Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again
Everyone here is extremely helpful
I have a 2003 EX and I travel with the family alot. I am looking to add outlets to run various things (ice chests, etc.). I saw someone mention that you can take power from the drivers seat. Has anyone done this? Can you give me step by step instructions.
Thanks so much

·
Registered
355 Posts
If you are looking to add a few devices you would be better off running a line from the battery and using a relay off of the ACC line to make it switched. This way you run less risk of damaging other components in the vehicle. Using a SPDT relay you would hook terminal 86 to the power line from the battery, terminal 86 to ACC, terminal 85 to ground, and terminal 30 to the added outlets. Of course make sure you fuse the power line from the battery within 6 inches of the battery.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg Stoddard said:
If you are looking to add a few devices you would be better off running a line from the battery and using a relay off of the ACC line to make it switched. This way you run less risk of damaging other components in the vehicle. Using a SPDT relay you would hook terminal 86 to the power line from the battery, terminal 86 to ACC, terminal 85 to ground, and terminal 30 to the added outlets. Of course make sure you fuse the power line from the battery within 6 inches of the battery.
Greg Thank you. You seem to be very knowledgeable, I am a bit of a novice at all this. Would you be able to explain it to me in layman terms. Thank you so much.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Good idea as per Greg's suggestion. Tapping power from existing lines could result in blown fuses, and having it switched to ACC means you won't drain the battery because someone left something plugged in and on when they left the van.

As another suggestion - you might want to install an inverter (also switched) to run 120V devices, although that would be a bit more work.

·
Registered
355 Posts
lakewood said:
Greg Thank you. You seem to be very knowledgeable, I am a bit of a novice at all this. Would you be able to explain it to me in layman terms. Thank you so much.
Sorry, the terminals I was referring to are the the actual connections on a regular single pole double throw relay(SPDT).

I just re-read my earlier post and realized that I can't type well. Where it says 'terminal 86 to battery' that should read 'terminal 87 the battery'.

Here are the parts to get.

http://www.darvex.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=82&idcategory=2

http://www.darvex.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=799&idcategory=119

You will only use the power line, fuse holder, fuse, and ring from the kit but it is cheaper than buying everything seperately. Run the power line through the fuse holder and into the car to where ever you want to add the extra power points. Connect it to the terminal 87 line on the relay. Then hook the others up as previously listed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts