Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am told by my local Honda dealer that my 2003 Ody EX needs the alternator belt needs replaced. First of all, is the alternator belt the same as the serpentine belt or the drive belt?

I have been looking for how to videos on the replacement of this belt for my particular year and am not having very good luck. I am not really finding good replacement videos for any Ody years in general for this particular belt. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
13,549 Posts
On the gen 2 Odyssey there are two belts. There is a power steering belt and an alternator-compressor belt. Here's how to remove the alternator-compressor belt.

Text Line art Font Diagram Illustration

·
Registered
138 Posts
I recently did this job and found it be straightforward. I received some good advice through a thread titled 2002 Ody Serpentine Belt Replacement. I am not sure if the 2003 Odyssey is the same as the 2002 but I am believe it is close. The biggest pain is getting under the vehicle and accessing the belt tensioner. Search the mentioned thread and it should work for you.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I recently did this job and found it be straightforward. I received some good advice through a thread titled 2002 Ody Serpentine Belt Replacement. I am not sure if the 2003 Odyssey is the same as the 2002 but I am believe it is close. The biggest pain is getting under the vehicle and accessing the belt tensioner. Search the mentioned thread and it should work for you.
Thank you. Per John Clark, the belt is called an alternator-compressor belt. Having difficulty finding a belt called that for my year. Is it also called the serpentine belt? Is it helpful to get a serpentine belt tool that part stores loan out or is a cresent wrench good enough? Thanks.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
I put his into google: 2003 honda odyssey alt/com belt

And I get many hits for the belt and several videos on replacing it. As John Clark's service manual page shows, the belt is
99-01 & 02-04 specific. So if you find a video for an 04, that will be the same as your van. Under the hood, there was no difference in the 02-04 model years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I used a 12pt 3/4" combination wrench to release the belt tension. I ordered a Bando 6PK1165 serpentine belt from Amazon, 28$, I did not borrow any tools from the parts store. If you search for the thread titled 2002 Ody Serpentine belt replacement the details are pretty good. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.