Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone know how to tap the reverse electrical circuit in the FRONT of the vehicle? I have an Ody 2006.

I installed a reverse camera on the backup lights in the back, and I'd like to power the front mini-screen using the backup/reverse circuit from the front circuits... maybe near the fuses...

But ONLY when the car is *IN* reverse... not all the time.. ONLY when I'm reversing...

Ideas?

Thanks,

Carl

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
You will have to locate the wire for the reverse circuit under the dash for your 2006. I could tell you the wire or fuse on a 2nd Generation Ody though.

FWIW, if the video camera is similar to the VR3 that I have, you can just plug the monitor into the accessory socket until you hardwire the monitor to the ACC and Backup circuits. The monitor will be in standby (screen off but LED power light on) and come to life when you are select the Reverse gear (since you have wired the camera in the rear to the reverse lights already).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is the green wire on the 8pin connector under the drivers seat present in my 2000 ody that the factory used in the 05+ vehicles to trigger the nav display to show the backup camera when in reverse?

Or are we looking for the green-black reverse/back up light wire underneath the driver's door sill cover?

The reason I ask is we added the vr3 wireless camera reverse backup system on our 2000 EX NAV and are trying to use the aftermarket lcd display but are at a loss to finding how to tap it into the reverse lights at the front of the vehicle... It displays only when the reverse camera is on but it tends to pick up security camera feeds when driving and makes a startling static sound---

Our options are A)one of the above wires if present, B)run a wire all the way from the back of the vehicle (do not want to do this), or C)find another wire up front after the reverse switch (maybe located on the side of the transmission?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
I don't have NAV but have the VR3 video backup system. To avoid interference from other systems, you will want to tap into the green/black reverse wire in the driver's floor area. See picture below:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=322099

Upon further research, I believe the green/black wire in the 8P connector to the NAV is the reverse wire. You may tap into this if this is the case. Use a test light to confirm...

·
Registered
4 Posts
connector 504 pin#12 male end, under the passenger kick panel
in an 07 ex-l no nav. no res.

.... just checked it is the same for an 06

·
Registered
131 Posts
shharms said:
connector 504 pin#12 male end, under the passenger kick panel in an 07 ex-l no nav.
Hi shharms,

Do you have pics of where exactly this 504 connector is and the wire color for the pin#12?

TIA!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Follow-up on location

Anybody have an idea where this 504 connector is specifically located in the passenger kick panel?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wish I could help. I saw this post before I installed my rear-view camera but it didn't help much--there are a lot of connectors under there!

Since I had to run a wire all the way to the back for the camera anyway, I just ran one extra wire and tapped into the back-up light in the tailgate. It does the job and really didn't add any extra work for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks for the input speedbump1. I'm just worried because I already have a backup sensor (PD1 Electromagnetic Sensor) tapped into that wire. If I add the camera and the wire from the head unit I might overload that wire.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wouldn't worry about that. The reverse sensor for the HU and/or camera will draw a negligible amount of current. It is not used to power anything, it just senses the +12v to turn on the camera functionality.

This is just my personal opinion, though I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (and I am an EE).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would it not be better to take it to a garage or Public Liability Insurance that dealt with these things day in or day out rather than try to do it yourself as if you make a mistake and then have to have something fixed then you could end up paying for it??

But i mean it seems quite simple apart from that you need it just to do it in reverse, but i hope you figure it out soon enough my friend :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
speedbump1 said:

Since I had to run a wire all the way to the back for the camera anyway, I just ran one extra wire and tapped into the back-up light in the tailgate. It does the job and really didn't add any extra work for me.
Sorry I misunderstood your question, hence I am editing my original post.

I am also in the same boat like you trying to find the REVERSE WIRE to hardwire my wireless backup camera receiver. All I could find is below instructions from nwf_snake

"Driver's side under-dash fuse/Relay Box.
Connector A (10 pins, 4 top/6 bottom). Pin 6 green/blk, is the reverse light wire"

But I was not able to find the Connector A, Any help finding the reverse wire at the front of the vehicle is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Anybody help? I got the same problem today on my 09 Ody EX.

I was not able to locate the backup wire near the front driver circuit.

Now I am thinking of add another wire from back to front, but I have closed the panel of the tailgate, so I have to reopen all those panels. I already have wire installed for camera video.

·
Super Moderator
13,556 Posts
HappyBear said:

Now I am thinking of add another wire from back to front, but I have closed the panel of the tailgate, so I have to reopen all those panels. I already have wire installed for camera video.
Search Term: reverse and wire
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=48103&highlight=reverse+and+wire

Read my post a few posts down for links to other threads for the reverse wire with better description and a occasional picture or two.

·
Registered
395 Posts
HappyBear said:

For your EX the Green wire terminates at connector 504, pin number 12, Green Wire. For EXL/Touring Number 9, Green Wire at this connector.

Here's the photo, but i do not have the PIN diagram(got it see insert 5/29/). You should be able to tell since it terminates there - no wire coming out of the other side....goodluck.

Please DO post some pictures if you're able to TAP the reverse wire from there.

RBRT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks RoBoRaT, I was able to locate the reverse line. It is the Top Right Blue slot as shown in my picture below.

The slot is empty on top, and the line is run from the bottom and ends there. I was able to insert a line from the top and connect to my rear view mirror. It would be better if I can find some kind of adapter which will actually fit in the empty slot.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Another question here. Is there an ACC line near the passenger side fuse?

I connected to the driver side fuse for ACC power, and I had to route the reverse line from Passenger side to the driver side. If I can locate an ACC on the passenger side, I can route all lines there.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
HappyBear said:
It would be better if I can find some kind of adapter which will actually fit in the empty slot.
Or you can use T tap connector or scotchlok to splice and tap the wire before it insert in the 504 connector.

Thanks for the photo.

Which are you trying to power with the ACC line? The closest might be (splicing) the 12V outlet near the AUX line input below the front cup holders....I do not know if there is an ACC line from the passenger kick panel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HappyBear's rearview mirror detail..

Hi HappyBear,

Your rearview mirror looks COOL.
What is the product's name/ price? Was it your DI install? If so can you please share some details ?..

Thanks!!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts