Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how long the wait is/has been for those who are still waiting or have already recieved their Odyssey. Maybe those who have been waiting the longest can share their secret for their patience.

I've been waiting for a RRP EX-L since May 28th. It still could be another 6-8 weeks!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just my experience here:
We waited for our 2002 Fern Metallic (GG in the U.S.) for 3 weeks. Our pick-up date was yesterday (Saturday Sept 29, 2001). The dealer called me up Friday at 4:30pm saying I can't pick up our van because it's been scratched. I said, "What the $%&#?". Naturally, we were all upset especially the kids because they can't tell us when the next one would be coming in.

Saturday came, dropped off my wife at the airport and VTECed to that dealership which is about 40 miles from where I was. Looked for the sales manager & demaned an explanation. He saw me as I was getting out of the car. He approached me and said they have another one in the lot for me. He placed a SOLD sign on it so they won't sell it to another one considering that Saturday usually is busy. Gave me the new VIN number and then showed me the Ody that was supposed to me ours.

It seemed that someone backed up on the rear quarter panel that it scrapped the paint off the lip of the fedner well taking the paint off. If I hadn't dropped by Saturday I may be waiting for another 3-6 weeks for the next one.

Anyway, the good news is that I did get a new one right away and will be picking it up this coming Saturday (crossing my fingers here).

Sorry if it's too long.

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
The second week of August I finally told my salesman to sign me up for a 2002. He talked me into leather. A few days later, I learned about RES. I faxed him and said, "ADD RES!" I also told him, "Any color but white."

A week or so later he said he had his list with build dates, and their first scheduled RES was a silver unit to be built the last week of August. Do I want it? I said, sure, why not. It was built, and several days later appeared.

No big deal, and this isn't a megadealer of any kind. I wonder if some dealers are intentionally jerking people around on these things to try to keep the hype up, knowing that someday the wait list and MSRP+ deals are going to go away.

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by adam1991:
"Any color but white."
</font>
In the middle of August I asked my dealer for an EXL-NAV in "any color, as long as its white."

Some folks are saying they "ordered" them many months ago, but most likely they were simply added to the dealer's waiting list until they *could* be ordered. My dealer told me that they could not submit their order until August 20th or so (it was the same day that the official pricing was released, whatever that was). So that's how long I've been waiting. I was originally told "early October." Last week I was told "Maybe in the month of November if we're lucky."

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

P

·
0 Posts
We got on the list last March. We were originaly on the 2001 list (put deposit down last November) and then switched after hearing rumors of all the fancy stuff for 2002.

So, as Darell said, our van has been on order as long as is possible, but we've been physically waiting for an Ody about a year (keep in mind we only had a month left to get our 2001 but instead switched).

And we don't have the van yet, the dealer can't seem to figure out why they aren't getting it in. The 2001 we ordered was a TW EX, but we then switched to a 2002 RP EXL-RES. Apparently both those models and colors are popular.

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix ~i~ & Belle (aka Belzebub)
Click here to see my site!
2002 RP EXL-RES (oh where, oh where, can our minivan be???)
1995 Honda Civic DX Coupe-1990 Chrysler LeBaron Convertible-1987 Honda Civic Sedan-1986 Toyota LE Van

·
Registered
207 Posts
>>>>My dealer told me that they could not submit their order until August 20th or so....<<<<

I've been told by no less 3 dealers that they did not intend even to take orders. They were taking the names and phone numbers of prospective purchasers. When they received a shipment, they intended to call those interested in really no particular order (at least that was my understanding). To me, that sounds like, "get them in and create a bidding war-type scenario". I don't know what else they're trying to accomplish by conducting business in that manner (other than alienating a b*ttload of potential customers, including myself).

·
Registered
68 Posts
We went by the dealer on September 9th. I asked them how long the wait would be for a leather with RES. They went and looked at what was coming and said "we have three RES coming - one SS, and two GG." They said they would be delivered about the end of September or first of October. I told them we'd take a GG.

On 9/17 we received a build "date" for the week of 9/23 - 9/28.

Got a call yesterday (9/29) from the dealer. Our van was shipped on 9/27. The dealer said that delivery takes 3-10 days. They also provided a VIN.

So far, everything has been as promised by the dealer. (This was Nelm's Honda in Fayetteville, AR.)

Paid sticker with free splash guards.

Greg

·
Registered
23 Posts
I signed up at four dealers in the So. Cal. area for MSRP. I first put my name in for one in March of this year, they called me about three weeks later but I was on business back east and couldn't buy the car. I had them put me back on the list and in early August I was told mine was shipped and should be in in about 2 to 3 weeks. I told them I wanted to wait for the 2002 RRP EXLRES. I then got my name on three other lists and would have one by now if I wanted Silver, White or GG. I was told mine was built on the 20th through the 24th of this month, shipped on the 25th and I was given the Vin on the 25th. My advice would be to get on as many lists as possible. The one list that I was first on isn't getting a RRPEXLRES until November or later. Hopefully mine will be in by the end of the week. I too think that with the way things are going in our country the wait for these cars will become shorter. Also, one of the Dealerships, Rock Honda in Fontana, said they would sell it too me at MSRP. Well, when the cars started coming in I asked the guy again and he told me no one sells these cars for MSRP. I told him I wouldn't buy a car from him now even if they did drop it too MSRP and to stop calling me. A lot of these Honda dealers can really be jerks. I hope they take it in the shorts if our ecomomy gets real bad, and people buy from some of the more honest, decent dealers (if there can actually be such a thing).

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by anbthomas:
Just curious how long the wait is/has been for those who are still waiting or have already recieved their Odyssey. Maybe those who have been waiting the longest can share their secret for their patience.

I've been waiting for a RRP EX-L since May 28th. It still could be another 6-8 weeks!
</font>
The key seems to be whether or not you want a specific color (especially RRP!) and what part of the country you're in. I agree with oc2002ody, get on as many "lists" as you can.
One thing to at least consider: I finally got tired of hearing "well, we're not sure when we'll get your van in-might be Nov. or Dec..." and went out of state. You can see my post about this elsewhere, but bottom line is, I had the van I wanted the next day! Now just waiting for it to be shipped (gives me time to accumulate all my mods/accessories
)

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

[This message has been edited by ody (edited 09-30-2001).]

·
Registered
234 Posts
Ordered ours on June 18th, and picked it up on Sept. 19th. I guess that makes it three months. Well worth the wait. It drives and handles like a dream, with lots of reserve power.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I gave the dealer a $500 deposit check on July 31. I picked up the Red Rock Pearl EX on September 28. I was very surprised when I found out that he didn't even cash my check. He gave me the check back when we picked up the van. My wife says that that means I need to reconcile my check book more often. Oh well....

-John

·
Registered
157 Posts
Put down a deposit on Aug 15th & received my VIN yesterday for a delivery no later than Oct 15th. I was very specific on color and options. I think specific demand in your delaer's area AND demand for your specific vehicle color and options makes a difference. Honda makes a certain mix and often times forces certian color/options groupings onto the dealers. I was looking for a MB EXL Nav. Some dealer received this and was unsure how quick he could sell it in his area. My dealer needed to trade to get that vehicle for me. In my case, the specific configuration (and low demand for this specific combination) worked to my benefit. Maybe I just got lucky.

------------------
Future Owner '02 MB EXL NAV
Current Owner '96 R Dodge GC ES

·
Registered
25 Posts
Got it in less than three weeks. It's a little luck - the guy in front of me went on vacation and couldn't be located. It's also in the preference you specify. We wanted an LX which I think has less of a demand than EX or higher-end models. Being not picky with color also helps. We could take anything except GG and EP. We ended up picking a MB and passed on the SS which was also available.

To have patience, my experience is that when you put your mind on something else, it comes as a surprise. If you keep reading this forum, it may seem like forever :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts