Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on replacing the original rear shocks on my 2003 with 196K miles driven in Illinois. Multiple attempts with a 365 ft-lb impact wrench was not able to loosen the top bolt on the shocks after 24+ hours soaking with penetrating oil. These bolts are extremely rusted. I'm thinking about getting an impact wrench that can apply 1,200 ft-lbs.

What guidance can anyone offer on the torque I'm likely to need to loosen these top bolts?
Is there a max torque that I'd want to use .. beyond which I'd be likely to damage the bolt or threads?
Once these bolts are out, am I likely to have significant difficulty replacing these bolts, such that i'd be best to buy new bolts for reassembly?

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
if the bolts are toast replace them, if just rusty and still have lots of good thread, wirewheel on the bench grinder will do the job.

if they are seized, try some heat also try working them on and off slightly to break the seize.
If you dont have torches the map-pro gas (yellow can) should give you enough heat.
heat the bolt and area not the shock! the rubber bushing will burn, so have water nearby.

My first choice would be to sawzall the bottom of the shock off surrounding the bolt / bushing, and work at the bolt when with the shock out of the way.
had to do this on my kids car, which was a pin / nut setup, 10 years of salt belt exposure seized solid to the sleeve on the shock.

make sure you get anti seize on the replacement bolts, to avoid this headache next time.

good luck!

·
Registered
728 Posts
Bought a used 2003 from a friend, needed new rear shocks. I broke the rear bolt off on the change when removing the nut. I had to cut the rest out. Replaced with a new grade 8 bolt and nut when I put on the new shock. No ig deal except for the initial removal. As long the the bracket is good, you will be fine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bought a used 2003 from a friend, needed new rear shocks. I broke the rear bolt off on the change when removing the nut. I had to cut the rest out. Replaced with a new grade 8 bolt and nut when I put on the new shock. No ig deal except for the initial removal. As long the the bracket is good, you will be fine.
Thanks for the input @cahaak & @Ticket Team but it doesn't answer my question. I'm not prepared to get into cutting rusted parts off the van. I'm prepared to up the torque with a bigger impact wrench.

If cutting is going to be required because I can't apply sufficient torque or because I apply too much torque and break it .. I will take it to a shop to deal with that.

So I want to know from the experience of anyone who's done this job on an odyssey, what torque was required? what torque was too much are caused breakage? .. or perhaps confirm that no amount of torque is going to get the rusted bolt out and I should pay someone to cut it. I'm not really interested in getting my torch out on this one either.

So the decision is me and 1,200 ft-lb impact wrench .. or paying the shop to do the work.

What say you?

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Thanks for the input @cahaak & @Ticket Team but it doesn't answer my question. I'm not prepared to get into cutting rusted parts off the van. I'm prepared to up the torque with a bigger impact wrench.

If cutting is going to be required because I can't apply sufficient torque or because I apply too much torque and break it .. I will take it to a shop to deal with that.

So I want to know from the experience of anyone who's done this job on an odyssey, what torque was required? what torque was too much are caused breakage? .. or perhaps confirm that no amount of torque is going to get the rusted bolt out and I should pay someone to cut it. I'm not really interested in getting my torch out on this one either.

So the decision is me and 1,200 ft-lb impact wrench .. or paying the shop to do the work.

What say you?
cutting will allow you better access to the seized bolt, which is most likely fused inside the sleeve for the shock.

if you go gorilla on a seized bolt with an impact it can go one of two ways, bolt comes off or the bolt snaps.

if you're looking for assurances or someone to blame if it breaks, you came to the wrong place.

The question you're asking, on the maximum torque a seized rusted bolt can handle before breaking is a hard one to answer.

feel free to continue waiting on that answer, or follow the above info or pay someone with the proper equipment to do it right.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
your post is obnoxious and not helpful. i'm looking for specific information ( about ft-lbs ) that were sufficient or would be considered insufficient or excessive to use on this job. telling me that the bolt is likely fused to the shock doesn't answer the question. pointing out that a bolt will either release or break is not helpful either. it's not helpful for you to observe that someone who can address my question might post a reply if I wait for it. if you cannot, or choose not to provide insight on the question posed, better to stay silent on the sidelines than tell me i'm in the wrong place .. or maybe simply acknowledge that despite your large quantity of posts in the past, you don't know the answer.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
your post is obnoxious and not helpful. i'm looking for specific information ( about ft-lbs ) that were sufficient or would be considered insufficient or excessive to use on this job. telling me that the bolt is likely fused to the shock doesn't answer the question. pointing out that a bolt will either release or break is not helpful either. it's not helpful for you to observe that someone who can address my question might post a reply if I wait for it. if you cannot, or choose not to provide insight on the question posed, better to stay silent on the sidelines than tell me i'm in the wrong place .. or maybe simply acknowledge that despite your large quantity of posts in the past, you don't know the answer.
Let me rephrase this one for you, since you appear to be a hard head.

The question you're asking, on the maximum torque a seized rusted bolt can handle before breaking is impossible to answer.

best of luck on your quest for the truth...

·
Registered
2004 EX-RES
1,046 Posts
If you want to know the answer you can determine the grade of bolt used, determine the amount/depth of surface rust, the metal grade and type of the shock sleeve and submit that information to an engineering consulting firm for their best estimate. The answer is as others have posted: no one knows and it will either come loose or it will break.

You can try spraying the bolt down with PB blast, heating and beating the bolt to try and get it out along with the application of sufficient torque until it comes out, breaks off, or doesn't budge.

Reactions: Ticket
1 - 10 of 10 Posts