Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long did your OEM battery lasted you, or if you are still on your OEM battery?

Please list model year, miles on the clock, and RES if equipped.

TIA

·
Registered
372 Posts
20 months, about 15K miles. RES & NAVI

·
Registered
252 Posts
Less than a year because the lights do not go off if you leave the side doors open and key in the ignition. Killed the battery at three times the first month then every few weeks. Eventually my charger rejected the battery stated it was bad. Goofy design considering we park in our garage with the keys in it and the kids leave the side doors open until the next day. We now just leave the main switch on "OFF" This is the only thing I do not like about the Odyssey.

·
Registered
60 Posts
2005 EX-L, w/o RES, 6 years on OEM battery. Replaced last year at 63k miles just for peace of mind (the battery itself hadn't shown any sign of going bad, but we didn't want to take a chance w/ winter approaching)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I believe it was 7 yrs. Just died w/o warning.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Less than a year because the lights do not go off if you leave the side doors open and key in the ignition. Killed the battery at three times the first month then every few weeks. Eventually my charger rejected the battery stated it was bad. Goofy design considering we park in our garage with the keys in it and the kids leave the side doors open until the next day. We now just leave the main switch on "OFF" This is the only thing I do not like about the Odyssey.
So, it's too much trouble to take the keys out and put them on the dash? :huh:

And your kids are too lazy to close the doors? :tongue:

And Honda is goofy? ;)

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
On the same topic of dead battery, I just purchased the "Car Voltmeter"; basically a Voltmeter that you simply plug into the cigarette socket and read.
1. Battery Voltage (key in position II but engine OFF).
2. Alternator Voltage (engine running).

I got "Vector VEC008" model on ebay for $10/each. I keep it in the glove box and it is a fantastic device that allows you to check the state of your battery and alternator without leaving the cockpit! Highly recommended for any vehicles that you own.

Here is a photo of the "Car Voltmeter":

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
My OEM battery was repaced under warranty at 2yrs, 4months, 2009 EXL-RES, 36k miles.

I don't know why, I can't get batteries to last more than 3 years. On my 2005 EXL-RES, the OEM battery only lasted 2.5 years.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
...I don't know why, I can't get batteries to last more than 3 years. On my 2005 EXL-RES, the OEM battery only lasted 2.5 years.
I don't know who makes battery for Honda but the quality is not very good.

My OEM battery failed at 37m/37K miles.
I have been using Autozone Duralast battery in my 3 cars at home, zero problems even 5 years later.

FYI, Autozone offers a few different batteries:

1. Duralast 24F-DL: $85; 2-yr warranty
2. Duralast Gold 24F-DLG: $95; 3yr warranty.

I always use Duralast (not Duralast Gold) over the years ---> zero problems.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My OEM battery was repaced under warranty at 2yrs, 4months, 2009 EXL-RES, 36k miles.
I didn't know it was a warranty item. I replaced my 06 Accord I4 battery at 2.5 years because I figure it was not. Now, I'm looking at the Ody.

Is battery a warranty item?

·
Registered
286 Posts

I don't know why, I can't get batteries to last more than 3 years. On my 2005 EXL-RES, the OEM battery only lasted 2.5 years.
I am no battery scientist so this is just my observations.
I lived in the Northeast for a number of years and batteries lasted longer (4 or 5 years for my cars, IIRC). The batteries would become weaker and it took longer to start the car on a cold morning. That was the warning to buy a new battery.

After I moved to TX, these batteries seemed to conked out w/o warning.
One day, car started fine then next day no start. Batteries died in the summer and winter.
I didn't leave doors opened or dome light on over night but batteries would died a sudden death around 3 years.

So it seems the long and hot summers in TX had a way of noticeably reducing the battery life as well as causing sudden battery death.

·
Registered
252 Posts
So, it's too much trouble to take the keys out and put them on the dash? :huh:

And your kids are too lazy to close the doors? :tongue:

And Honda is goofy? ;)
These were the first things I said to my wife, but after years of driving and parking in the garage, getting her to remember to pull the key out every time was hopeless. She is a 'soccer Mom' (really a football/cheer Mom) so the van go in/out of the garage a few times a day so she would remember 2 of the 3 times. As for the doors, I would rather they just leave them open to at least make an attempt at stretching out the life of the motor/cables. Yes, every semi-modern car I have had turn off the interior light after a set amount of time to prevent the battery from discharging, so Honda is goofy although I will always be a customer.

Old habits are hard to break. :>)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just replaced my OEM battery on my 2005 EXL (no RES no NAV). This was done in August 2011, so I got 6 years out of it. I am fine with that, longest I ever got out of a battery on all the cars i have owned is 7 yrs.

I had to jump start it once this winter in Feb 2011 on a -25 Celsius day. I figured I would need to replace it soon, but it lasted until this summer. We went on a vacation for about a week and came back to a dead battery. I am sure i could have charged it and continued on but with winter coming I did not want to take a chance and replaced it with a Canadian Tire Motomaster battery.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
As for the doors, I would rather they just leave them open to at least make an attempt at stretching out the life of the motor/cables. Yes, every semi-modern car I have had turn off the interior light after a set amount of time to prevent the battery from discharging, so Honda is goofy although I will always be a customer.

Old habits are hard to break. :>)
I asked that exact question here when we got the Ody about leaving the sliding door open. The response was this. The weight of the door, hanging on the hinge may cause more harm than trying to save the power door from wearing out. And that is a big (and heavy) door. As a busy family, yes, sometimes I would just like to leave it open too. But I always try to closed it.

As for the interior lights turning off, they do turn off automatically. I guess if the keys are out. I never (don't want to) try it with the keys in. At least that's how my 09 works. Maybe she can pull out the keys and leave it in the center cup holder instead?

·
Registered
34 Posts
2007 EXL w/o NAV or RES, 31,200 miles, 36 months. I didn't expect much better as anything parked outside all the time in Phoenix is lucky to last that long.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2008 EX with Nav and Res. Replaced twice already under warranty. Honda batteries suck. Now that I'm out of the 3 year warranty period, will replace with another brand for sure.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Let's say I buy a 3 year battery from Autozone. If I want to replace it again at 2.5 years, will that be at full cost? It's not a warranty issue like it failed. More like are they prorated in terms of replacement cost?

·
Registered
174 Posts
I am no battery scientist so this is just my observations.

So it seems the long and hot summers in TX had a way of noticeably reducing the battery life as well as causing sudden battery death.
If one gets three years out of a good battery in Florida, that's considered lucky. My 09 TSX 6MT Tech didn't make it a year. The 51R was replaced 11 months after delivery, under warranty. I don't know about the batteries in the Ody, but the 51R was made by Panasonic. :(

1 - 20 of 61 Posts