Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Owners of the 4th gen who utilize H11 bulbs:

There is a way in which we can improve our headlights lumen. Below is an excerpt from MR. D. stern.

Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb. Use a quality brand of regular standard H9 bulb (Philips, Narva, GE, or Osram-Sylvania) with colorless clear glass. You may need to shave a small ridge of plastic off the H9 bulb's connector so that the H11 socket will snap on. Other than that, it's a direct swap. The only disadvantage is shorter low beam bulb life — the H11 is optimised for very long life with relatively modest light output, while the H9 is optimised for very high output with relatively short life. Note that the H9 swap is not universal; it works well in projector-type low beams but is not safe in most reflector-type low beams or in fog lamps of any type.

I know almost everyone gives a shiver regarding PnP kits-- BUT this one almost puts lumens as equivalent as your Pnp kits..

PS. the excerpt & pics above is from my personal e-mail. Please note that I'm in NO way responsible of any possible damages. you can e-mail daniel stern if you want to double check. I just want to share!

Good luck!

·
Registered
301 Posts
I am using Silverstar Ultravisions in my ML350, they are rated at 4100k and claim 50% more light. I think they work really well and almost look like xenons, provide a nice color and amount of light on the road. I can tell a difference in color when I turn on the fog lights on the ML and I have seen them in the rear view mirror and like how they look.

I don't know how smart it is to do what you are claiming on a brand new car in warranty, obviously if you ever have a problem with electrical system you should swap back to original bulbs.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I am using Silverstar Ultravisions in my ML350, they are rated at 4100k and claim 50% more light. I think they work really well and almost look like xenons, provide a nice color and amount of light on the road. I can tell a difference in color when I turn on the fog lights on the ML and I have seen them in the rear view mirror and like how they look.

I don't know how smart it is to do what you are claiming on a brand new car in warranty, obviously if you ever have a problem with electrical system you should swap back to original bulbs.

Its really up to you, I only posted this to help others DECIDE-- for me I dont see any warranty issues.. (its only bulb)

If I may, I want to comment on the silverstar ultra and other bulbs with coating to give a whiter look..--- you are actually losing usable light. The 4100K rating if you dont know is how color of light is rated NOT the lumen.

PS. dont take my word for it-- do some research .

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yeah, most bulbs like those do lose some lumens but Silverstar claims a larger area of the road is lit up with these bulbs. I have no hard evidence of this but I did notice a small amount of this increase and no decrease in visibility. I think an old school bulb is 3k and 1500 lumens and mine is 4100k 1280 lumens. They also had a version with less color temp and a few more lumens but the ultras were the ones that I tried first.

Many people aslo go up to a 65w bulb from the standard 55w (talking H7 here) and claim this is the best option for lumens and color, but the housings are designed for 55w bulbs so I never wanted to try that. They say they have 2000 lumens and a nice color temp and have no negative affect on the housings or electrical system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
good write up; but y? just go buy brighter h11. standard h11 is brighter than h9 and creates less heat. just buy sylvannia like raistlin, problem solved.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Not True: 1760-2240lm for H9 versus 1100-1400lm for H11. H9 wins every time.

thanks tatunka!

12silver may have been confused.. or he maybe NOT reading it well :(
good write up; but y? just go buy brighter h11. standard h11 is brighter than h9 and creates less heat. just buy sylvannia like raistlin, problem solved.

and to quote :
banswee said:
Your low beams take a 1350-lumen H11 bulb. You can easily, safely, and effectively replace this with a 2100-lumen H9 bulb.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Not to insult anyone, but how can you be so sure it is safe to use a different bulb type modified to fit the connector?

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry i met to say silverstar h11 is brighter than standard h9. also h9 uses 65 w which it can damage headlight lens over time by creating yellow stain or cloudy lens. have you guys tried sylvannia silverstar zxe? supposedly it's bright as or brighter than aftermarket h9 bulbs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
sorry i met to say silverstar h11 is brighter than standard h9. also h9 uses 65 w which it can damage headlight lens over time by creating yellow stain or cloudy lens. have you guys tried sylvannia silverstar zxe? supposedly it's bright as or brighter than aftermarket h9 bulbs.
That might be a good alternitive, they say the zxe is 50% brighter. That would be about 1650-2100 lumens. IF they are telling the truth. I have not found any lumen output specs for them yet.

I just put in H9's and they are great.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts