Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not promoting "RECKLESS DRIVING". I'm just curious. I have driven my 01 over 90+ MPH on an open freeway a couple times unnoticed. Some people thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE. For those people who thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE please please don't read this thread.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers, 1086 on its way
Lojack

·
Registered
169 Posts
180 km/h (112 mph) on a completely empty stretch of highway (at least 1 mile behind and ahead) with no passengers. This is the Ody's governed top speed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by bjk2001:
I am not promoting "RECKLESS DRIVING". I'm just curious. I have driven my 01 over 90+ MPH on an open freeway a couple times unnoticed. Some people thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE. For those people who thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE please please don't read this thread.

</font>

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mclarke:
180 km/h (112 mph) on a completely empty stretch of highway (at least 1 mile behind and ahead) with no passengers. This is the Ody's governed top speed.

</font>
How does Ody govern the speed? By RPM?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Lojack

·
Registered
342 Posts
How does Ody govern the speed? By RPM?
My guess is road speed. If it's by rpm, I suspect they take into account what gear the transmission is in.

My previous car, a '94 T-Bird governed out at 110. I tried it in 4th gear OD and in 3rd gear. It made no difference in the speed the car was going when the engine shut down. Although I haven't tried this with the Ody, I suspect it's probably common practice.

FWIW,
Drive Safe,
Steve

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
318 Posts
Took mine up to 210Km/hour (~126MPH) on
a very long open stretch, restricted access road.

Its a 2000 EX

Best regards from Canada

RobertC

</font>

P

·
0 Posts
You lucky duck! I wish we had some of those around here! Cops come in swarms around here (luckily they haven't caught me!).

My brother got his beater '86 Ranger (automatic) up to 120 on I-15. He doesn't fall under the safe driver category, unfortunately (at least his truck bit the dust and he is now driving a sardine can with wheels). Oh, and did I mention that he has FIVE speeding tickets and I have NONE!! Ha ha, I even have a waaaay nicer car too!

*gloating*

Michelle

------------------

• 1995 Civic Teal DX Coupe
  • 2002 RP Odyssey EXL-RES (soon!)
  • 1987 Blue Civic Sedan
  • 1990 Grey Chrysler LeBaron GTC Convertable
  • '86 Silver Toyota LE Van
  • 1967 Honda Dream Motorcycle
[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
169 Posts
My guess is that top speed is governed by the speedometer, since engine RPM isn't that high at top speed; but who knows with all of the computerized junk these days. There's really no way to tell what the actual top speed is without a radar/lidar gun, but few people are going to blast through a speed trap just to see "what she'll do".

For those who don't know, electronic speed governors are there to ensure that the speed rating on the tires isn't exceeded.

[This message has been edited by mclarke (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by mclarke:
My guess is that top speed is governed by the speedometer, since engine RPM isn't that high at top speed; but who knows with all of the computerized junk these days. There's really no way to tell what the actual top speed is without a radar/lidar gun, but few people are going to blast through a speed trap just to see "what she'll do".

For those who don't know, electronic speed governors are there to ensure that the speed rating on the tires isn't exceeded.

[This message has been edited by mclarke (edited 08-24-2001).]
</font>
mclarke:

Speedometer makes sense to me!

Michelle:

Knock on wood.

------------------
'01 GG EX
Lojack

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 08-24-2001).]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Some people thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE. For those people who thinks FAST is IRRESPONSIBLE please please don't read this thread.

</font>
I agree--fast is notirresponsible in most circumstances. Driving at 100 MPH on an open freeway is perfectly fine in my book...but trying to go 100 weaving in and out of traffic is VERY irresponsible.

I can't promise I'll drive my Ody like a granny. In fact, I'll probably make a few runs with the GTech just to see what it can do.
The Ody will be my wife's car, and she's a much worse speed demon than I am!

------------------
1999 Ford SVT Cobra Convertible #3718 of 4055
Triple black with many coats of Zaino
Steeda pullies & T/A, 3.73's, Bassani X-pipe, Mac CAI

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Snake:
I agree--fast is notirresponsible in most circumstances. Driving at 100 MPH on an open freeway is perfectly fine in my book...but trying to go 100 weaving in and out of traffic is VERY irresponsible.

I can't promise I'll drive my Ody like a granny. In fact, I'll probably make a few runs with the GTech just to see what it can do.
The Ody will be my wife's car, and she's a much worse speed demon than I am!
</font>
Is she? LOL!
Who won the speed title?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Lojack

[This message has been edited by bjk2001 (edited 08-25-2001).]

·
Registered
564 Posts
Actually, there is a very easy way to accurately judge your speed. With GPS! Too bad the Honda factory GPS doesn't have that feature, but many other aftermarket units do, and they're quite accurate. Sure hope they raise the limiter for the 240HP of the 2002...but probably not if it has the same tires.

I just came from a 2001 V70 T5. 130mph easy. I mean TOO easy. My GPS stores the highest speed since reset. I'll have to keep that one in there.

- Darell

------------------
Ordered:
2002 EXL-NAV. White/fern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts