Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how much gas remained after the low fuel indicator light comes on? I can fill up the tank with only 14 or 15 gallons after the light is on, and it doesn't seem to have 5 gallons left in the tank.

·
Registered
747 Posts
There is a TSB about this. I think look in the Tech section. Anyway that sounds normal. The tank holds 20 gallons and the light does come on with 4-5 left. Doesn't seem right to me, but I think it has to do with the gas tank design being long and flat. That was probably the only safe way to have a useful light.

By the way, on another note, I do know the tank holds 20 gallons. I put in 19.6 one time (no I hadn't run out of gas). This was one of our 1st fill ups and I didn't think it could possibly need gas based on rated fuel economy. Needless to say we don't quite get 18 MPG in town. More like 15-17. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by odycadmus:
19.6 gallons! Wow! Impressive if the tank really holds only 20 gallons.</font>
I think the filler tube is not included in the calculation of tank capactiy. There might be about a gallon in there. On other cars, I've put in more than the rated tank capacity and the filler tube is one possible explanation.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EXL
'85 Prelude
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ Green grass stains and '01 White Laces

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've also been getting 15-16 mpg around town. Thought that my van's pulling to the right had something to do with it but now I feel much better knowing someone else's van gets the same mileage.

19.6! Now that's something! My Accord has a 17 gallon tank and I have never put in more than 16 despite my effort to run the guage well below the horizontal level.

I think Honda wanted the warning light to come on so early so we don't feel the pinch when refueling the Ody.

-Fan

·
Registered
478 Posts
My first two re-fills were with the low fuel light on and only got about 15 gallons or so. Pretty conservative warning, but as long as you know that when the light comes on, you've still got at least 50 miles or more.
I have gotten right around 20 mpg on so far in mixed driving-re-filled at about 300 miles.

------------------
'02 RRP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, Bug deflector, lampguards, gold emblems, 17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires (Some installed, some in the garage, some on the way!)
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
596 Posts
It has been mentioned before, but, I think it bears repeating. You do not want to EVER run out of fuel, for various reasons. The five gallon reserve is a little much, but, for best fuel pump life, one is well advised to gas up before the gas in the tank gets too low. The fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank and it can overheat and die an early death if it is run without being sufficiently immersed in the fuel. I would not even guess what that level would be, so I head for the pump shortly after that naggin' little light comes on. Just thinkin' out loud.....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
188 Posts
Gas Gauge:

When I first got my 01 LE, the fuel light would come on when there were five or six gallons left. This bugged me and I posted on this site and several other people were having the same problem. I was going to take it back to the dealer but now that I have had the Ody for four months, the problem seems to have gone away and the light doesn't come until it is almost empty (the way it should). I don't think Honda would have fixed it anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just recently, I estimated that my new van got 23.0 miles per gallon. I do drive it more on the freeway than on the streets. But before that I got 24.0 mpg. After the break-in period, I average driving 75mph on the freeway. It seems that the faster I go (80-90mph) on the freeway and quick acceleration on the streets (racing), the van gets less for mpg.
I am sure that's normal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts