, it drains into the catch pan no muss no fuss.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts