Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trans has been slipping only when cold for the past two monthsx I've been saving to replace the trans

·
Registered
193 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level? A marginal level could drop a little when cold and create symptoms not otherwise present.

Year and mileage ?

·
Registered
252 Posts
My trans has been slipping only when cold for the past two monthsx I've been saving to replace the trans
Just for reference - This past spring my neighbor had his 2005 transmission replaced with a rebuilt unit at a independent Honda shop for $1500 with a 1 year/unlimited mileage warranty. The shop is a couple ex-Honda Platinum Level techs that opened their own place together. They said they replace several a year and the ones they use do not have the common weakness that the OEM ones had from the factory, whatever that is.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
1+,

- Check ATF level first.
- If you ever need a trans, a good source is ebay or Honda recycler. Get a Trans with low mileage such as 30-40K miles.
- Install labor is about 9-10h.
- Replace REAR Main Seal and all the Seals on the "new" Trans before putting it back.
- Also if you have more than 100K miles, then replace the CV Joints Rubber Boots too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Note on checking ATF in the Odyssey:

The ATF level is checked with the engine off.

This is different than many other automatic transmissions.The fluid still needs to be at operating temperature and the van parked on a level spot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Our 2001 Ody's transmission died last week. It was already replaced once under the recall and I can only suppose they replaced it with a rebuilt one of the same kind that failed again. I got three prices on rebuilt transmissions with 3 yr to lifetime warranties. Prices ranged from $3000-4000. Since the van had 185k miles and was only worth about $4000, we gave it away and I just bought a 2008 EX-L.

Anyway, a real basic rebuild by an indy with a 1 yr warranty is about $1500-2000. A factory rebuild by an indy or dealership would be more but with a longer warranty.

YMMV

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cel came on tonight while leaving work, I'm going to have it checked in the am. I bought this car new at 18 thinking it would last me 15 years because of hondas reputation but I guess not, I really can't afford to spend 3k dollars right now, I'm really hoping this trans will last two more months and I should have saved close to 2000 by then. 79000 miles and tranny failure is bull**** for $30,000 . I just made my last payment on the car the other day.

·
Registered
193 Posts
byb cuz : Assume it's a 2005 ? Sig line would be nice.

DTC P0776 : A/T Clutch Pressure Control Valve B Stuck Off

1. Warm the fluid to temp.
2. Check Fluid Level.
3. Drain AFT through a strainer
Does the fluid have metal debris or excessive clutch material ?

Yes - Replace trans
No - Replace the fluid and go to 4.

4. Drive van in D getting to all five gears and over 12 mph for at least 20 seconds. then slow to a stop.

5. Repeat step 5.

Does DTC return ...
FSM has a lot of diagnostic steps that don't require trans replacement.

The target solenoid is mounted on the exterior of the trans and can be tested and replaced without removing the transmission. FSM 14-186 to 14-190.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a update, tranny is still holding up, but it still slipping a few times before it warms up. I'm at 3,000 saved and I'm hoping 4k will cover the tranny and labor. Unfortunately I'm going to use Honda for a replacement. My local dealership quoted me 2900 for the tranny alone, I hope that's a new price or I'm going with aamco/jasper

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
Just a update, tranny is still holding up, but it still slipping a few times before it warms up. I'm at 3,000 saved and I'm hoping 4k will cover the tranny and labor. Unfortunately I'm going to use Honda for a replacement. My local dealership quoted me 2900 for the tranny alone, I hope that's a new price or I'm going with aamco/jasper
Have you tried replacing the fluid yet? It may help a lot.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
$2900 sounds about right for a factory rebuilt installed by a stealer (warranty rate) based on the 2nd gen tranny rates. BUT, you should really pay attention to the replies to your own thread and post some much needed details for better help on here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
$2900 sounds about right for a factory rebuilt installed by a stealer (warranty rate) based on the 2nd gen tranny rates. BUT, you should really pay attention to the replies to your own thread and post some much needed details for better help on here.
I read all the replies and followed through with them, but not installed just for the transmission, its around 4000 installed

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
I read all the replies and followed through with them, but not installed just for the transmission, its around 4000 installed
Really? I don't see you mention your model year or miles. Neither did you report back as to if you're low on ATF. Neither did you report back as to if you replaced the ATF or not as that was one of the recommendations. All of these are from people asking you questions since you posted. To get better help, you gotta provide all the information/details is all I am saying.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
2006 lx, transmission fluid is at normal level. Honda is working with me because of low mileage and og owner. 2 newish hondas that are paid off for a goodwill.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Honda verified internal transmission failure. P0700 and P0776, and I should replace trans, Honda America is going to call me back Friday on my goodwill case. Notes on my paperwork says transmission fluid is very clean. 4700 installed. 5055 installed with fixing front engine mount. I talked to gator trans. 2200 with 12 month warranty. 300 shipping, 250 refundable core charge. Local Honda mechanic said about 800 for his labor, so I may go with gator, to save 1500 dollars if Honda doesn't help me out.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Honda came back with a 2875 goodwill offer to fix front engine mount, change tranny, brake recall. I'm dropping car off Tuesday, and picking up Thursday. I had no service records. I'm happy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts