Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How to I get the harness cover off?! and....

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  bluflame555 
#1 ·
My tranny is dying on my 2000 Ody, 167,000 miles. I want t to try and clean the screens under the solenoid. I removed the harness cover bolt but I can't get the harness off. What gives it seems it's also attached to the metal holder.

I know this would only be a possible temp solution.

Symptoms..in order of appearance
Clunking between 1 and 2 (about 10,000 miles ago)

p0740 came on (about 2,000 miles ago)

high rpms a few times between 2 and 3rd (about 2,000)

today high revs between 1 and 2nd, I didn't even think it was going to make it into second. Got a little better but was only a short trip.

Question is do I fix or scrap.
Here in Glenmont, NY there's a reputable tranny expert called Buff-O- Matic that showed me their shop and said a high quality rebuild would cost me between $500-$2,000 with better parts. (won't know till they open it up) I was impressed with their shop. They said the 5 speed would be much more money to fix.

I'm leaning towards getting it fixed (car payment, ugh) but hesitant, seems I always have things show up...rear wiper broken, will be needing some ball joints, sliding manual door doesn't always lock and a few other quirks. Engine seems fine other than needing a idler pulley at some point (a bit noisy) Maybe I should run a compression test to be sure of the engines strength.

I also figure when the van dies I'll have a great tranny and could put it in another Odyssey.

So back to the harness cover, how do i get it off!

Andy

See less See more
#3 ·
metal clip

Hi I'm assuming you mean the metal bar? I don't remember seeing a clip. I have already taken the screw out that secures the harness closer to the firewall.

Do you have a photo or diagram from the service manual? My manual only said to remove screw and then remove harness but it's hung up on that metal bar.

I'm assuming I can do this without removing that battery and tray.

Thank you,
Andy

#5 ·
Hi All,
I am also stuck in the same place that Andy is referring to.
Repair Manual (page 14-130) says "Remove the bolt securing the harness cover, then
remove the harness cover from the transmission hanger."

I removed the bolt securing the harness cover - I think it is what vrajan calls "Harness Holder Bolt" in picture 8 (in http://www.urvi.net/forums/odyclub/1999-2000_HONDA_Odyssey_Transmission_Problem.pdf ).
However, it is not clear how I can remove the harness cover from the transmission hanger.

Any help is appreciated.

#9 ·
no what?

I'm finally getting around to this. I have the battery tray out, nice to have more room in there to work.

I was able to remove the wiring harness from the metal bracket but now what? There's so many wires attached to it, it barley moves from that spot. I'm thinking about removing the metal bracket all together to create more room to get the solenoid out. Am i supposed to remove all wires to get harness holder completely out? Or just enough so I can solenoid out?

I'm trying to get the solenoid out to test it and clean the screen to see if it's part of the culprit for not shifting into second some times. Sometimes when it does it clunks hard, usually a little better after warmed up. I can also fool it some by letting of the gas just before shift....trying to baby some more miles out of this...

What else should I look for while I'm in there?

Thank you

#10 ·
almost done

I wound up unhooking a bunch of wires, taking out the metal bracket and moving the wire harness out of the way enough to get to the three bolts holding on the solenoid cover.

Both screens were very clogged, amazed it even shifted. I think I made the mistake of soaking the screens along with the o ring, the o ring expanded and I need to replace it now because it's too big.

The other solenoid with the pipes in it had only one clogged screen, the rest were fine.

I'm hoping this will buy me some time.

Andy

#11 ·
I wound up unhooking a bunch of wires, taking out the metal bracket and moving the wire harness out of the way enough to get to the three bolts holding on the solenoid cover.

Both screens were very clogged, amazed it even shifted. I think I made the mistake of soaking the screens along with the o ring, the o ring expanded and I need to replace it now because it's too big.

The other solenoid with the pipes in it had only one clogged screen, the rest were fine.

I'm hoping this will buy me some time.

Andy
Did you try to use a little grease to hold the O-riing in place?
Many times an O-ring will be slightly too large and grease is used (some call it an O-ring shrinker) to hold it in place while assembling it.
You apply it to the O-ring and slowly work the O-ring into its groove. The grease keeps it form popping out.

Buffalo4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.