Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to set up my usb thumb drive so that it has recognized playlists like an iPod would have?? Playing music through the aux selection, all the songs on my usb just show up as a bunch of stray songs, the system doesn't notice the folders that the songs are stored in. Any advice??

Thanks

iceclimber

·
Registered
16 Posts
iceclimber,
what trim do you have ? i am looking for something similar - playing songs from my USB drive, only i might not have the trim you have.

mine is EX (US), so only an accessory input is available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have 2011 EX-L RES and looking for same functionality. One work around I found, you can select all songs and change the Album title to the folder name or something common. It will all show in under one item.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I read in the manual that you were able to "browse folders". I didn't know they meant the 4 or 5 folders that they have called "Artist", "Album", "Song", etc... I thought they meant you could actually browse your folder setup on your USB drive.

The way I wanted this to work was to have All our music in the root, then have a playlist for myself, my wife, our kids, etc. Even if the car wasn't able to make playlists up, I figured I could just create a folder for us under the root of the drive and recopy the music over into each of our individual folders. Well, since I'm not able to browse folders on the USB drive, that won't work either.

It sounds to me like the work-around for me not being able to browse folders (or create playlists) is to retag the MP3 "album" section of the id3 tag? That will work, but only for one person. If I tag my wifes songs with her name, they they will only show up under Album-My Wife's Name. Then no one else would be able to add that song to their "Folder".

The Honda USB implementation on our 2012 EX-L is pretty terrible. So terrible that we're currently not even using it. Every time we turn the ignition on, the car scans through the whole memory stick, and takes about 15 minutes to do it.

I've also noticed that once you dig your way down into a certain "Artist" it will load up however many songs you have by that artist onto a "playlist" just for that artist. However, once I'm in there, I can't seem to ever "back out of it" and get back to the root...

I'm not sure why the deal is, maybe I'm just not using it correctly. I'd be happy to take any tips on how people use theirs...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Here's a method I use...

If you're using a PC, create a folder in your USB thumb drive and name it the same name as your Playlist in ITunes. In ITunes, open the playlist and select all the songs within. Drag and drop the songs selected in ITunes into the folder you created in the USB thumb drive.

To play after the initial load...

You'll have folders with the same name as your Itunes playlists that you can scan through with your Ody's control knob. On your GPS/Display screen, you'll also see how many songs are within each playlist folder.

What I've noticed is that the sound quality coming from the USB is louder and richer than Bluetooth/Radio/CD and XM. Just my opinion.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
What if you don't have an iPad? Is there anyway to accomplish this without an iPad or iTunes? Or do you have to use iTunes software?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thank You! I'm sick of flipping through ALL the songs by title to find the one I want! I tried making folders as "playlists" on my usb, but the system doesn't even recognize it.
Also, when I do use one of the folders in the system, for example "album", i can only play one song at a time. Then I have to go back to the album again in order to choose another song. Seriously??!? This is a problem with the "Distracted Driving" law!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts