Honda Odyssey Forum banner

How to replace fog light assembly on a 2019 Odyssey ex-l?

20K views 61 replies 9 participants last post by  Radhakrish 
#1 ·
After removing fog light trim, can you directly get access to replace the fog light assembly?

I looked inside the wheel well & i see no easy way to remove fog light assembly alone since its combined with turn signal.

Or, is the only way to remove the bumper & remove the fog light/turn signal?

Thanks, any videos or diagrams or instructions would be helpful.

#5 ·
Honestly if I had to do it again - I'd definitely remove the bumper. You can remove the trim through the wheel well, then move it around and remove the bolts holding the fog light from the opening created on the front but it's a pain and takes longer that way. I'd say it took me 30+ minutes per side. It would be way quicker with the bumper removed. Just remove the whole bracket, swap out and you're done! 👍🏻

#7 ·
Yes, screws and clips that are accessible from the back. Then you have to remove the bolts holding the fog light from the front, then feed the fog light back through the wheel well iirc. Like I said, it's way easier with the bumper off. 🙂

#9 · (Edited)
I wanted to replace with Diode Dynamics SS3 led fog kit...

Though its marketed for Civic & Pilot, do you think this will work for Odyssey?

When i look on Amazon CarParts360 sell similar oem style fog light for Honda & Acura.

Dont want to go through the whole trouble if it maynt fit.

Thanks for everyones response.

#13 · (Edited)
I removed the bumper (thanks to your how to video suggestion).

This is an excellent fog light IMHO & a lot better option compared to an LED bulb upgrade.

It covers the foreground extremely well & very wide. I don't think it will blind oncoming traffic (to be tested).

This fog light kit isn't sold an Odyssey specific version, but for Subaru & a couple of Honda's (Civic & Pilot).

I took a chance & bought it since I saw that similar fog lights are sold in Amazon that are for generic Acura & Honda.

I had to do 2 modifications to make it fit/flush mount.

1. Mount hit has 4 holes, whereas Honda comes with 3 holes & 4th shaped like a keyhole.

There is enough room in the mount kit to convert one such mounting hole to a keyhole shape (minor change).

2. Circumference of this light is slightly larger than the OEM, hence, i had to use a file to trim some bumper trim piece on the inside.

I will take some pictures of the light output & send it.

It certainly overpowers factory low beam, next project would be to upgrade HID low beam.

#16 ·
I went
Based on my understanding (of what I read & videos watched), a custom made LED fog light assembly (especially these type of PODs) are a much better option compared to simply replacing LED bulb alone.

When you replace an LED bulb alone (in a reflector fog light housing), it scatters light all over, not wide & not a perfect beam pattern for a fog light application.
That could happen with low quality LEDs. If the LED chips are placed perfectly where filament is on a halogen bulb and correctly oriented towards reflectors - you'll get the same light pattern as stock just brighter.

#15 ·
Based on my understanding (of what I read & videos watched), a custom made LED fog light assembly (especially these type of PODs) are a much better option compared to simply replacing LED bulb alone.

When you replace an LED bulb alone (in a reflector fog light housing), it scatters light all over, not wide & not a perfect beam pattern for a fog light application.

#30 ·
There's plenty of information out there already...

I will look at other photos & upload as appropriate.

Consider the fact that fog lights are flush mounted within the bumper in Odyssey, unlike one mounted & completely visible,

In Odyssey sort of application you tend to lose some width...

For my use in a California weather (fog & rain), sport is plentiful.

#32 · (Edited)
I had the same feeling/experience, after i installed it first...

But, you have room to tilt it down... & it won't reflect afterwards.

Having said that, this light itself has a taller & wider beam pattern compared to factory halogen & hence, would be slightly reflecting up (comparatively).

Also, pro has a wider & taller beam pattern, than sport.

When you mounted it, did you fix the bracket so that light is facing down all the way?

Anyway, you can tilt it down after installing too, just by applying downward pressure on the light directly.

Hint: I used a camera to take picture from the front facing straight (camera very low to ground) & was able to adjust it properly.

Looks awesome...

How was the installation? Did you remove the bumper?

Please include picture from the front or side view.

#33 · (Edited)
I had the same feeling/experience, after i installed it first...

But, you have room to tilt it down... & it won't reflect afterwards.

Having said that, this light itself has a taller & wider beam pattern compared to factory halogen & hence, would be slightly reflecting up (comparatively).

Also, pro has a wider & taller beam pattern, than sport.

When you mounted it, did you fix the bracket so that light is facing down all the way?

Anyway, you can tilt it down after installing too, just by applying downward pressure on the light directly.

Hint: I used a camera to take picture from the front facing straight (camera very low to ground) & was able to adjust it properly.

Looks awesome...

How was the installation? Did you remove the bumper?

Please include picture from the front or side view.
thanks, I have very little space left to tilt it, but any tilting is good. I did have to remove the bumper.
No, I didn't tilt it at all, that could be the issue I suppose
So I can just force it a bit down even though they are installed and tightened ?

Attachments

#34 ·
Yes, I did exactly the same, didn't want to remove the bumper again to adjust the bracket so that light is facing down.

Apply gentle force using your fingers/thumb & you can tilt it. If you have any trim removal tool (plastic) that would do.

The adjustment need not be significant to achieve the result. As I mentioned, use a camera to take pictures of current setup at low angle, see if its glaring & adjust slightly.

#37 ·
You can look at the pictures I posted in my earlier posts & here are a couple of more.

I would focus on making sure that fog light is covering the foreground as much (starts to light up the ground right after the bumper) & bridges the gap to the low beam.

One of the photo shows that fog light is actually lighting up the bumper right below it (4679)...

And, in 4661, you can see that the right side light wasn't adjusted as much & I was able to spot it after taking this photo.

And, 4703 shows that the light reflects right below it in even in the bumper.

You can get there without forcing it too much.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.