Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Humming noise coming from the front at speeds of 60+ in the freeway

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Jmmarks 
#1 ·
Hello All,
I bought a used 2014 honda odyssey Ex-l navi from a dealer 3 weeks back. Has anyone experience the following issues in your car. If you have, can you please tell me how you fixed it? I will appreciate it.

1. I hear a humming noise coming from the front at speeds of 6+ in the freeway.
2. when you start and go its not smooth, even though its automatic transmission, i feel like i am changing the gear. Because there is a jerk for every level of speed.

Thanks,
Kumar

#2 ·
How many miles are on it?

Do you have service records for it?

If it has any significant mileage on it, and you do not have comprehensive service records for it, and you suspect any kind of trans problem, the first thing you should probably do is a 3x drain and fill transmission fluid change. Like yesterday.

#4 ·
Most Likely it's a bad wheel bearing, thats something I would recommend you allow a shop to do. As for the transmission, you should check to see if your transmission fluid has a redish color to it. If it's brown or very dark, you need to do a trans flush and could be the reason why it shifts hard. If you do need flush, you can youtube how to do it yourself and save lots of money. The dealer over charges ATF changes so I would't recommend you allow they to do it.

#5 ·
Not to worry, if the humming is a wheel bearing going bad, it should be relatively easy to isolate which side it's coming from (especially rolling the windows down one at a time while driving (it should be significantly louder with the facing window down), that, and it will only keep getting louder and louder - so easier and easier to isolate ;)

#9 ·
Thanks Guys. Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

I took the vehicle to the dealer, but the road we went was bad i think, we could not hear that sound. The dealer did a inspection on the vehicle, everything looked good. The transmission fluid was good.

If there is a problem with the transmission, the report would have showed it correct?

#10 ·
The interval for Trans Fluid change is 30k - you are at 27k. But w/ the DW-1 ATF, even though the fluid looks good, that means nothing. If the Honda service dep. suspects trans problems, their typical 1st 'repair' is a 3x D&F. You are practically at the service interval anyway, so in your shoes, since you are experiencing trans problems I'd proactively do 3x D&F to see if that fixes the problem. Many people report that doing so dramatically improves the smoothness/function of the Trans. In your shoes, I would do that ASAP, these transmissions are not ones to be ignored or abused when it comes to preventive maintenance.

I am curious how loud your humming noise is? Is it consistent (given a smooth road surface) and does it smoothly change with speed? Is there any perceptible vibration associated with it?

While it's possible it's a bad wheel bearing (though at 30k is much earlier than one would predict), given the shifting problems, it is also possible that both problems are related, and may be resolved by fixing the trans problem.

#11 ·
I've had the same situation the past few months - a loud hum/growl from the front end, starting about 40 mph - really loud above 60.

Took it to the dealer - diagnosed as a wheel bearing. Van (2012 EX-L, bought Dec 2012) has 58k miles, and they are covering it under the power train warranty. They didn't have the part in stock so it goes back in a couple weeks for the actual replacement. I'll report back on if it takes care of the issue.

The Odyssey transmissions are quite sensitive to worn /burnt fluid. It could be related to the torque converter TSB: 17-043 - 2014–17 Odyssey: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
Applies To: 2014–17 Odyssey - ALL - ALL

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A17-043.PDF

I had a similar rough shifting issue show up last year - worst on hot days when doing free-way driving. Transmission drain and fill (about 3 qts) did the trick on the next oil change. I do that every other oil change now and no problems since. There's a thread or two here detailing the process - its nearly as easy as changing the oil and cheap insurance on a $35k vehicle.

#12 ·
I've had the same situation the past few months - a loud hum/growl from the front end, starting about 40 mph - really loud above 60.

Took it to the dealer - diagnosed as a wheel bearing. Van (2012 EX-L, bought Dec 2012) has 58k miles, and they are covering it under the power train warranty. They didn't have the part in stock so it goes back in a couple weeks for the actual replacement. I'll report back on if it takes care of the issue.

The Odyssey transmissions are quite sensitive to worn /burnt fluid. It could be related to the torque converter TSB: 17-043 - 2014–17 Odyssey: Judder from the Torque Converter Lock-Up Clutch
Applies To: 2014–17 Odyssey - ALL - ALL

http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/A17-043.PDF

I had a similar rough shifting issue show up last year - worst on hot days when doing free-way driving. Transmission drain and fill (about 3 qts) did the trick on the next oil change. I do that every other oil change now and no problems since. There's a thread or two here detailing the process - its nearly as easy as changing the oil and cheap insurance on a $35k vehicle.
So, replacing the wheel bearing fixed it or not? I have the same problem in my '14 TE. Loudest between 60-70mph. Front area, a bit vibration, but loud. Can't tell which side. The noise reduces after 70+ mph.

#15 ·
if the vibration is not more pronounced under load (in a curve) its likely not the wheel bearing.

if you haven't already, move the front tires to the back, and see if your vibration and noise moves with it.

perfect looking axles with no boot tears, also common on this generation.

mileage and history of any part changes in the front, would be helpful.

#16 ·
Car was purchased at 68k miles and now at 82k. Tires are brand new, Michelin, quiet and balanced (but not "road forced balanced", which I just learned about and trying to find a tire shop that does it). Rotation was done about several thounds miles ago, so it's time to rotate again. I'll ask Costco move them yo back as you suggested. Also, there's not really jerking in transmission, but do you think it plays any role in this? It's weird that it's the loudest at 65mph and gets quieter after that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.