Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A family member gave me a old '89 F250 PU, and the red paint is very chalked up. You can write your name in the chalk. I bought some of the heavier "chalk & scratch remover compound" but the vehicle is large and wanted to get some advice first before spending hours.

I have a "buffer" which works well with wax, but I doubt it would be sufficient with this. I have seen those rotating, swirl-inducing buffers on TV shows, maybe I need to buy one of those? Any hints appreciated. :DD

·
Registered
369 Posts
There really are no options when the paint and clear is that far gone, other than repainting. You may find a product or two that makes the paint look better but it will be only a matter of days before returning to dull "chalk".

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really think a paint compounding and wax would greatly improve it. I'll try on top of the roof for a test.

·
Registered
8,859 Posts
NuFinish is the toughest wax I know of. I haven't used it on paint that is oxidized as bad as yours, but it does work well on dull paint. It also buffs off very easily with a soft cloth.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks, that's a great idea and saves a LOT of effort! I'll take some pics when I get to it. I'm currently getting my AC repaired on the #$^@*%$ Van and had a bunch of other stuff to do on my other vehicle, and the truck is now leaking oil on the driveway - something is amiss now it wasn't doing that before...but I'll get to it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I looked carefully at the PCable buffer/polisher, and the Meguires, and it seemed like the D handle might be better and the Meguires comes with more amp'd motor. But that guy is major annoying on Speed channel show and I like PC power tools so far, the ball bearing construction looks good. Anyone tried the Meguire's polisher?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quite a few years ago -decades, actually- I read a story about restoring faded paint. The test article was an older Volvo. Paint was badly faded, cracked, and bleached-out on the roof. Looking at this you would say "no frigging way".
By the end of the article they had brought the paint back to nearly new looking condition. It was truly amazing. I apologize I can't remember who did the story, or, the exact details. I do remember a clay bar and a restoration product was used, and a lot of buffing.
My point is, give it a shot. Worked for those guys.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
NuFinish is the toughest wax I know of. I haven't used it on paint that is oxidized as bad as yours, but it does work well on dull paint. It also buffs off very easily with a soft cloth.
NuFinish will work but it will still fade after a month or so. I use it on my faded crossbars. Finally got fed up with polishing them and replaced them with another set.

·
Registered
216 Posts
If the paint chalk is red(ish) then you've got single stage paint. It can possibly be brought back to a nice shiny finish. It will need regular polishing to keep it shiny. That's the nature of single stage paint... and why most cars now come with clearcoat.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts