Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '08 Odyssey Touring with 45,000 recently starting with a howling noise when slowly turning and braking, i.e. when turning into a parking spot or driving through a parking garage. I saw a TSB regarding possible issues with the parking brake. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
786 Posts
It sounds to me like you have the classic power steering problem. There is a TSB out on it and your mileage is right on schedule. I'm at 120K and I'm getting ready for my 4th. It is a weak point on the 3rd gen Ody that apparently was never corrected during the designs run.

·
Super Moderator
1,247 Posts
My '08 Odyssey Touring with 45,000 recently starting with a howling noise when slowly turning and braking, i.e. when turning into a parking spot or driving through a parking garage. I saw a TSB regarding possible issues with the parking brake. Any other thoughts?
It wasn't a TSB. It was a June 2009 Honda Service News article "Rear Wheels Howl or Moan When Braking"
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SN/A09060o.pdf
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SN/A09060O.PDF

My 08 Touring has the same issue. I bet that is your problem.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My '05 with 72k miles is doing the same thing and I can make it do it any time I want. It's very embarassing to have my van howling all over a parking lot. Is this something that the Honda dealer will fix for free or not?

·
Registered
469 Posts
My 07 made that noise too, took it to the stealership and they said it was dust in the parking brake, they can clean and adjust the brake for $60...am like no thanks! I ended up doing the brakes and noise is gone!! Freaking stealership told me that my front brakes need replacing they were down to 1mm. When I looked at them and compare to the new pads they weren't even half way! And they told me that they can clean my TB and clean fuel system for $200...if they would of looked they would of found that my TB is clean!! NEVER TRUST THE DEALERSHIP!

·
Registered
6 Posts
A little confused about your remedy...You say you ended up doing the brakes? What exactly did you do; replace front and/rear brake pads, resurfaced front or rear disc brake rotors...A little more clarification as to what you exactly did would be a great help in the hunt for the remedy of this common concern. Thank You

·
Registered
178 Posts
I get the howling noise once in a while when braking, not braking and turning. I wonder if it is the same thing. The brake pads are not that old. It goes away after a couple of more times braking. Since it doesn't happen often at all, very hard to replicate for the dealer to diagnoise.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Aftermarket ceramic brake pads will permanently eliminate this issue, and you'll never have to go back to have the brakes cleaned because of the howl.

I did the switch to Centric Parts Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad and I've never gone back.

2007 Odyssey Touring Navi/RES Dark Cherry/Ivory

Mods / Upgrades
- Honda Care 8yr/120,000 mile extended warranty
- Fender Well trim (08P21-SHJ-100)
- Color Matching Door Edge Guards
- Mud Flaps (08P00-SHJ-101)
- Trunk Liner
- Spare Tire & Jack
- Cargo Storage Net
- Plus One Center Seat Added
- Viper 5701 LE Remote Start w/ Comfort Closure & full control of side doors and lift gate (one key FOB!)
- Two extra Viper 2-way Remotes (7251V)
- RES DVD Video on Navi Screen using NavTV (RGBHON+)
- 3M Window Tint on front doors (20%) and Windshield (45%)
- Hella 80W low beam bulbs (HLA-H83170031)
- Front & Rear Centric Parts Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad
- 17" Special Edition SE-14 dePAX Replacement Wheels - Installed
- Polycarbonate Hub Centric Rings from Justforwheels.com (64.1/79.5)
- Aftermarket Honda Emblem Center Cap Decals
- Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires (235/60R17)
- Wheel Locks
- Sunshine Kids Stuff 'n Scuff Seat Protectors
- Using AMSOIL 100% Synthetic 0W-20 Motor Oil (ASMQT)
- Using AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid (ATFQT-EA)

Repairs Under Warranty:
- Dead Battery
- Front Driver's Side Seat Back Squeak
- Driver's Side Sliding Door Creak (TSB #06-003)
- Fog Light Adjustment
- Delay When Shifting from R to D (TSB #07-063)
- Torque Converter Shutter (TSB #09-053)
- Peeling paint on rear lift gate on the lip above the license plate (74892-SHJ-A61ZL)
- Passenger Side AC Vent Decal Missing
- Driver's Side Window Auto Roll-up Issue
- RES Headphones Not Working (TSB# 07-084)
- Key FOB #1 Stopped Working
- Brake Pedal Feels Soft (TSB# 07-045)
- Driver's Side Center Row Seat Rattle
- Groaning Noise from Brakes When Hot (TSB #06-024)
- Cracking leather on driver's seat bottom on the side facing the door.
- Large glove compartment door does not close flush
- PCM update
- Scratch on B pillar garnish created when dealer replaced the front seat
- Tailgate Gas Struts Failing
- Gap on Dashboard around Airbag (TSB #09-017)
- Right and Left Lower Control Arms
- Rear Engine Mount

·
Registered
372 Posts
Amazon is definitely an option. There have been a few threads about aftermarket pads on this forum comparing ceramic to metallic pads and different brands. It seems almost any aftermarket option is better AND cheaper than the OEM pads, however the problem you are trying to alleviate is excessive dust, which can easily be solved by changing to Ceramic pads.
Front Pads:
Amazon.com: Centric 105.1089 Posi-Quiet Ceramic Brake Pad with Shims: Automotive

Rear Pads:
http://www.amazon.com/Centric-105-1088-Posi-Quiet-Ceramic-Brake/dp/B000IY64JO/

Tire Rack is another option, and there are many others:
Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Pads

1 - 10 of 10 Posts