Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.
I live in Korea and I can't get enough information about odyssey here.
In Korea we call 4.5 Generation which have 6 speed transmission.
I have a doubt about transmission fluid with 2015 year odyssey.
In my owner's manual, there's not exact interval or mileage about transmission fluid.
So I came here to ask.
My pattern is simple.
Weekday, drop and pick up for kids in short range (3miles in 30min many traffic lights so stop & go maximum 30~40miles/h).
In weekend, round trip for 30 miles in 1 hour. (in 25 miles, no traffic lights so use cruise control in 50miles/h)
Sometimes drive in highway but use low RPM curise control in 60~80miles/h.
In this situation, how often do I change the fluid?
Some dealers in U.S. says 30k miles, some are 60k miles.....
Some Korean users feel trouble at 50k miles in urban style driving. (like L.A)
Here, transmission is very expensive rather than U.S.
So please recommend the interval.
Thank you for read!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Hello all.
I live in Korea and I can't get enough information about odyssey here.
In Korea we call 4.5 Generation which have 6 speed transmission.
I have a doubt about transmission fluid with 2015 year odyssey.
In my owner's manual, there's not exact interval or mileage about transmission fluid.
So I came here to ask.
My pattern is simple.
Weekday, drop and pick up for kids in short range (3miles in 30min many traffic lights so stop & go maximum 30~40miles/h).
In weekend, round trip for 30 miles in 1 hour. (in 25 miles, no traffic lights so use cruise control in 50miles/h)
Sometimes drive in highway but use low RPM curise control in 60~80miles/h.
In this situation, how often do I change the fluid?
Some dealers in U.S. says 30k miles, some are 60k miles.....
Some Korean users feel trouble at 50k miles in urban style driving. (like L.A)
Here, transmission is very expensive rather than U.S.
So please recommend the interval.
Thank you for read!
Hello! Pretty cool your talking to me from Korea. About the transmission change interval, its usually 30k. I just do it once a year or sooner depending if I go on trips. I kind of watch my fluid quality since these odysseys have issues with their transmissions and engines from the VCM. Document everything, like quality of fluid after interval, duration of miles on fluid and what you used. I just check it every oil change since I'm right their. That way you can keep track of how well your transmission is performing. I've been using Valvoline Full Synthetic transmission fluid. It has been going very well from what I could tell. I'm not sure what fluids you have in Korea to use but, I would use the best you could. Keeping the fluid from getting dark and full of clutch material is the best thing you can do. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
It takes three changes to make a full "swap" of fluild, so change, drive around a bit, change, drive around a bit more, change. What I've taken to doing is doing a 1x fluid swap every oil change. Might be a bit excessive, I don't care; if it helps my transmission last longer it's worth the investment. Not much to making a fluid swap either, it's very easy to do it yourself.

I would do the 3x swap every 20-25k in Korean driving just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!

·
Registered
39 Posts
It is not difficult to do at the same time as oil change. Draining removes about 4 liters. I have a vacuum pump that I do oil changes with and I can also suck out the transmission fluid very easily. No more need to go underneath. I would train change once a year... every 30-50K KM. Cheap and easy maintenance.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It takes three changes to make a full "swap" of fluild, so change, drive around a bit, change, drive around a bit more, change. What I've taken to doing is doing a 1x fluid swap every oil change. Might be a bit excessive, I don't care; if it helps my transmission last longer it's worth the investment. Not much to making a fluid swap either, it's very easy to do it yourself.

I would do the 3x swap every 20-25k in Korean driving just to be on the safe side.

Good luck!
I'd drive a week or two to make sure the fluid is properly mixed. It won't hurt it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I have a vacuum pump that I do oil changes with and I can also suck out the transmission fluid very easily.
Won't hurt to pull the drain plugs to let the "swill" on the bottom drain out once in a while. Also to inspect the drain plug magnets and wipe'em off. Good indicators of possible issues.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd drive a week or two to make sure the fluid is properly mixed. It won't hurt it.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I concur.

The first time I did the 3x swap I did the first flush, drove around for 15 miles or so, the second flush and then waited two weekends for the third (something like 150-200 miles). Since then, every oil change I do a 1x swap. The fluid looks new every time so it's likely excessive, and it shifts and drives like a dream so I don't care. ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am curious, Andrew, how many miles do you have on your Odyssey? It sounds like your procedure would be a great way to maintain a newer transmission; could it prolong the life of an older one? I have 131,000 on my 2014, and had two instances of the slamming into 2nd gear at low speeds with a "pending" code P0776. Honda dealer changed my fluid, and it has not re-occured. They are recommending to replace the secondary valve assembly (about $1400 parts and labor). I am wondering if I am risking harm to my transmission if I don't replace this part, but begin your ambitious fluid changing regimen. I considered ordering the valve body and installing it myself, but have had second thoughts. (Independent shop wouldn't tackle the job themselves, when I asked them for an estimate).

·
Registered
364 Posts
Clean fluid can only have positive effects on solenoid performance (that code seems like it is either a sticking solenoid or a bad pressure switch). Get the fluid clean (multiple drain/fills) and then get on a reasonable schedule (ie, more often than the factory 30k schedule). If you can DIY an oil change, you can DIY trans fluid changes.

-Charlie

·
Registered
232 Posts
I think we're at 48k+ now on our '16 EXL, I started this all right before 41k when we bought the vehicle used. Then Muzzled (S-VCM) and front rotors and pads (Centric Premium and Posi-Quiets. Last tire rotation and oil change I did a 1x ATF Valvoline MaxLife swap and the fluid looked brand new, but it got changed anyway...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Charlie and Andrew, thanks so much for your tips, plus all the other members here. I do change my own oil, and will do this as well. I think that I saw the filter lurking behind the mudskirt when I took the battery, battery perch, air cleaner housing, etc., out, to look at the part that the dealer quoted me. It is quite silly that car manufacturers are building cars and hiding maintenance items from us. I see that the transmission filter is listed as only being replaced when the transmission is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Won't hurt to pull the drain plugs to let the "swill" on the bottom drain out once in a while. Also to inspect the drain plug magnets and wipe'em off. Good indicators of possible issues.
Been there done that. There is no "swill". Almost nothing on the magnet. Perhaps you have a different experience. How many times have you drained the ATF and noticed such things?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Been there done that. There is no "swill". Almost nothing on the magnet. Perhaps you have a different experience. How many times have you drained the ATF and noticed such things?
I do at least one drain-and-fill per year and have never found the magnetic plug clean. There's always at least a little something on it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Even with my over the top trans fluid changes, I still see gunk on the mag plug every time.

The OEM filter is a total pain to get too, I'm going to install a Magnefine filter when I do the trans cooler install this Spring. I put this filter somewhere that's easier to access and change it out every X amount of miles (what 20-25k?). It is a much more fine filter than OEM, so there should be less goop floating around routinely.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I do at least one drain-and-fill per year and have never found the magnetic plug clean. There's always at least a little something on it.
I just changed my fluid around 2 weeks ago with just under 18,000 miles on the Amsoil fluid, and I certainly had junk on the magnet as evidenced my these pictures I snapped. There is no way a topside vacuum can get this stuff off the magnet without it physically and manually being wiped clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
Wow, that's a lot of goop for 18k, and it looks pretty icky! I'm getting a fraction of that, but changing more often and using ATF MaxLife. I'll have to remember to snap photos next time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I do a 2x drain & fill every 30k, with maybe 200-300 miles of driving in between them. So far I've stuck with Honda OE fluid.

I like the 3x idea, but IMO it's just too labor intensive. We're really just diluting down, not truly replacing all the old fluid. Diminishing returns.

·
Registered
13,780 Posts
Those of us with the older transmissions that almost always died have been doing normal drain & fills every other oil change. (15k) If one is having issues that a full "flush" might address, then you really have to drive in between the drain & fills. Like get out onto a highway and get through all the gears and the torque converter locked up. Around the block is not enough. If the van is regularly used, then a normal drain & fill for 3 weeks in a row will get you changed completely. Mostly you are not removing burnt contaminated fluid as much as renewing the friction modifiers and other additives. The procedure outlined in the trans software update & fluid replacement service bulletin has the tech only replacing the crush washer on the final refill. Using a fresh washer is not really for sealing as much as for assuring the bolt gets torqued to the proper lbs. When reusing a crush washer, it can be easy to over tighten. Spec: 36lbs.

The filter is there for Honda forensics upon trans failure. Changing it is optional for the obsessed.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I’ve noticed less and less and finer debris on the magnetic transmission drain plug as time goes by. Could perhaps be more frequent 1x drain and fills, or could be that gear surfaces are mating better as total mileage accumulates. Not sure.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yep, I killed our '02 EXL by "not" doing more transmission maintenance, so I've become obsessive. The '02 would still be running and in the family had I added a trans cooler and better maintained the fluid, I was one Interweb search away from knowing better. Arghh.

I have a new OEM Trans Filter I had intended on installing, but man it's such a pain in the butt to get too I may just leave it and install the Magnefine when I do the trans cooler install.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts