Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My husband and I just bought a 2003 Odyssey with 94,000 miles on it. The dealer is giving us until the end of the month (i.e., three more days) to decide if we want to buy an extended warranty for it, and we're not sure what to do. These things are not cheap! The warranty they are offering is about $2500. Money is tight right now so that would be a huge additional expense for us.

We keep hearing about tranny problems on the older Odysseys. One mechanic we talked to said 2003's have a lot of tranny problems and said it is about $3800 to get it replaced. Another mechanic told us that it's mostly the 1999-2002 Odyssey's that have tranny problems, and that 2003's are usually okay. So... Now we're really on the fence. I know anything can happen, no matter what the year, but we're trying to figure out which way to gamble right now.

What do all of you experts Ody owners think? Is an extended warranty on an '03 Ody worth the (pricey) investment?

Thanks for the advice!
Gina O.

·
Registered
447 Posts
It depends, these questions would need to be answered for me to decide:
How long does it extend the warranty?
What does it cover?
Is the warranty from Honda or is it another company?
If it's from an aftermarket company, how reputable is this company?

·
Registered
5 Posts
skip it

and start saving money for a replacement. I view these extended warranty stuff as a consumer rip off because of what you find in the fine print of the document. Always risk involved with purchasing a used vehicle. What type of maintenance did the vehicle receive before purchased? Full service history is worth its weight in gold in my opinion. I have an 01 with the original tranny at 192k but it had religious tranny fluid changes that I have continued to this date. Easy goes it on the gas peddle too :rollingeyes:

Brian

·
Registered
539 Posts
I'd recommend banking the money instead of going for the extended warranty, and spending it later if/when you need a replacement transmission (although there could be other major expenses like A/C system repairs). As has been said, it all depends upon the fine print which you should scrutinize very closely. Often these warranties cover major mechanical components, but will exclude other systems/items such as anything electrical.

The 1999-2001 Odysseys had a 4-speed automatic, while the 2002-2004 had a 5-speed one, and both versions had issues. You can spend a month reading about this topic in further detail here on this forum (not that I would recommend it :)).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Don't waste the money on the warranty. If you can, put that money aside in the bank and don't touch it until necessary. At 94,000 miles, you have some large maintenance items coming up soon at 105,000, unless it's been done already. Timing belt & water pump should be replaced at that time. I think it typically runs about $700-$900.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts