Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wiring up a dash cam and having a hard time finding a fuse that is switched on with the ignition. I had a "add a circuit" on the radio one, but that one ended up staying hot all the time. Had anyone done this yet? Where did you splice in?

·
Registered
448 Posts
I wouldn’t splice anything given all the electrical issues with this van. The first thing a dealer will do is blame it on installer error when it comes to a warranty issue.

·
Registered
771 Posts
you may create load issue by splicing things. I plan to just plug it into the 12v outlet until vehicle under warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice, I'm installing it, and I'm not going to plug it into the cigarette lighting, that looks ghetto, sorry. As I said, I'm using a "add a circuit" it plugs into an existing fuse.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
2,314 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wiring up a dash cam and having a hard time finding a fuse that is switched on with the ignition. I had a "add a circuit" on the radio one, but that one ended up staying hot all the time. Had anyone done this yet? Where did you splice in?
See my post which talks you through exactly what you are asking, with pictures.

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,050 Posts
A few moments with a digital multimeter is all you need to verify whether a particular fuse slot is always hot or key activated.

The biggest advantage to this method is certainty that you have what you want instead of blindly trusting what someone told you on the Internet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
looks like 2018 fuse box layout is quite a bit different
here is a link
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/ATHR1818OM/enu/ATHR1818OM.PDF
page 724
Try Fuse box A fuse 15 or 18. I imagine both will only have power when the car is on.
18 (Heated Steering Wheel) was my first pick also and surprisingly it has power even with the car off. I'm assuming this is for remote start, because the heated steering wheel comes on. I will try #15 (Rear Wiper). If someone finds a switched fuse please share.

·
Registered
43 Posts
#15 (Rear Wiper) did go on and off with ignition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A few moments with a digital multimeter is all you need to verify whether a particular fuse slot is always hot or key activated.

The biggest advantage to this method is certainty that you have what you want instead of blindly trusting what someone told you on the Internet.
Thank you for your note. I'm going to use "add a circuit " fuse, but not sure if I can add it onto a "empty" slot. Are empty slots on the fuse box working for dash cam?

·
Registered
2015 Odyssey EX
2,050 Posts
Thank you for your note. I'm going to use "add a circuit " fuse, but not sure if I can add it onto a "empty" slot. Are empty slots on the fuse box working for dash cam?
In general, yes. Every slot in a fuse panel is energized by a bus bar behind the panel but the slot only becomes active once a fuse is inserted. A dashcam does not draw very much current so you have a fair number of options, depending on how you want to set up the dashcam power supply.

Never ever choose a safety-related fuse to piggyback onto - no headlights, no wipers, no exterior lights, no ABS, no PCM, no fuel pump, ... things like that should always be left alone. Stuff like power seats or accessory plugs or certain empty slots are good choices. In my van, I had an empty slot for automatic headlight leveling (that our van isn't equipped with) which I used for our dashcam.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts