Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So picked up a used MICU, trying to get the old one out (driver side). I can't feel any tab to push to get the connector off the one pictured here circled.
Circuit component Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering

I got my head jammed up on the pedals trying to see, having been pushing around with a pick, but can't get the connector off. From the one I have, it there is some type of tab on the side, but I just don't see where to pinch/poke whatever.
Automotive tire Grey Motor vehicle Gas Engineering

That tab is covered by the connector, and doesn't seem to be any way to get under the connector to push it back. Has anyone ever replaced this and know how that comes off?

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
How did you remove it to take the photo?
You missed the very first sentence of the OP. They picked up a used MICU. The photo is of that one. The question is of the one already on their Ody.

At lease that is what I am inferring/assuming.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My guess is there is a tab to push somewhere on the connector. Try getting a small mirror and flashlight and that might let you see the connector and where the tab is to push or pull. By feel alone, you might not be able to tell where it is.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How did you remove it to take the photo?
That’s the replacement part
You missed the very first sentence of the OP. They picked up a used MICU. The photo is of that one. The question is of the one already on their Ody.

At lease that is what I am inferring/assuming.
That's correct. I could try to get a picture of the one in place, but not sure I'll get something clear enough, it's tucked way up there, certainly not a view of the side where the tab appears to be.

·
Administrator
14,917 Posts
More speculation on my part. If that tab which is visible in the photo is covered by the connector and the connector itself doesn’t have a release tab, I assume the connector just pulls out and the tab does release it but you may not have a good angle for leverage to pull it?

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
This may help, line item 6:

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This may help, line item 6:

I swear I searched around and didn't find any posts on this. That is precisely the connection I'm battling. Funny though, I did notice it pushes in a little but still didn't come out. It's very hard to reach, maybe I need to rig some custom grabbers to get at it.

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
516 Posts
Just in case you didn’t free this connector yet here is a picture of it from both sides. I can’t remember how it came off but if you still can’t get it off I will take a stab at it later
Electronic device Vehicle Machine Vehicle door Cable
Motor vehicle Toy Automotive design Machine Auto part

my thoughts are that you need to depress the center while you pull the edges but that’s not from memory

Product Electrical wiring Cable Electronic device Electrical supply

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
516 Posts
I would probably try to do this with two hands. One finger to press the center in and the other hand with a screwdriver positioned to pry the yellow base away from the MICU.

Did you get the connectors off the back? Opposite side?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would probably try to do this with two hands. One finger to press the center in and the other hand with a screwdriver positioned to pry the yellow base away from the MICU.

Did you get the connectors off the back? Opposite side?
Finally back to trying to tackle this. Got the yellow connector off, it is a push/pull removal. Stuck on the green side ones now, can't even see anything to depress. Not looking forward to the back ones, might have to bail until another day when I have more time.

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
516 Posts
These pictures might help. The first is my speedometer cable. I believe the green connectors on the side of the ecu might be the same. To remove that connector you have to reach around the back push in the green tab while you pry the connector out
Blue Circuit component Ethernet cable Gadget Gas

The next picture is the view of the micu through the dash to work on the back connectors. I bought a very long regular screwdriver with a small blade from harbor freight and fished it through this hole to push in the connector tabs while I used a snubby wide blade screwdriver in my other hand next to the micu to pry each connector out
Plant Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering wheel

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These pictures might help. The first is my speedometer cable. I believe the green connectors on the side of the ecu might be the same. To remove that connector you have to reach around the back push in the green tab while you pry the connector out

The next picture is the view of the micu through the dash to work on the back connectors. I bought a very long regular screwdriver with a small blade from harbor freight and fished it through this hole to push in the connector tabs while I used a snubby wide blade screwdriver in my other hand next to the micu to pry each connector out
I couldn't feel any tab and ran out of time, so put it all back together for now. I pulled the vent out to see from the top, was thinking if I could get the whole side dash panel off it might help, but didn't see how it was connected to the top area. I will say there is some amount of rust on the support bracket to the left of the MICU, so a little more optimistic that this is indeed the source of my issues.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts