Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased an 07 EX-L and I don't think there was a swirl mark on it. I wondered if it had ever been waxed, so I waited for it to rain to see if it would bead up and it did. I have no idea how the wax got on the van. So, what do you use to avoid swirl marks? Is using a microfiber cloth all you need?

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would say washing is what causes most swirls. Use the two bucket method with a grit guard in each bucket and you should be good.

If there are no swirls on an 07 the previous owner took darn good care of it. I would be willing to bet they detailed it shortly before you got it. Lots of different ways to go about it but a two-bucket wash, clay, polish with DA buffer, wax, and sealant is my method.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually I was surprised to see the exterior in such as great shape because the interior looked stained even after the dealer shampooed it. It was so bad, that I had them do it again, and I even had to do a lot of spot cleaning the carpets. So, I am real curious what they did on the exterior. My guess is that they did nothing. Not sure how the wax got on there.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
If you bought it at a dealer they most likely waxed it. If the interior was dirty then the exterior may have not had ANY work done to it and the dealer simply washed it and waxed it. (Maybe more but its hard to say)

Swirls come about from improper washing as was already noted. But it can also happen simply from neglect - no washing can also cause the paint to degrade over time as well. But waxing and buffing improperly can also can issues.

There are lots of detailing forums on the web - google search and you'll find more detailed tips

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
My guess is that they did nothing.
Exactly! If you never wipe the paint or take through car wash brushes, it will NOT get scratched. Once again, this is plain physics. The normal driving, wind etc does not scratch paint. Washing and wiping when you don't know what you are doing will microscopically scratch paint which will show up as swirl marks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts