Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, first post here!

I am trying to replace the driver side inner brake light assembly - the one that is on the trunk hatch itself. It has a screw that is under the trim piece between the two parrking lights on the hatch and above the license plate. It covers the hatch release and the lights for the license plate and the rear view camera. I've circled it in the picture below. Does anyone know how to remove this trim piece?

hondaodysseyrear.jpg

·
Registered
302 Posts
On the 05-07 you have to remove the interior trim of the hatch and then you get access to that peice.

When you remove the trim remember there are screws for the handle. If you hank it without taking out those screws you will break the interior trim.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alright, so in case someone finds this thread and has the same problem:

It's a pain the ***. You have to take off all of the interior trim on the hatch to access 1 stinking screw that holds that panel on, and to squeeze the panel plugs that hold that piece on.

Start by removing the top piece of trim on the hatch - I did this with the hatch open and without any tools, just grab it and pull down gently. There are two or three panel plugs and on the ends it has these interlocking pieces with the next trim pieces. One you get one off it will make sense; repeat the other side.

Next you remove the two side trim pieces. Same interlocking pieces at the bottom so I worked my way down and slid the piece up once the two panel plugs were out.

I didn't use a panel popper tool. I guess you could, but I didn't need it for these three pieces.

Now the tough one: the main panel. First off, take off the three access covers for the bulb access (the 2 panels 1/2 way up on either side) and then the center botttom panel that covers the hatch release mechanism. Next remove the cover to the handle - there is a slot on one side for a screwdriver that you can use to carefully lift this cover off. As first it doens't appear like there is a cover on this handle - but there is. Once you get the cover off there are two screws to remove (phillips head). Carefully pry the hatch release switch out and unplug it.

Now you're ready to start popping plugs - and there's a lot of them. I started on the passenger side and worked my way towards the center then moved to the other side and worked my way to center until the panel popped off. I did use the tool here for the ones along the edges and to reach in to some of the center ones as otherwise you just can't pull on them properly. It is not heavy but is a bit awkward to pull off by yourself - you have to move it around the locking mechanism. Putting it back on definitely requires two people so you can line up the plugs properly.

Anyway, now that all of the panels are off, locate the inside part of the hatch where that trim piece is located. Easiest way to do this is to follow the rear view camera wires. On the opposite side of that piece from the camera (right side looking from the inside at the hatch) there is a screw about where the camera is on the other side. Remove that screw. Then unplug the two license plate lights. Unplug the camera - for this one you have to trace the wire back to a plug over on the left side of the door (from the inside) and down a ways from the camera. I pushed the camera's weather boot where the wires go through the door out from the inside at this point and I unclipped it and pulled it off. Just be careful as you pull the camera wires through.

Back on the inside of the hatch, there are then 4 white plugs going horizontally behind the trim piece that look different from the plugs in the door - like you could put a flat head screwdriver in between the two arms that have the flanges that hold the clips in. I squeezed the ends of these arms until the flanges cleared the hole and then pushed out. With two people this would be easy as you could do two on one side at the same time. I worked my way from right to left and only had to redo the first plug twice until I was able to get the second plug out too; then the other two were easy. That's it, you can now pull that trim piece off.

A heck of a lot of work to be able to remove the interior rear light assembly. The assembly itself has 4 nuts and a few clips - and one stinking hole that lines up with a tooth/post on this trim piece - the spot on the light is that little grey square with the round hole that juts out from the top right of the light.

Honda Light fixture.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts