Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does this really save gas in Eco mode? Any trick to maximize it. Mine only seem to show up when not pressing the gas pedal.

·
Registered
40 Posts
My understanding is that Eco mode isn't truly a "mode" that car enters into that conserves more gas, but rather an indication that you are presently driving in the manner that is most fuel-efficient given the current speed & terrain.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I found that using cruise control (whenever possible) and not going over 70 tends to help. Flat ground (or going down an hill) also help keep the eco light on.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I find that tailgating semi trailers is a convenient way to save fuel. Just be sure not to pull in with them at the weight station.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Adster ir right.
If you want to save fuel try to maintain the ECO light on as much as possible, All it takes is a light right foot (and patience!). Regardless compared to our MDX the Ody touring is a fuel miser!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just completed a 6,000 mile trek from Louisiana to California and back. And I will say this, I'm nearly 100% certain that ECO indicates that the engine has shut down one or more cylinders. Thus, I think ECO indicates the use of VCM.

Here's why I think so:

-With strong tailwind and cruise control (flat ground), ECO will come on. However, that same speed cruise control (Thus same RPM), without tailwind, ECO will not come on

-Even if you set cruise control to 85 MPH but are going downhill, ECO can come on. This shows that engine RPM (which can indicate economic driving behavior) is not related to ECO. At cruising gear (5th gear for my trim) I was at 2,780 RPM going 85 MPH. However, the engine probably calculated that I don't need all 6 cylinders moving at that RPM to maintain that vehicle speed. Thus, it makes sense that ECO still came on going downhill.

-Lastly, when the ground shifts upwards slightly, you'll feel the engine 'activate' (I call it that for lack of a better word) and the ECO light will disappear. To me, this feels like the engine fully kicking in.

So, to maximize ECO
1. Drive downhill
2. Drive with the wind
3. Drive at a speed that is best with your current load level

You'll notice these suggestions are silly and impractical. You can't choose to drive with the wind, or drive 45 MPH on the interstate, even if that is your best speed for your load level :)

-Sami

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
So, to maximize ECO
1. Drive downhill
2. Drive with the wind
3. Drive at a speed that is best with your current load level

You'll notice these suggestions are silly and impractical.
Hey, you can choose to drive downhill, but eventually you'll have to drive back :D.

And yes, the ECO and the VCM relationship, I've been feeling the same thing.

·
Registered
296 Posts
this is a common subject, and there are many many posts to search on.
The ECO light is not a VCM indicator. However, that said, you won't find the VCM activated unless you also see ECO. So, they are related. If you're not in ECO mode, you won't get to VCM mode.
Most suggest cruise control, I suggest not ! Unless you're driving in super flat country.
Proof ? just watch what happens as you go up and over an overpass, most of the time the ECO will drop, you can feel VCM drop, sometimes it even downshifts, RPM increases, all to maintain a constant speed up that little hill. Kill that stupid thing, and hold a constant setting, let it slow down a bit uphill, regain it going down (the cruise does just the opposite).
So, yes, drive to keep the ECO light on, it's the only way VCM will be allowed.
The higher the speed the less likely VCM will kick in at all.
How often are you on the brakes ? That's a real clue to how you're driving.
This beast is heavy, takes a lot of gas to get it going, even more if you're trying to race the next guy, let em go.
Also, stopping is unavoidable, so when you do slow down, go full gas off. Until you've dropped below a specific RPM, the engine is totally OFF ... 0 gas usage. So the longer you can coast, gas off, the better.
Back to VCM mode, do a search on VCM mod, if you'd like to build an indicator that does tell you when VCM is active, there is a simple circuit that will light up a LED in that mode.
Or, get the ScanGuage II, while it doesn't know when VCM is active, and it's gas calculations are messed up because of that, there is an OPEN / CLOSED mode that I've noticed does switch when in VCM mode. A fairly good indicator.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts