Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it looks like my Odyssey will be in at the end of this month. I'm turning in my Passport which has been leased.

I have indentations from the baby seats and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice on how to rid the car of them.

The Passport is also the first car I've ever leased. How much do you think I will be charged after they prep it for sale---I was told there is a charge at the end of the lease that covers the prep work in getting the car ready for sale.

I would greatly appreciate anyones advice.

Jimmy

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">The Passport is also the first car I've ever leased. How much do you think I will be charged after they prep it for sale---I was told there is a charge at the end of the lease that covers the prep work in getting the car ready for sale.</font>
This should be spelled out exactly in your lease contract.

"I was told..." usually ends up in grief. You can be told anything, but you sign the contract--and it spells everything out in great detail. "The contract states..." is where these conversations should begin.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I got them out of the seats on my Odyssey by using an iron. I put a towel over the indentations, and used the steam from the iron. The indentations came out in just a few seconds. Maybe the towel is not needed, but it made me feel better, and it did work.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I am an upholsterer, I think Britt was close, but still a bit of a dangerous maneuver. Definitely what is needed is steam, the iron part may help but can also melt or damage the fabric. If you go the iron route, use a damp cloth under the iron. If you can get a steamer that is best. The steam blows up the foam back to original shape.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I used a warm iron with steam on the car I traded for the Odyssey. I used a thin receiving blanket between the iron and the fabric, after I had spritzed the seat with water. Worked very well, and the creases that were left were only visible if you looked close enough.

These were typical cloth seats. Don't know about leather...

·
Registered
64 Posts
The biggest thing to remember is prevention... I made a mat out of hard rubber, and material and have always kept that under my kids car seats.. I used to get a new car every year for work and always dreaded the turnback time.. this worked very well...

·
Registered
192 Posts
I have a friend who is a carpet distributer and he gives me his sample pieces. I use these under the car seats... prevention is the cure. Works great!

Just go to your local carpet store and ask to see their throw-aways... find the color closest to your interior.

·
Registered
131 Posts
The ones in my vehicles always seem to go away on their own. Sometimes it helps if someone rides in that seat for an hour or so... I change baby seats from time to time, (I have three kids and lots of seats laying around) and that might help too... (different pressure points).

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4 GM-Trucks.com

·
Super Moderator
13,646 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
Just go to your local carpet store and ask to see their throw-aways... find the color closest to your interior.</font>
That's exactly what I use. If you are lucky, the walmart near you will have rectangular pieces of carpet for like $2.00. I use those as my floor mats (I have the OEM mats too) and 1 under the baby seat.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I should mention that thick, compressible material is NOT recommended under carseats, specifically when used forward-facing with a harness. Thin layers of material should not be a problem.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you want to get a little fancy with the rubber mat trick...go to Babies R Us or...
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005AKZ0/002-2817966-2900054

BTW, the grey is almost an exact match for fern leather. It is plenty thick rubber (to prevent indentations) and it provides good grip for the seat. I've used it and I can tell you it works.

While we are on the subject, did you know about the cool ratchet feature on Ody seatbelts (except front). It's in the owners manual. When mounting a baby seat with shoulder belts I've always had to use that impossible metal "H" clip that always gets lost and keeps you from getting the belt tight enough. Now I just fish the belt through and buckle the seatbelt loosely. Then pull out the shoulder belt all the way until it clicks. That activates the ratchet and you can pull the belt tight while cramming my knee into the seat. Voila. Oh, and if you don't like the knee cramming, you can slide the seat rearward, install it fairly snug using the ratchet, then slide the seat forward intil tight. Just make sure it clicks in place well. Hope this helps somebody.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts