Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone would be able to take some photos of where/how to put lubricant. I want to do this myself, buy the descriptions this forth are not clear to me as to where exactly the lube point are. Photos would help a lot.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Bump

·
Registered
513 Posts
The tech manual says to lube the bottom rail rolling area, moving part and the corner of the middle rail. I include a screenshot of the manual below.

DIYers might disagree and just grease the whole thing... ;)

Nicolas

Attachments

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering how to grease that top track without removing the panel, but this confirmed that they don't expect you to grease the whole thing, just the exposed part of the track

·
Registered
516 Posts
and suggestions on what type of grease to use?
Our doors are starting to squeak a bit

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've always used white lithium grease on parts like this, my Nissan dealer always did it for me when I brought our Pathfinder in for even minor services. Some of the cans have a needle for precise placement in hard to reach areas.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I used gear oil.. LOL.. it did the job and works flawlessly..

Bottoms tracks are the easiest..
Middle Track I applied it to my finger tips and tried to rubber it in a little... all purpose grease would work best for this method

·
Registered
419 Posts
I used gear oil.. LOL.. it did the job and works flawlessly..

Bottoms tracks are the easiest..
Middle Track I applied it to my finger tips and tried to rubber it in a little... all purpose grease would work best for this method
Wouldn't gear OIL attract dirt and stuff?? I would probably stick with the grease.. That's just me though.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
and suggestions on what type of grease to use?
Our doors are starting to squeak a bit
Use a thin all purpose grease only. I cleaned and used a thicker bearing grease the first time and noticed that when you slide the door, the grease really sticks to the rollers. It actually pulls the grease off the bottom rail and has a really good chance for sand and grit to stick to it and make matters worse. Cleaned off the thick grease and used an thinner grease and it's way better. Now the grease stays on the rail.

·
Super Moderator
13,475 Posts
What brand of grease are folks using for this?
Also, anyone can scan the page(s) before and after including what nicomtl posted to see if there are any additional details to a PDF?

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Any follow-up on type of grease? I assume my white lithium in a can is not "thin grease" or is it? Our left side door sort of seems like it is working a little harder as it closes, so I wanted to lube it up. The bottom tracks in general seem like they are very likely to attract dirt and sand etc. I guess it's just what comes with the territory.

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
The bottom track is inside the weatherstripping envelope, so road dirt won't reach it. However, contamination could come from dirt off the feet as people entered through the sliding door. It's always a good idea to clean the track of old grease before lubing, just in case dirt is mixed with the grease.

I found that lithium grease is too light for the bottom track. The door didn't work smoothly in the last 6" or so before closing. I use wheel bearing grease.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I know ROAD dirt doesn't reach it, but when the door is open it is a pretty big area to grab sand, leaves, dirt, small rodents (jk), etc. I know on mine there is always some sand and dirt just down in that floor area where the track is.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Old thread I know - I used some red multipurpose grease to do the lower track. I need to shoot something into the roller assembly and I don't have a grease gun. I guess I can "invest" in one. Or maybe there is another way to inject grease? Or I could just shoot some white lithium in that assembly.

drivers side door has been acting up now (I greased the stuff last Fall) and often opens halfway and then closes again. Need to figure out what's going on there.

Does anyone know if any replacement of rollers etc will be covered under my 7yr/80k HondaCare warranty or will they pull some BS like "the roller is a WEAR ITEM"?

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
As for greasing the rollers, I use aerosol white lithium grease on the roller axles. I removed the middle track cover to get better aim at that roller. You don't want grease on the middle track or the middle rollers.

I use the same grease on the rear hinge. Access is easy when the sliding door is open.

Dave

·
Registered
788 Posts
I'm for the white lithium grease as well. It stays put, is easy to apply/remove, and for me at least does not seem to attract much debris. Whenever I apply a new coat I remove all of the old grease until the track/roller is as clean as I can get it. I just apply a thin coat since a little goes a long way. I use the same on the cable at the bend.

My feeling is that just about any grease will work for this purpose. As mentioned, I agree that it's not a good idea to use a very thick/sticky grease though.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts