Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my 2011 EX I used the Honda website which displayed an Odyssey with an IPOD cable in the glove box. Because this was the 2011 model year I assumed the website was displaying the current model year however I was mistaken they were and still advertise their Odysseys without displaying a model year so its hard to figure out what exactly you are buying currently the website is displaying the 2012 version however they were also displaying that version back in 2011 mid to late summer when 2012 model was not available. So I expected to find the IPOD cable in the glove box but mine does not have one. I called Honda they said its a typo on the website and I should have clicked the small 2011 version in the upper left corner to get the correct current model year specs. Well I also mentioned that in my manual it says it comes with a IPOD cable in the glove box. Barry from Honda relations said you need to read the small print that says only on EX-L canada versions have this cable. Ok so I was duped doom on me my trust of Honda is gone.
My question is does the EX have the same hookups as the EX-L on the back of the stereo could I install the monsterously expensive $51 Honda cable and get the IPOD hookup although I would not mount it in the glove box which cannot be reached by the driver I would mount it up front need the stereo. Using the AUX input is not the best way to input music from the IPOD to the stereo for a number of reasons. Im shocked that Honda even considered using post amped output just to reamp it causing distortion and power drain on the IPOD. Someone at Honda did not take their smart pill on that one.

·
Super Moderator
13,641 Posts
Moved to the dedicated audio/video forum. For future reference, please post in correct forums to prevent thread locks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So you dont want the aux? Have you tried it?
I have tried it. Its ok for the person who listens to the radio and thinks thats good enough. Problems with distortions abound. More problems the Ipod does not charge while using the AUX so listening is limited on trips. You also have to remember to shut off the IPOD as the stereo cannot when power is removed. You also cannot control the songs without hunting down the IPOD and using it thus taking your eyes off the road. Using the AUX is a poor solution and quite frankly stupid solution when plugging into the IPOD interface is much better. A USB connection is so much more versatile with not only IPOD connectivity but with memory devices and even charging devices.

·
Registered
400 Posts
True. Sadly you're stock with just the aux. Enjoy your ex-- or if you just bought it-- bring it back and replace with ex-l

·
Registered
687 Posts
Someone at Honda did not take their smart pill on that one.
Apparently smart pills need to be passed around to the dealer/salesperson and the buyer too. Just kidding . . .

;)

·
Super Moderator
13,641 Posts
Not too sure about this gen but the prior gen radios were all plug and play and so were the prior gen. So, hope its the same with this gen and if that is the case, once more info comes out, perhaps you can swap with an EX-L radio if it does indeed have the iPOD plug in the back.

I haven't seen any threads for add-on 3rd party products (USA Spec is the most popular for the 3rd gen for iPod Connectivity) for the 4th gen yet but that might be another option that might come along.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently smart pills need to be passed around to the dealer/salesperson and the buyer too. Just kidding . . .

;)
Well I base my information on the homework I did to find the dealer price (not invoice price) and try to match up a vehicle with most of the options I needed while not getting option I didnt need. One of the features I thought I was getting based on the website (hondas) was the IPOD cable. Now I have to try to get the pinouts for the 2011 stereo IPOD cable and try and make one for myself. What im really dreading is taking apart the dash to try and install this cable which I hope will work prior to me taking apart the dash since I dont want to have to do it multiple times. This could have been avoided if Honda would have just used the USB port in the first place and not an AUX port.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not too sure about this gen but the prior gen radios were all plug and play and so were the prior gen. So, hope its the same with this gen and if that is the case, once more info comes out, perhaps you can swap with an EX-L radio if it does indeed have the iPOD plug in the back.

I haven't seen any threads for add-on 3rd party products (USA Spec is the most popular for the 3rd gen for iPod Connectivity) for the 4th gen yet but that might be another option that might come along.
Well my thinking is the radios are identical why make two different ones? This would cost more. But because the tear down of the dash is so horrendous a task one cannot just remove a few screws to find out. I need someone with a 2011 EX to tell me whats behind the radio in terms of connections hopefully someone who upgraded their radio or also has tried to add the IPOD USB cable themselves can tell me and everyone else trying to fix this shortcoming.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Well I base my information on the homework I did to find the dealer price (not invoice price) and try to match up a vehicle with most of the options I needed while not getting option I didnt need. One of the features I thought I was getting based on the website (hondas) was the IPOD cable.
I don't remember the Honda USA or Honda Canada websites ever showing an USB connection port in the 2011 Hoda Odyssey EX. Unfortunately, they have switched to the 2012 models now so not able to verify. Even Edmunds doesn't list it as a feature for the EX model but as a feature for the EX-L model and up:

2011 Honda Odyssey EX Passenger Minivan 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic Features and Specs

2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L Passenger Minivan 3.5L V6 5-speed Automatic Features and Specs

If an individual dealer made a mistake on their website and showed the EX had a USB connection port, then maybe you can take them to ask and ask them for some money back or for them to give you free installation of an aftermarket solution.

Good luck!

:frown:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts