Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Would/Did you purchase extended warranty for your '11/'12 Ody?

• Yes

Votes: 37 72.5%
  • No

Votes: 14 27.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious how many purchased the HondaCare extended warranty for their Odysseys? Normally I'm not into extended warranties but I've read a little on the ongoing transmission issues and am wondering if I should just go ahead a purchase an extended warranty for my '12 Ody and not worry about it. If I'm going to do it, I'd go all out and get the 8yr/120k warranty.

Thanks for your input!

-Moto

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
You can get a Gator rebuilt transmission for around $2,000. What's a Hondacare 120k mile cost?

Sure am glad i didn't bother with our 03. 195k miles now and they only thing hondacare would have got me was a new EGR valve (~$75 retail). Would have been a massive waster of money.

Extended warranties might not be dumb for somebody who is clueless about cars, needs a mechanic for anything and everything and doesn't notice problems early and get them fixed (funny noises, etc). If you own a basic set of tools and know how to use them, skip the extended warranties.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I'm curious how many purchased the HondaCare extended warranty for their Odysseys? Normally I'm not into extended warranties but I've read a little on the ongoing transmission issues and am wondering if I should just go ahead a purchase an extended warranty for my '12 Ody and not worry about it. If I'm going to do it, I'd go all out and get the 8yr/120k warranty.

Thanks for your input!

-Moto
Wait a couple years because I believe you can still add it later if you're under 36K. You can also get a refund on it if you don't use it. We had a Honda extended care on our 02 Ody that we never used, so it was refunded. Haven't bought an extended warranty since.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought the 8/100 plan, even though I maintain my vehicles. Since the '11 is a new model year with a new transmission, I bought the plan for the peace of mind. For about $1K, that's only around $100 per year for 8 years of bumper to bumper coverage of major parts failure with zero deductible. If you factor in the 3-year new car warranty, the 8/100 plan gives 5 additional years of protection for $200 per year (for 5 years). Others may not agree, but for a $40k vehicle, I think it's good protection.
We normally keep our cars for the long term - more than 10 years.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
We got the 8year 100k too. I'm more worried about the electronics in the van than anything else.
Plus for us it helps with financial planning

·
Registered
105 Posts
I plan on keeping this Odyssey well into retirement and felt that this would help keep the expenses down.
I guess only time will tell if it was a waste of money, hoping it was not.
This is the first time every to purchase any extended warranty.
Got 8/120...

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I plan on keeping this Odyssey well into retirement and felt that this would help keep the expenses down.
Got 8/120...
Haha, I get what your saying, but I personally hope I did wast my money on it. I'd rather have it 8 years trouble free, then constantly relying on the warranty

·
Registered
730 Posts
Haha, I get what your saying, but I personally hope I did wast my money on it. I'd rather have it 8 years trouble free, then constantly relying on the warranty
Same here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
You can also get a refund on it if you don't use it. We had a Honda extended care on our 02 Ody that we never used, so it was refunded.
I don't think they give a refund anymore. I got my Hondacare last year from Bob at Hyannis and I thought I asked about a refund if it's never used and he said no.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Off-topic, but I wonder how much Honda makes out of extended warranties, this is the hottest "accessory" I've seen for the Honda Odyssey so far. All manufacturers seem to offer one, but their actual sales don't seem comparable to what I've seen around this forum :dunno:

But anyway, it is like an insurance

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hondacare was good on my 06'. First use was new DVD player which came to about $700. Second was a set of headphones $80. Next was a loose spark plug that caused a couple of issues $450. Next was the A/C cooler which was hit by a rock but Honda covered it under the extended warranty so another $700 there. I then had both sets of headphones replaced at 120K miles for $160. I had a 120K with no deductible and easily covered the $900 out of pocket for it and saved a bit more. The person saying all you need is a couple of tools is flat out wrong. That will not cut it for the average person.

That said you are buying insurance and peace of mind. That has value to some for others they don't mind shouldering some risk and writing checks as needed.

JD

·
Registered
178 Posts
got the 8/120 for $1,395. After my '04 needed $9k worth of repairs last year (new transmission, ABS modulator, engine mount, rear vent motor, and various other fixes), I wasn't taking any chances.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got 8/120...
Forgot - Paid $1,295

·
Registered
395 Posts
I did; paid $950 for 8 yrs/100,000 miles. The reason is that even for Honda, Odyssey is not as reliable as other Honda cars so some costly repairs in the future is more likely with an Odyssey than CRV, or Accord, for example. Secondly, I think the price I paid is a fairly good deal considering the fact that the bumper to bumper warranty was for just 3 yrs and the power trains are covered for only 5 by the original new car warranty.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It surprises me the percentage of people that went with the extended warranty considering it's a "Honda".

I'm really hedging towards getting the warranty for the peace of mind. And people are right, there are a lot of things that can go wrong in these hi tech vehicles.

Thanks for the input everyone. Very helpful!
-Moto

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm leasing my vehicle over 4 years, but we are really considering to get the 8 year Honda Care... as I'm worried about electronic components failing or transmission problems occurring. It's about $2000 here in Toronto/GTA.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm leasing my vehicle over 4 years, but we are really considering to get the 8 year Honda Care... as I'm worried about electronic components failing or transmission problems occurring. It's about $2000 here in Toronto/GTA.
Are you thinking of buying after the lease? Otherwise, why else would you get it if you're leasing? I thought one of the major advantages of leasing is so you don't have to worry about the cars when they get out of manufacturer warranty.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yeah, we'll be buying after the lease is up... we are just leasing cause we can't afford to purchase it right now... also bought a house this summer.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Wow. Congrats on the new car and new house! Exciting times! And a van is VERY useful when you buy a house.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts