Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 EX-L. I looked in the book, and tried the search function here. I can get instructions by pushing "enter" and selecting "voice", and it reads the next instruction to me, or tells me to continue on the road I'm on for xx miles.

How do I turn on the voice so that each new instruction speaks to me? I just cannot seem to find the option, and based on comments I read (about the nagging comment on unverified roads), I know it can do it.

Hopefully, this info is not in the manual, or in a prior message and I posted in the right forum, so I will get a good answer instead of getting chastised.

doug

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
You did post in the right forum. Thank You.

What does your navigation system do when you approach a turn that you have to take? It stays quiet?

If its completely quiet, Voice Guidance might be off. Try starting at page 55 of the Navigation Manual or please describe better what you are asking.

If you want the system to also speak street names, then try page 108 of the Navigation Manual (not the big owner's manual but the smaller Navigation manual) as that feature is called Street Name guidance. But the Navigation only speaks when your're like half a mile out so its mostly quiet. I am not sure what your's is doing but it should at least be saying "Next Right Turn" or "2nd right turn" or if you have the street name guidance on it will also say that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, when a turn pops up on the display, I never get an audio instruction. page 55 describes what I want to happen, but it does not tell me how to turn the feature on. I do get the readout that shows the turn coming up in 1000 feet and the "thermometer" counts it down to 100 ft.

I have tried with the radio on and with it off. When I press "enter", and then the "voice" button, I do get a spoken instruction for the current step of the route ("continue for 7 miles then turn left").

Late update: I found it! I went out before hitting Send on this message, and I came across it. On the Info-Setup screen, the volume there was off. Page 90 of the navigation book. It should not take two weeks to find an option!

What does your navigation system do when you approach a turn that you have to take? It stays quiet?

If its completely quiet, Voice Guidance might be off. Try starting at page 55 of the Navigation Manual or please describe better what you are asking.

If you want the system to also speak street names, then try page 108 of the Navigation Manual (not the big owner's manual but the smaller Navigation manual) as that feature is called Street Name guidance. But the Navigation only speaks when your're like half a mile out so its mostly quiet. I am not sure what your's is doing but it should at least be saying "Next Right Turn" or "2nd right turn" or if you have the street name guidance on it will also say that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I understand now why the sales manager that drove this car as a demo had the volume off. With the volume on the nav set on so I can hear directions, it also reads out every radio station change, every phone selection, in short, every time I turn the selector knob to anything. Quite annoying. Too bad there is no macro-capability where we can create a shortcut to some of the most useful menu options.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts