Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious, normally what range of RPM's do you put your Ody through? I try to keep things below 3000 if I can (<2500 rpm), but have taken it to about 4000 rpm's. I know the redline is way beyond this, but I was wondering if I'm hurting the engine at all? This is my 1st Honda V6, my other Honda is a 1.5 I-4 which is at 3500 rpm just to go 65 mph (3 spd auto...). Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
I've been to 5000 a couple of time. I think under hard acceleration it shifts out at 5500. I'm in the 3000 - 4000 rpm range daily. Of course, the van stays under 3000 rpm 99% of the time. The motor is as solid as my SE-R's which gets taken to 8000 rpm daily.

It's amazing how quick that hulk of a van really is.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
261 Posts
think somewhere around 3300 is my most frequent. Like Jim, I seldom go to 5000-and-above unless I'm accelerating hard. I wouldnt say that the van is fast even under full acceleration at just a tad below the redlines. Its a very subjective topic. But I commute in around suburbs and highways....who cares about being fast or not - I'll just get my wife's '96 Porsche whenever I feel the need to blow my wig off..OOoops...ok now you know I'm bald

------------------
abyez
'99 GG EX

·
Registered
59 Posts
Usually, I'm just around 3000 for city driving. When on the freeway, it drops down in the neighborhood of 2300. While accelerating up a hill, I've hit 4000+.

------------------
Warren - '01 GG EX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well you guys are really missing out on what the van can do. From about 3200 till 6200 she really screams. The next time you are at a red light you should take the TCS off if you have an EX and mash the peddle to the floor and you would be surprised on what the van can do. The highest I had the van was at 6200 coming out of a toll both. But then again I'm a lead foot.

·
Registered
910 Posts
haha........I have taken the van to the redline when I was going up the highway to Whistler with my friend in his X5 4.4i. I am pretty impressed with the speed because he was never able to disappear in front of me.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I've floored mine til the computer said "shift" many times and always thought it had gone to redline. After seeing the question above, I double checked the shiftpoint to actually see the rpm at a full throttle, first to second gear shift. It was only about 5800 rpm.

How does this compare to your Odys at full throttle shifts?

PS: I also think these things go pretty well for the heavyweights they are, especially from about 35 mph and up.

------------------
Chuck
'01 MB EX-NAV Pics and Projects

1 - 7 of 7 Posts