Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just thinking to myself why i have a mini van now instead of my ford explorer or my 5.0l mustang. obviously, i have kids now. my oldest son "ford" is 27 months and my youngest son "evan" is seven months. is this the main reason for everyone else? if so, how many and how old?
because of the kids and work, i only have time to check the website on weekends (today is a holiday in canada).

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
180 Posts
None! Although we do have 7 llamas, but they don't all fit in the Odyssey at once; just two at a time! However, I have a feeling that I do not fit the average here!!!

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:
i was just thinking to myself why i have a mini van now instead of my ford explorer or my 5.0l mustang. obviously, i have kids now. my oldest son "ford" is 27 months and my youngest son "evan" is seven months. is this the main reason for everyone else? if so, how many and how old?
because of the kids and work, i only have time to check the website on weekends (today is a holiday in canada).

</font>
My youngest is 13, and she still relies on the parental units (me and my wife) for her travel needs. My 17 year old son inherited our old Astro van and has yet to set foot in the new Odyssey-he is definitely NOT a van person (at least from an owner's perspective), but he doesn't argue much over the price of his hand-me-down (free).

------------------
2001 EX/iVES/Infinity Refs/Honda Wood Dash/More Coming!

·
Registered
568 Posts
2 girls here, 13 soon to be 14 and 16. My 16 years old will take over my old 93 Villagers. Once she gets her DL.

My kids love our 01 EX. Especially the Power sliding door (due to the relaiblilty issue for the earlier model) which was one of the reason I was thinking to get a LX at the first place.

Everytimg we gave a ride to their friends, all their friends love the power door. They think its soo "kewl".

I am thinking to put the power door in use when Halloween comes this year. mmm?

------------------
'01 GG EX
Mud Guard, Wheel Lock, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats
leather steerling wheel cover, Pioneer 1655 speakers,
Lojack

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have one son, 2 years and 3 months. My wife is about 7 months pregnant with our daughter.

We decided shortly after our son was born that we needed better family transportation. We made a list of what we wanted, and minivans were last. But then we went through one by one, looking at the pluses and minuses, and ended up deciding that a minivan makes the most practical sense.

It was right around that time that a minivan (Toyota Sienna) finally broke the legacy of minivans being unsafe. Then the Odyssey topped that. Two years later, with number two on the way, we looked at both and decided on the Odyssey.

We absolutely love it. I have no minivan stigma problems and have used it for getting lumber for projects, and we've taken it on a long trip (1500+ miles round trip). It's just the most practical vehicle around - and in my mind that makes me very satisfied.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We have 2kids--- a 3yo and 9 months.....The EX doors are a lifesaver..... My wife gets to drive it the most, obviously because she is hauling kids most of the time. Starting to see quite a few GG EX's around. My 3yo says " there goes another van like ours"

------------------
01 GG EX
Chrysler Cirrus
Le Baron Convertable

·
Registered
206 Posts
Four here - 2 boys (ages 9 yrs. and 22 months) and 2 girls (ages 7 yrs. and 5 weeks)! With the biggest and constant gripe being how the oldest two have to sit in the back since the two youngest are in childseats in the middle row. IT'S NOT FAIR, WE WERE HERE FIRST!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by fordsdad:

</font>
------------------
Future owner of a '02 Ody
Current owner of a '96 Grand Caravan & '98 Mazda 626

[This message has been edited by ChadK (edited 08-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by ChadK (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
The kids were the reason for getting the van. We have a 4-1/2 YO son and 22 month old daughter. My wife and/or I often travel appx 100 miles to my in-laws on weekends. And of course we need to haul the kids' stuff with us. As they get older, the stuff is getting bigger.

I have used it a couple of times for lumber and power equipment.

·
Registered
48 Posts
We've got 3 - daughter 7, daughter 14 and son 17. Since my son inherited his father's Black Civic, he rarely is in my van. My girls also rely on their parental units for transportation and they're thrilled about having the i-VES system and the power doors.

My husband strongly resisted buying a minivan but once we had two kids plus a baby in a car seat, he reluctantly gave in. Even he admits that vans are amazingly functional and I don't hear him complaining when he needs it to go to the hardware store! I'm the one that drives the van, carting my daughters and friends to various activities.

I like the functionality so much that I might always drive a van, even when my kids are grown. Before I ordered the EX, I test drove a Toyota Sequoia. It was a nice enough vehicle, but it was too big and the ride was like being in a semi. I felt like I was bouncing up and down every two seconds. I guess SUV's just aren't for me although I like how they look.

The one thing I will miss with my new EX is the four wheel drive I have on my Toyota Previa. That car drove like a tank through the snow and ice of Chicago winters. If Honda had added that capability to the 02, I wouldn't have hesitated a second to cancel my 01 order.

------------------
vangirl

'00 Red S2000
'00 Black Civic EX
Soon to be the proud owner of an '01 SS EX!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
One daughter 16 months plus my wife is 5 months pregnant with our second child. Added family member(s) is the only reason we would ever consider a van. We tried numerous other vans, none of them compare to the ODY. I was not too thrill with owning or driving a Van in the the beginning...until I drove my new ODY. I am quite happy with the handling, the size and the functions especially the power doors. My wife drives the ODY most of the time.

------------------
01 SS EX
98 BMW 528i

·
Registered
301 Posts
The reason I bought this van just arrived yesterday at 6lbs 8 oz. I hope my new little girl will appreciate the smart purchase her parents have made. oh my god I just realized I'm a dad!

Tim

·
Registered
33 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canodyssey:
The reason I bought this van just arrived yesterday at 6lbs 8 oz. I hope my new little girl will appreciate the smart purchase her parents have made. oh my god I just realized I'm a dad!

Tim
</font>
Congrats... I am sure she will!

------------------
01 SS EX
98 BMW 528i

·
Registered
206 Posts
Congratulations, DAD!
(where's the photos???)

Tim
</font>

------------------
Future owner of a '02 Ody
Current owner of a '96 Grand Caravan & '98 Mazda 626

·
Registered
70 Posts
Three kids. Why else would I have a minivan?

7yr boy
5yr girl
10 month boy

1yr 60lb mutt who goes along for the ride.

And all their friends.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
One girl. 3 1/2 years. Loves the van. Even recognizes other Hondas !
She was born when we had our modded Civic. Got too small for all her stuff/toys/non-essentials(in my opinion !).Luckily/unluckily the car was stolen. Got a '92 MPV.We could'nt afford a new car then although I've always wanted an Ody since day 1.Got the Ody in Mar.Maybe it was good we waited.

------------------
-Rob-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)
http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
130 Posts
Two children, 35 and 37. The other car's an Acura '01 CL. It's not necessarily a kid car.

The Odyssey, that is: the other may be.

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited 08-06-2001).]

·
Registered
35 Posts
Yes, our main reason, was our 2 kids, Christina, 5 yrs old (in 3 weeks), and Nicholas, 20 months old. We wanted the convenience of getting them in and out of their car seats without getting concussions, and have the extra cargo space, and extra seats for friends. I LOVE all the features of the Odyssey!!

------------------
~Angela~
'01 MB EX
-cassette
-mud guards
-cargo mat
-cargo tray

·
Registered
35 Posts

Tim
</font>
Congratulations on your new arrival!! Your little girl will appreciate having such a smart and safety-conscious DAD!!

------------------
~Angela~
'01 MB EX
-cassette
-mud guards
-cargo mat
-cargo tray

·
Registered
27 Posts
Three here, one's a five yr. old girl and the others are two year old boy/girl twins. We packed those guys into a small SUV for a year and a half before deciding on a 2001 GMC Yukon XL. Then gas went to $2 a gal. The 12 grand we saved should buy us alot of dino juice.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hmmm.
It sounds like I may be alone in this group, but I bought my Ody mainly because I'm a DJ and needed something reliable to take me the my parties.

Didn't like Cargo Vans, and I couldn't find a truck that was big enough without taking me to the poorhouse on gas.

Plus, when I go out with the gang to parks and concerts and stuff, there usually are a lot of us. This way it reduces the number of cars in the caravans.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts