Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,726 Posts
And check for hidden rust. Especially behind that area.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
Yep, sand it down, primer, and paint. If cosmetics are not a big deal to you, I might even skip the clear coat. Single stage paint will do the job. The goal is really just to get rid of the existing rust.

The hidden rust is usually on the other side of the wheel well - the bumper cover side. But definitely check to see if you can find any along the inside of the entire wheel well.

Btw, I can see from your profile that you say you have a 2009 LX. Looks to me from the picture that you have an EX with alloy wheels and body-colored molding. If you have 3 seats in the center row, and electric sliding doors, then you have an EX, not an LX.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I second what everyone else has said so far.

I'll add that the dents and bend aren't that bad and you could pretty easily bend it back and pound out the dents to an acceptable standard first, giving you a pretty decent result in the end, even though you said you don't care about cosmetics. It's easy, free, and quick enough, and you're already going to be spending time in that area so I'd suggest going ahead and doing it. You'll be much happier with the end result, and you'll improve resale value if/when the time comes.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
To me it looks like fresh surface rust from improper prep on the fender-bender. Optionally bend it out. Sand to bare metal. Prime it, then paint it. Like jiantao says, clear coat optional.
Leave it alone what did it ever do to you !!!!!
It'll keep rusting ang get worse.

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yep, sand it down, primer, and paint. If cosmetics are not a big deal to you, I might even skip the clear coat. Single stage paint will do the job. The goal is really just to get rid of the existing rust.

The hidden rust is usually on the other side of the wheel well - the bumper cover side. But definitely check to see if you can find any along the inside of the entire wheel well.

Btw, I can see from your profile that you say you have a 2009 LX. Looks to me from the picture that you have an EX with alloy wheels and body-colored molding. If you have 3 seats in the center row, and electric sliding doors, then you have an EX, not an LX.
I guess I do have an EX! That's exciting, didn't realize I had bought anything above the base model.

But I still don't have VCM right, so I don't have to worry about disabling it?

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I second what everyone else has said so far.

I'll add that the dents and bend aren't that bad and you could pretty easily bend it back and pound out the dents to an acceptable standard first, giving you a pretty decent result in the end, even though you said you don't care about cosmetics. It's easy, free, and quick enough, and you're already going to be spending time in that area so I'd suggest going ahead and doing it. You'll be much happier with the end result, and you'll improve resale value if/when the time comes.
Thanks for the idea.

Would I have to take it off to do any bending? Not sure how I access/remove that section. Should I be searching for something like "remove wheel well panel"?

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
1,759 Posts
I guess I do have an EX! That's exciting, didn't realize I had bought anything above the base model.

But I still don't have VCM right, so I don't have to worry about disabling it?
If you have cloth seats, and no sunroof, then you have an EX - no VCM!

If you have leather seats and a sunroof, then you have an EX-L, which does have VCM.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If you have cloth seats, and no sunroof, then you have an EX - no VCM!

If you have leather seats and a sunroof, then you have an EX-L, which does have VCM.
Cloth seats. That's why I assumed I had the LX but I guess it's the EX. Thank you very much for clarifying.

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
Would I have to take it off to do any bending? Not sure how I access/remove that section. Should I be searching for something like "remove wheel well panel"?
I would NOT remove it since it is not a removable panel....it's part of the unibody construction and will require taking 1/2 of the van apart and drilling out the welds that hold the van together to get it off, and then welding it back in place when you're done. A HUGE undertaking for such a small area of damage. Leaving it in place will help you bend it back where it looks best and matches the surround door panel and lower valance/sideskirt panel. I would just use some pliers with a rag to keep from scratching/scuffing it, and some small hammers to get behind it. Maybe a few flat punches and basic hand tools.

·
Registered
2009 Odyssey EX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would NOT remove it since it is not a removable panel....it's part of the unibody construction and will require taking 1/2 of the van apart and drilling out the welds that hold the van together to get it off, and then welding it back in place when you're done. A HUGE undertaking for such a small area of damage. Leaving it in place will help you bend it back where it looks best and matches the surround door panel and lower valance/sideskirt panel. I would just use some pliers with a rag to keep from scratching/scuffing it, and some small hammers to get behind it. Maybe a few flat punches and basic hand tools.
Yup, definitely not going to take it off then. But I'll try to pretty it up a little. Thank you for the advice.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
First, next time something like that happens again, coat the area with something simple like Vaseline, which will prevent surface rust until you get around to fixing it.

Clean up the area as best you can, make a line with masking tape above the damage, spray with a good quality flat black paint. Walk away and go have a beer.

Being the damage is on the passenger side, you'll never see it. If someone asks you about it, deny, deny, deny!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
:unsure: ? Filler cap is on driver side.
Definitely prime it! Because the damage was painted over without primer, that's why the rust is coming through. Rustoleum or similar, preferably with rust preventative. Then paint it. Black? :mad: Yeah, if that's what you got. Or something close to the body color.

·
Registered
2005 EXL w Nav
359 Posts
spray with a good quality flat black paint. Walk away and go have a beer.
I don’t do body work but I kind of remember that primer alone doesn’t effectively seal out moisture and new rust. Also choose a primer that is closest to the topcoat (gray).
I would put it on jackstands with the wheel off and use a crowbar and some strategically placed pieces of wood scraps to bend it back out without using a hammer in that confined space

1 - 17 of 17 Posts