Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 2016 Elite was stolen but luckily recovered in just 48 hours. My wife is super shaken and being a bit paranoid about it. She's concerned that the thieves may have paired their own key fob to the car and could possibly steal it again since we are keeping it at the same address. I personally think its very unlikely due to the complexity and cost for the types of people who had our car for 48 hours over a weekend no less. But is there a way without special tools to check how many key fobs are active for my car? Or, is there a way for me to re-pair my existing key fobs while removing all others like a garage door opener reset.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't think there's any way to tell that from what us owners can see. That would be a conversation to have with a Honda dealer, and maybe your insurance company. I don't think your wife is unreasonable to be concerned about it and getting her some reassurance will be valuable. I also agree with you that it's unlikely there are extra keys to your van floating around.

If thieves really wanted to keep your van for a longer term, you wouldn't have gotten in back in 48 hours and you probably wouldn't have gotten it back in one piece.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My WAG is that they used a key amplifier to steal the car. Keep your fobs in a metal box so that it's not transmitting when it's inside the house.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry I should have elaborated. The thieves were not that clever. They were able to get a hold of one of the original key fobs that was being returned to me via mail(I know, dumb). It was stolen off my porch after the mail courier left it there as I was not home at the time.

I'm inclined to think that the average mail thief would not have the resources or desire to pair a new key fob in the 48 hours that they had the car. I guess if they had a buddy at a dealer but they would also have to pay them for new fob which is an added expense for little benefit. Not sure how tightly replacement fobs are secured at dealers for this reason so their staff aren't activating illegal duplicates.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well it turns out I need a ODBII tool to reprogram keys on a Honda. Plus it seems theres a function to check how many paired keys exist as well.

Of course the cost of one of these tools (a cheaper one than in the above video) is much less than dealer cost or even independent locksmith cost.

Dealer: $180 just to reprogram existing 2 keys
Locksmith: $110 just to reprogram existing 2 keys
Tool: $100

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
You'll be VERY surprised what these crooks can do. They can program keys in minutes. I'm talking about these sophisticated smart keys, not regular keys.

Just have the 2 keys reprogrammed to be on the safe side. I would definitely do that.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Wow! Using the keys to steal the same car twice? Talk about a cruel way to mess with someone's head. Just when the owner gets over the shock of having the vehicle stolen and then the relief of getting it back, they do it again. 😳

I've learned some things from this thread:

1. I'm a little too naive about passive keyless entry. I had never heard of signal amplification as a way to steal a car. But it would totally work, at least until the engine is turned off.

2. It never occurred to me that stealing the same car twice could actually be a strategy for a thief. Whenever they needed a vehicle they could just go get it without even breaking anything.

I think you should definitely get your keys reprogrammed. Seems like cheap insurance and peace of mind.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dealer is telling me that the 2016 odyssey could only ever have 2 fobs paired. Can anyone confirm? This seems like a good security measure but also there’s probably people who want more keys?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Dealer is telling me that the 2016 odyssey could only ever have 2 fobs paired. Can anyone confirm? This seems like a good security measure but also there’s probably people who want more keys?
This is most likely not true. Our 2015 Odyssey (which is identical to the 2016s) has three active key fobs. We got two when we bought the van and then later we thought we lost one of those and had a replacement made. When the missing key eventually turned up (because of course it did) we ended up having three active key fobs.

The only complicating factor here might be that I don't actually know if the third key is an exact clone of the first one. I don't know if that's even possible. I know that I drove our van to the dealership with the one remaining key fob we had and left with two working keys. I know that the temporarily missing key still works perfectly. I also know that my wife and I have carried various combinations of multiple keys into the van at the same time (sometimes all three fobs have ended up inside the van) and never had an issue.

·
Registered
364 Posts
This is most likely not true. Our 2015 Odyssey (which is identical to the 2016s) has three active key fobs.
Touring/Elites with the power memory seat may be different? (they only have two seat settings, each linked to a specific fob) That's the only explanation I can think of.

-Charlie

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Touring/Elites with the power memory seat may be different? (they only have two seat settings, each linked to a specific fob) That's the only explanation I can think of.

-Charlie
Good point - our van doesn't have that feature so the limitations it could bring didn't spring to mind for me.

I can't believe that you could add extra keys to an EX and not to an Elite. If that's really the case, then that would probably have to mean that key fobs are exactly duplicatable (right down to the immobilizer chip) and my first and third keys are clones of each other.

Either way, I don't see this as reassuring at all to the OP.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pretty sure they don't 'duplicate' the 'chip' or 'code' when you get a new key made. Instead they 'pair' a new coded fob to your car so your cars computer will recognize 2/3/4 codes as valid. As for the 2 seat memory thing adding a 3rd or more fob might just not have the ability to recall a seat setting while still being able to unlock and start the car. That seems like a plausible compromise.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You can have the fobs that you have re-paired with the van by either a dealer or locksmith--only the fobs present during the re-pairing process will work with the van. HOWEVER, if the missing fob is still not in your possession, the metal key inside the fob can still be used to open the mechanical door lock on the driver's side as well as the glove box.

It will cost more, but you may want to consider having the mechanical door lock re-keyed at the same time you get your fobs paired. If the miscreants left the fob in your van and they didn't copy the metal key, you should be fine.

If you do happen to re-key the lock make sure you keep a copy of the new key cut-code. That new cut code can be used to cut new keys if any of your metal keys break.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts