Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Just wondering what is the proper way to break-in a conventional (not hybrid or electric) gas vehicle? And how long in terms of km or miles is the breaking in period?

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's covered in the manual, basically no really hard braking if you can avoid it or lengthy idling for the first 1000 kms.
There really isnt a break in concern with new vehicles anymore with advances to tolerances in engine manufacturing now. The brake thing is really just to get the pads and rotors seated and wearing evenly at the start.
Leave the oil that came from the factory in it until the maintenance minder tells you to change it, it has some sort of additives in it that assist in break in.

·
Registered
143 Posts
a few years back, it was advisable to also vary speed during the first 1200 Km or so,
and over all be gentle with the engine at all times.
Some manufactures now advise aginst warming up the vehicle at all times; instead,
just drive smoothly for the first 5 minutes or so. There are sevral reasons why.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My dealership inflated tires of my EX-L to 36 while it should be 33. I drove with it for three weeks. Not sure whether it will ruin my break-in.

So do not trust them, check your tire pressure.

·
Registered
197 Posts
^ don't worry, 3psi difference isn't a big deal. adjust when you can, it won't affect break-in at all.

·
Banned
728 Posts
a few years back, it was advisable to also vary speed during the first 1200 Km or so,
and over all be gentle with the engine at all times.
Some manufactures now advise aginst warming up the vehicle at all times; instead,
just drive smoothly for the first 5 minutes or so. There are sevral reasons why.
I agree. :)

·
Registered
130 Posts
Leave the oil that came from the factory in it until the maintenance minder tells you to change it, it has some sort of additives in it that assist in break in.
I thought that the factory fill oil is not great for it - there is something different chemically about it as they anticipate the engine will sit for an extended period of time without being started. I plan on doing my first oil change at 1000 miles. When my last engine was torn down at 137k miles (due to oil starvation - long story), it was barely worn (used Mobil 1 since 10k miles and never went more than 6k between changes - and saw a lot of track days).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I thought that the factory fill oil is not great for it - there is something different chemically about it as they anticipate the engine will sit for an extended period of time without being started. I plan on doing my first oil change at 1000 miles. When my last engine was torn down at 137k miles (due to oil starvation - long story), it was barely worn (used Mobil 1 since 10k miles and never went more than 6k between changes - and saw a lot of track days).
I had our 1st change done at 2k miles at the stealership. I converted to Mobile1 at 6k miles after the 3rd oil change and will never return to the stealership except for recalls. I do all my own maintenance and tune-ups where possible and keep all receipts and a detailed log for the stealership. Given my experiences across many manufactures, the dealers are ALL stealerships that will screw you for any money they can make and just grin and stick you with the bill.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Slightly off-topic but relevant:
About four decades ago I enjoyed an all-day tour of a GM plant; Bent metal parts came in, built cars went out!
The most eye-opening part of the entire, long day was at the very end of assembly line. Went something like this:
Install battery, fill oil, splash of gasoline, start engine, drive car forward onto rollers, *push accelerator to floor and hold, while shifting through all gears*!
There was a huge (huge!) speedometer on a wall that read speed from the rollers. The 'driver' had to reach a certain speed in every gear - More than a few didn't. This was repeated for each and every car.
I remember thinking to myself, "so much for a gentle break-in. The engine isn't even 30 seconds old and it's already seen more abuse than I'd ever give it".

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yup. We toured the Nissan plant in Spring Hill, Tn a couple of decades ago. They took every truck up to redline in every gear on a set of rollers. Especially exciting on the 4wd trucks, where all 4 wheels weree on rollers. Since then, I haven't really worried about break-in.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Its not just the engine breaking in, its the whole car, which is a whole lot of independent systems working together. So breaking in is advised for the whole car.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Its not just the engine breaking in, its the whole car, which is a whole lot of independent systems working together. So breaking in is advised for the whole car.
Agreed. Breaking in new brakes is seriously important if you want the pads and rotors to last a long time. They need even heat cycles to bed properly and strengthen the rotors so they don't weaken and warp over time. That's not just for a new car, that's anytime you replace front brakes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Hi, Just wondering what is the proper way to break-in a conventional (not hybrid or electric) gas vehicle?
A nice big crowbar ? :DD

1 - 13 of 13 Posts