Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, thanks for the great forum.

I have a 2k3 Ody EX-L, 97k miles. I have a Magnefine ready to install. To those who have had a Magnefine installed for some time now... how's it going? Any flow issues or leaks? Reasons to be concerned? There are several choices on where to install the Magnefine on the cooler line and I'd like input on where the best location to use. Looking for ease of change and best protection for the filter in the engine bay possible. I contacted Magnefine for their recommended application guide and they pointed me to this forum (which I'd been reading already).

I realize some have posted before but pictures and/or diagrams are most appreciated as well so I can get some perspective on the install.

Thanks.
Evan

·
Super Moderator
13,842 Posts
Quaiboy said:
Hi all, thanks for the great forum.

I have a 2k3 Ody EX-L, 97k miles. I have a Magnefine ready to install. To those who have had a Magnefine installed for some time now... how's it going? Any flow issues or leaks? Reasons to be concerned? There are several choices on where to install the Magnefine on the cooler line and I'd like input on where the best location to use. Looking for ease of change and best protection for the filter in the engine bay possible. I contacted Magnefine for their recommended application guide and they pointed me to this forum (which I'd been reading already).

I realize some have posted before but pictures and/or diagrams are most appreciated as well so I can get some perspective on the install.

Thanks.
Evan
Welcome to the OdyClub Evan. There are DIY thrads with Pix posted on here. Punch in magnefine and install in the search box and read on. You should get several hits. If not, play with the words by separating them by AND in the search. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Re: How is your Magnefine doing?

dvpatel said:
Welcome to the OdyClub Evan. There are DIY thrads with Pix posted on here. Punch in magnefine and install in the search box and read on. You should get several hits. If not, play with the words by separating them by AND in the search. :)
Thx for the welcome dvpatel. I have read many of the threads, I meant for this to be more of a "followup" to the folks who have installed the Magnefine to see if any problems have arisen since their original posts. Simply want to avoid any possible pitfalls before proceeding with my install.

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
Had a Magnefine ATF filter installed now for 4 years now. No problems - no leaks. ONly have 67,000 miles on the van though.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
One thing I never understand about Magnefine is that: since the Trans already has an ATF filter inside the housing, adding a Magnefine may be redundant???

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
cnn said:
One thing I never understand about Magnefine is that: since the Trans already has an ATF filter inside the housing, adding a Magnefine may be redundant???
From what I've read, the Magnefine may have a more sensitive filter element than the OEM, plus it has the magnet.

When the transmission gives out, it's possible that the 3rd gear can shatter and cause the transmission to seize. I'm hoping if that were to happen the Magnefine would catch any metal rather than it catching in the TC or another gear. I'd rather gracefully pull the car over instead of going to a dead-stop in traffic.

In my situation, I plan to change the OEM filter one time (with the great directions from this forum) and add the Magnefine for an easier change every 30k miles. I got them for $16 each shipped on ebay with the hose clamps, so a bit cheaper than the OEM replacement as well.

Thanks for the feedback NDNV.

Evan

·
Registered
11 Posts
cnn said:
Agreed.

Changing the ATF every 15k(ish) is far more critical than adding additional filtration.

·
Registered
6,076 Posts
The 1999-2001 Odyssey transmission does not have an external or serviceable ATF filter. The Magnefine for this application is a no-brainer. Degrading internals strongly suggested to contribute to early failure of these transmissions. Degrading internals create debris and clog ports, screens and solenoids. Frequent drain and fills of ATF and a Magnefine filter (and an additional ATF cooler if chosen) seemed to be the answer. So far so good.

Other model years are a different story on the need for additional filtration of the ATF. I would on the 2002-2004s also.

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
cnn said:
I don't believe so, but I've been mistaken in a big way before, so just my observations: my take on this is that not all of the fluid output goes through the OEM filter on the top of our 2002 and 2003 EX's (not sure of 2005 and later Odys).

The large volume of fluid running to the ATF in-tank radiator "cooler" does not have a filter in the fluid path, so a Magnefine is a good place to put this.

As well, that OEM filter looks like a cellulose filter, which can't stop particles still large enough to be of concern. As well, it doesn't catch the fine ferrous particles that can act as co-catalysts for oxidation, which shortens life of the ATF. Granted, that ferrous stuff is still in contact with the ATF when clumped onto a magnet, but the big plus is that this very, very fine debris is not finely distributed throughout the ATF to do its damage...rather, it's concentrated in one area with much less surface area exposed to the fluid. For example, think in terms of a thin layer of sediment at the bottom of a swimming pool, versus having it stirred up throughout the water column.

Extra filtration always helps. Periodic fluid changes to keep the fluid clean and the additives package fresh always helps. They're both good to do.

OF

Edited for: added disclaimer on my knowledge base on this stuff!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I put one on my 2010 EX at 8,000 miles. At the same time, I performed a partial drain and fill with Honda ATF-Z1. The fluid looked fine and the transmission pan plug had a decent amount of particulate on it.

I put the Magnefine between the aux cooler and transmission fluid return port.

I changed the Magnefine filter out this wekend with a new one at 16,000 miles and perfomed another partial drain and fill but this time used 4-quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF. The Magnefine looked great and had a very, very fine metal "slush" on the magnet. It was so fine that when I rubbed it between my fingers, it felt like wet graphite and was hard as hell to clean out of my pores. The filter media itself was dark red but clean of particulate.

I will continue this 8,000 mile partial fluid change but will now wait 16,000 miles between Magenefine filter changes.

It may seem to be overkill but this is the way that I do things and I have NEVER had a problem with a vehicle that was related to fluid failures.

P.S. You may ask "why only a partial fluid change instead of a full fluid swap over to Amsoil?" Since I am changing my fluid more frequently than most, by the time I reach 32,000 miles, I will have partially changed the fluid 4-times...3 of them with Amsoil. I will have about 80% of the fluid being Amsoil. This continued method will basically have new fluid constantly being introduced to the transmission while the older fluid (having a recommended change interval of 50,000 miles) will still have a significant portion of its usefull life left. That, coupled with frequent filter changes should greatly extend the life on the transmission...or at least that is the goal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yessydo Adnoh said:
... I changed the Magenefine filter out this wekend with a new one at 16,000 miles and perfomed another partial drain and fill but this time used 4-quarts of Amsoil Universal ATF. the Magnefine looked great and had a very, very fine metal "slush" on the magnet. It was so fine that when I rubbed it between my fingers, it felt like wet graphite and was hard as hell to clean out of my pores. The filter media itself was dark red but clean of particulate.

I ended up doing kind of what you described myself a week ago. I installed the Magnefine and did 3x drain/fill with Redline D4 over 100mi. Heavy sludge 1st drain, almost none 2nd, and none visible on the 3rd, only when wiped with the towel could I see the graphite.

No leaks and transmission is now very responsive. Crisp shifts, less whine, very impressive overall. I attempted to change the OEM filter as well today but could not get one of the bracket bolts off with any of my tools-it is quite stuck. I'll try again when I have more time.

I only bought the van a few months ago and factored a (Jasper) transmission replacement into the price I paid, but I'd love to see to it last. Family likes the van very much and it's one of the safest cars on the road. I wouldn't put up with this OCI otherwise. Safety first.

Good luck with the Amsoil, it was a close second in my research on what to switch to. Z1 is pitifully inadequate in this application. Time will tell if DW-1 is an improvement but aftermarket fluids have a lot more credibility right now.

Of course, it seems no amount of maintenance can overcome the shoddy design... just buying time.

-Evan

·
Registered
249 Posts
Changed my Magnefine yesterday ... definitely doable but not easy & made harder because I have a after-market tranny cooler. Had to remove the front bumper and the battery tray to get to it. Anyway, here are some pics of my first Magnefine's innards (yes, you can twist off the cap .. used a vise to hold the body & a pipe wrench on the cap.) As you can see, the pleats are virtually metal-fragment free. The round magnet only has micro thin layer of gray sludge-like matter. This is after 21 months and about 15K miles. I guess this is a somewhat positive sign that my replacement tranny is fairly healthy after its installation about 60K miles back. Don't know if I will change the filter again for quite a while because of this experience and the fact that I don't put many miles on the van. Plus, it is an'02 and I maybe won't keep it another 2 years. BTW, that magnet is REALLY strong ... couldn't put anything metal anywhere near it when photographing.

Mag.jpg Mag 2.jpg

·
Registered
116 Posts
Here's a pic of my tranny plug magnet. At 33K miles, this is probably the first AT fluid replacement this car has received. After seeing this I want to install a Magnefine. Didn't find any info on 4th gen installs, so I may take photos and do a writeup. Anybody know if 3/8 inch is typical size for 2012 / 4th gen tranny flex return lines (Magnefine sizes are for 5/16, 3/8, and 1/2 inch lines)?

·
Registered
9,247 Posts
Wow, that's significant buildup!

Even if you install a Magnefine, you might also want to change the ATF more often to get any suspended particles out of there.

Dave

·
Registered
7,787 Posts
I'm guessing that you'll get less of those ferrous materials (clutch, bearing and gear particles) on the drain plug magnet with successive drains & refills over the years as the transmission wears in .... but [email protected]! It sure does look like a bit of a chia pet.

Anyways, 3/8" I.D. hose for ATF cooler lines has been typical for all Honda generations, but I am not 100% sure about your 2012 (Gen 4, 2011-2016). However, we've had forum members install Tru-Cool LPD coolers like the 4544 (fin-and-plate) and the 4454 (stacked plate) on Gen 4 Odys, and those use 3/8" hose nibs.

Anybody on the forum install a cooler set up for 3/8" lines on a current Gen 4 Ody care to reply?

OF

1 - 15 of 15 Posts