Honda Odyssey Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

· Registered
478 Posts
After just one fail you wishing about getting rid of it? lol some people go through multiple fails before wishing about getting rid of their cars 🤣

But seriously, it isn't anything new, unfortunately Honda's reliability is down compared to previous generations

I personally had a Nissan Rogue Sport and after 100 miles got a new replacement engine with new CVT because everything failed at once... 30k miles later had zero service visits other than oil changes, so just give it another chance

· Registered
5 Posts
I've had three Odysseys- all had minor annoying recall issues (like the sliding door sticking or infotainment failing), but nothing like this. I was driving 70 on the highway loaded with kids, the van shifted out of drive and wouldn't get back in. Had I been merging or if traffic was worse, that could have been a serious issue with loss of power. Primarily, it really kills my confidence in its safety..

I can deal with minor problems, but not major overhauls. Sadly, I never have problems buying used cars.. In this case, we saved up enough to get the Odyssey new without a loan, so it stings even more.

· Registered
9 Posts
We picked up a 19 Elite last Friday, just short of 36k on it. The 10 speed has been very good in my opinion. I loved seeing it keep the RPM's low at higher highway speeds while cruising. Super smooth setup. Happy we were able to avoid the ZF9

· Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
75 Posts
I've had three Odysseys- all had minor annoying recall issues (like the sliding door sticking or infotainment failing), but nothing like this. I was driving 70 on the highway loaded with kids, the van shifted out of drive and wouldn't get back in. Had I been merging or if traffic was worse, that could have been a serious issue with loss of power. Primarily, it really kills my confidence in its safety..

I can deal with minor problems, but not major overhauls. Sadly, I never have problems buying used cars.. In this case, we saved up enough to get the Odyssey new without a loan, so it stings even more.
I'm curious if you still have the vehicle and if it's doing okay. This reminded me of a good YouTube video by Your Car Angel: Should You Buy a New or Used Car?

I'm hoping now you're in the flat part of the bottom of the curve he mentions.

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts

· Registered
1,381 Posts
Purchased a 2018 Odyssey Elite (10-spd) used from an individual @ 30K miles in Aug'20. Now (Dec'21) we are at 60K miles and i just changed (drain/refill 1x) tonight. The fluid came out a clean tanish color w/slightest burgandy tint. No smell at all. This may be the smoothest, fastest, and overall best shifting transmission I've experienced. I'm used to Toyota/Lexus transmissions from 1980 models to present (80, 82 Supra, 92 Camry, ES). I've been very happy with it. Background. only transmission failure I've endured was a sub 50K mile 1980 Supra that a shop put 'universal' ATF in place of the Type F specified in the manual. Lost overdrive initially after which they flushed with Type F. Tranny failed within 6 months.

· Registered
2022 Odyssey EX-L Lunar Silver Metallic, Gray Interior
75 Posts
Looking through this thread, it seems like the 10-speed is solid overall, though there have definitely been some lemons. Having a 10-speed myself, I'm hoping I've got one of the good ones.

· Registered
14 Posts
Hi,

I'm looking to get feedback on how well the 10 speed transmission has been holding up on the Odyssey. I have had plenty of Hondas in the past. The early models were great, but then the J series V6s drove me crazy with all the transmission problems they had no matter which gearbox they put in the car (list below). Most of them would drive like crap until they broke, so it made the driving experience very annoying. Even until this day, they are still using transmissions that are problematic (i.e. the ZF 9 speed). I moved away from the brand after 2013 but we are expecting a child later this year so am looking for a minivan now. Naturally, the Odyssey is at the top of the list. I want to know however, how the 10 speed transmissions are holding up. Has anyone had problems with them (i.e. complete failure, hard shifting, etc). I know it is relatively new, but looking to get opinions anyway. Thanks!

1990 Accord EX (drove it 250k miles with no problems)
1994 Accord EX-L (my favorite honda of all time, drove 225k miles with 0 problems).
----------------
99 TL 4 speed started slipping @ 90k and always shifted rough from about 30k+ miles
2003 TL-S had three transmissions within the first 100k
2007 TL had a rough transmission
2013 TL SHAWD shifted way too early which created a big jerk from 1-2 and torque converter issues which started at ~20k mileage. Dealer acknowledged the problem but software updated etc did not fix anything.
ZF 9 speed issues on all the TLX's seem to be a nightmare, along with Pilots which had the same transmission.
We purchased a 2020 Honda Odyssey Elite, and over the last 2 years have noted some rough shifting but very rarely. On Friday the vehicle lurched forward and then failed to shift after stopping at a light. The vehicle would no longer go beyond 1st gear and every warning light on the dash lit up including: emissions warning, check engine, back up camera and sensors. The vehicle was picked up by flat bed at my home 5 minutes away, and the dealer informed us that the transmission needed to be replaced due to an electronic defect that "was forcing the transmission into 2 gears at the same time".....likely a continuation of the vehicle moving into park while moving. Honda has a horrible reputation of ignoring serious problems. They also ignored the awful popping noise that the vehicles speaker constantly put out until the NTSB intervened and that problem was resolved in an afternoon at the dealers after months of complaints....I would stay away from these vehicles. Honda didn't even offer a loaner for transmission replacement on a 2 year old car with 24,000 miles on it after spending $50K on the vehicle. The gas mileage for these vehicles is also much lower than advertised..

· Registered
2019 EX-L
306 Posts
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.