Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We picked our Touring Elite on Saturday and I don't know how to load music. It appears that you can only store music from CDs. Can I load music from my IPhone or a flash drive? Nowadays I rarely buy CDs.

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for answering my question. I was afraid that was the answer. I love the van, but what a backwards way of downloading music. I am far from a computer whiz, but I was wondering if it was that hard for Honda to design it to download the music from an IPod.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Yes, due to copyright issues, Honda will not allow you to directly copy digital music files onto the hard drive. You can only copy CDs which Honda assumes you bought and own, but it doesn't mean you can't copy a friend's CD or a CD from the library. Imagine it as a hard drive version of a large CD changer.

Anyway, I posted on another tread a work around for copying mp3 albums onto your hard drive. It's time consuming and a pain in the ass, but it works and you only have to do it once per album.

[FONT=&quot]If your Odyssey has an HDD and you're looking to load (copy) mp3 (digital) albums onto it, you can do it, but you have to burn them to a CD-Rom first as an audio CD. Many programs such as Roxio can do this. Of course you will be limited to a maximum of 80 minutes per CD.[/FONT]

I've found that the CD player can read CD-RW discs, so you can use these discs over and over instead of wasting CD-Rs each time you want to burn an audio disc from your mp3 (digital) files.

Also, if your mp3 (digital) files are properly tagged when you burn the audio CD, the Odyssey will be able to load the artist and track information and tag them for you on your HDD. I'm not sure if it's loading from the track itself or the Gracenote database? However, for some reason, it won't load the album name from the album track/Gracenote database. After the CD is copied, the album field shows up as blank in the HDD album search, which I then have to manually enter.

I have loaded several mp3 (digital) albums onto my HDD without any issue.

So basically you are converting a digital music file back into an audio track on a CD-Rom. Then you load the CD-Rom into the Honda system which then re-rips the audio tracks onto the HDD as a digital file. Kind of counter intuitive if you ask me. I believe the system copies at 4X so a full 80 minute CD will take about 20 minutes.

:cool:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Once loaded can you play the songs in any order or do you have ply them like they are still on the CD? Thanks
You can play the HDD like an iPod. It will play by artist or album or genre or you can make your own playlists. You can also play in regular mode, random shuffle mode or repeat mode.

;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for the answer. I just love this forum for Odyssey Q and A. Thanks to everybody for their contributions.

·
Registered
26 Posts
yeah, be aware you have no access to that hard drive in any way other than via CD. in other words, you can't copy FROM it either, or side-load movies onto it, or anything else.

just FYI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
yeah, be aware you have no access to that hard drive in any way other than via CD. in other words, you can't copy FROM it either, or side-load movies onto it, or anything else.

just FYI.

Is there any way to "upgrade" the HDD or Flash drive whatever it has? 2 GB seems puny. ;)

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is there any way to "upgrade" the HDD or Flash drive whatever it has? 2 GB seems puny. ;)
No, probably not as the hard drive also contains firmware and is used as storage for other stuff.

I've been loading lots of CDs on my hard drive (I have 15 GB) and I have been surprised as how little hard drive space each CD takes up. I'm not sure what bit rate Honda is using to compress the music files, but I think you can fit upwards of 30 CDs or so on 2 GB.

You best bet is to plug in an external source (flash drive, iPod, etc.) into the USB and get a lot more music storage space that way.

:)

·
Registered
739 Posts
I know the Apple detractors won't like it but I would suggest you buy an iPod to store our music, especially since you have an Elite, its got song by voice which works incredibly well, but works only with an iPod not a USB drive. Use your natural voice to find songs, artists, genres, whatever. Its like being on Star Trek.

·
Registered
687 Posts
I know the Apple detractors won't like it but I would suggest you buy an iPod to store our music, especially since you have an Elite, its got song by voice which works incredibly well, but works only with an iPod not a USB drive. Use your natural voice to find songs, artists, genres, whatever. Its like being on Star Trek.
I would have to second the iPod recommendation as it integrates very well with the Odyssey's sound system and also displays album art, which the HDD does not do.

;)

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
You can rip about 20 or more CD's to the 15G hard drive. The drive rips them fairly quickly (a few minutes) and they can be played and riped at the same time. The sound quality is indistinguishable from the original. All in all a pretty good system. It does suck that you cant load data from your usb but that is lawyers for you :(

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I also bought a new iPod classic for the van. 160GB sits nicely in the glove box. Integration is pretty good, not perfect, but good.
I seriously wish you could play the movies from the iPod though. So I don't have to carry my DVDs which I guarantee I will scratch big time one day, and then my daughter will learn all sorts of new words.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife has her iPhone linked to our Ody and she told me she just uses the bluetooth to stream her music. I havent seen it in action, so I dont know how that integrates with voice commands and the display.

·
Registered
687 Posts
My wife has her iPhone linked to our Ody and she told me she just uses the bluetooth to stream her music. I havent seen it in action, so I dont know how that integrates with voice commands and the display.
I have streamed music over bluetooth from my old Nokia phone. However, I was not able to control the phone via the Odyssey's controls and had to use my phone to forward tracks, etc. The only thing I was able to control was the volume level.

:D

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is it possible to change the genres for the HDD?
No you have to use the pre-set genre list which I believe is based on the on the Gracenote standard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong . . .

:rollingeyes:

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have streamed music over bluetooth from my old Nokia phone. However, I was not able to control the phone via the Odyssey's controls and had to use my phone to forward tracks, etc. The only thing I was able to control was the volume level.

:D
I can use the steering wheel buttons to change tracks up and down on my Droid using streaming audio, i.e. no wires are hooked up to the van from my phone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts