Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my 07 Odyssey in for rear brake inspection. I have just under 30,000Km on my Ody. I barely use it as it is a second vehicle. I am the original owner as well. I was getting a weird shuddering sound in the rear when I applied the brakes. After inspection, I geta call from the dealer telling me they need to machine the rear rotors because they are badly warped. Then to make things worse, they tell me my rear shocks are leaking so they need to be replaced. I'm a little surprised as I have owned nothing but Hondas. I have never had to have rotors machined so early, especially the rears. I don't even drive this thing hard. My 08 Accord, which has over 60,000km, gets driven much harder, and all is fine with it. Now I don't expect shocks to last forever but I do expect them to last longer than 30,000KM. Definetly won't replace them with stock shocks if this is the life expectancy of them. Is this normal for an 2007 Odyssey?

·
Registered
215 Posts
That seems pretty early to me. The rear brakes should not have warped. The rear shocks should definitely not have failed so soon and you should be able to get Honda to take care of that. I just replaced my brakes after 116,000 miles. And, I just noticed a leaking rear shock and will replace both rear shocks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
For the rear shocks. It's two years this July with 39k to be exact. Maybe sooner if only I had that break and suspension inspection done much earlier (first time). Rear shocks felt like that since new. I have an 08 Odyssey which I have traded my 05 Ody for. For the rotors they warped at 8 months. They had to resurface all four rotors meaning they said that the noise were coming from the front and guess what.. Here's the BIG BANG part..the front struts. They were replaced at 3 months. I noticed right away that there was something wrong with the van as soon as I drove it off the lot. I was on the phone with my sales man as I was driving home.

I still have many issues with the van from not driving straight, knocking noise while turning as you drove off to swooshing noise when you go over bumps (not all the time depending on the temperature.. cooler not cold).

I learned my lesson. Do not sign anything without test driving the vehicle your buying.

·
Registered
7 Posts
2007 shocks (pricing and info)

How much did you pay to have the shocks replaced? What parts are involved other than them if any? There is a leak in mind. My quote is 450 or so. Pads will need to be replaced as well sometime soon.

2007 odyssey is at 47K.

Just had front pads replaces and rotors resurfaced. Still some minor squeaking every once in awhile when pulling into a parking spot. Alignment just done for 109 at dealership.

Had all the recall stuff only recently done.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a '06 EXL and I replaced the rear shocks on mine after 28000km. OEM Honda ones are $192 in Canada so I replaced them with Monroe Sensa-Tracs for $63 each. Pretty happy with them so far.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
1. My REAR shocks leaked at 30K, while under warranty.
Dealer replaced them for free.

However, if you want to replace the Shocks yourself, it is very very easy to do.
Info in the Brake DIY thread. See post #10.
Once the van is SAFELY supported on jackstand, use a floor jack to gently raise the Rear control arm and the REAR shock should come out:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/85532-diy-2007-honda-odyssey-front-brake-rotor.html

2. REAR Rotor info is also in that DIY.
Easy DIY if you want to tackle it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the rear shocks. It's two years this July with 39k to be exact. Maybe sooner if only I had that break and suspension inspection done much earlier (first time). Rear shocks felt like that since new. I have an 08 Odyssey which I have traded my 05 Ody for. For the rotors they warped at 8 months. They had to resurface all four rotors meaning they said that the noise were coming from the front and guess what.. Here's the BIG BANG part..the front struts. They were replaced at 3 months. I noticed right away that there was something wrong with the van as soon as I drove it off the lot. I was on the phone with my sales man as I was driving home.

I still have many issues with the van from not driving straight, knocking noise while turning as you drove off to swooshing noise when you go over bumps (not all the time depending on the temperature.. cooler not cold).

I learned my lesson. Do not sign anything without test driving the vehicle your buying.

On the knocking stuff, it is possible that it is a bad axel. Got mine replaced under powertrain warranty. Have them check it out. Basically if you do donuts going forward and backwards, you hear this loud clicking...maybe it is your knocking noise.

Not sure about swooshing/driving straight....especially since you had the suspension taken care of. Guess the alignment didn't fix it eh? Could be the tires?

·
Registered
7 Posts
1. My REAR shocks leaked at 30K, while under warranty.
Dealer replaced them for free.

However, if you want to replace the Shocks yourself, it is very very easy to do.
Info in the Brake DIY thread. See post #10.
Once the van is SAFELY supported on jackstand, use a floor jack to gently raise the Rear control arm and the REAR shock should come out:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/85532-diy-2007-honda-odyssey-front-brake-rotor.html

2. REAR Rotor info is also in that DIY.
Easy DIY if you want to tackle it.

Thanks for a great write up CNN. I am feeling bold enough to tackle the shocks and the rear brake pads (rotors fine for now).

Just bought Akebono ceramic and the Monroe shocks all for $100 tax and delivery through Advance Auto Parts. :D Special is being run (20 off 100; 30 off 150 spent or 20% off total) and if you call them and tell them you haven't been registered online they will knock off more.

If you don't hear back from me within a month, its because I have been squished by my wifes van or am just :huh:. and embarrased that I couldn't do it.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
If you don't hear back from me within a month, its because I have been squished by my wifes van or am just :huh:. and embarrased that I couldn't do it.
Don't be embarrassed. Safety first.

The van is heavy (4500 lbs IIRC).

Use only 3-ton (not 2-ton) jackstands to be safe. Sears sell a pair (qty =2) for $30:
Sears: Online department store featuring appliances, tools, fitness equipment and more

Place jackstand under the Rear jacking point.
I left the jack (not jackstand) next to jackstand as double insurance.
This way I have BOTH the jack + jackstand in place.

I don't want to scare you but a car on jackstand is potentially dangerous.
So use double insurance: I also place the tire + a piece of wood on top of the tire and slide it under the side of the van, close to the jackstand as the last line of defense.

Have fun.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Thanks and will be safe.

One more question if you don't mind, do you need the rear brake kits with shims? Makes a diff?

Thanks again.
I have stopped using brake shims now for 10 years. They create more problems than they solve it.

I apply a small smear of anti-squeal compound (a few $ at autoparts store) on the caliper piston. So once it is all installed, the contact between the piston and the brake pad is nice quiet.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is this normal for an 2007 Odyssey?

Is is normal for a dealer service department to locate more work for you to pay for than you planned on and needed done. Probably so. Definitely verify the problem before paying someone to do the work, and ask for the old parts.

·
Registered
3,974 Posts
So use double insurance: I also place the tire + a piece of wood on top of the tire and slide it under the side of the van, close to the jackstand as the last line of defense.
I've always been a bit uncomfortable working on (under) a car, even when it was supported by a jack and jackstands. Adding the tire under there is a good idea and extra line of defense.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
...knocking noise while turning as you drove off...
we had an issue with knocking/rattling as we went over bumps, pulled out of the driveway, accelerated, etc. - turned out the bolt had backed out of the front transmission mount - replaced it and the noise has been gone ever since.

For the OP - replaced all the struts at 112k miles - none of them were leaking, but they were badly worn. Did OEM up front and monroe sensa-trac in the rear. Also had to replace one of the bumpstops (had been obliterated by the blown strut)

For rotors, we have over 120k miles on the van, and still have the original rotors front and rear, and the original pads in the rear (about 50% worn) - have replaced the front pads three times and the rotors were still at 27.3mm - some scoring, but nothing major and no pedal pulsation.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts