Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! First time post!
I traded my 2009 Ody EXL for a 2020 EXL not too long ago and I want this new van to last just as long as the previous so I decided to add a catch can for the GDI engine. I know some don't think we need it but it doesn't hurt to add one...unless I botch the install.

I did not want to drill or cut anything in the van so I spent a bit of time figuring out where to mount the thing. This install does not need any drilling (except the included can bracket), cutting or zip ties to the van. Just an easy bolt on.

Items purchased:

K-Motors catch can. It has a mesh filter and cones with 3/8 fitting....perfect!

3/8 ID line

A couple worm gear hose clamp from Homedepot.

A universal catch can bracket kit. I only used the small bracket in the kit. I'm sure someone handy can craft one. I want a clean look so I spent the money.

Here's the bracket installed on top of the mount damper. The damper is just a round steel weight that's screwed in from the top to a stamped steel on the bottom. It doesn't even touch the engine mount so it's safe to add the bracket there.

Here's what it looks like on from the side. I have the included drain valve installed with teflon tape.

I just remove the hose from top of manifold into the input of can, then add new hose from output of can to top of manifold.

A closeup view. I bought the bolts and washers from Homedepot. The bolts were a little bit big but I just drilled out the can bracket holes to fit. The slots on the bracket was pretty big so I had to stack two washers.

Voila! Cover back on and it actually looks factory!
If I bring my car in to the dealership for whatever, I can easily unbolt the can and swap hose to remove it to cover my ass.

·
Registered
472 Posts
The third from the last picture is a clear view of the Honda OEM catch can. Honda has spent considerable time and effort to build this into the valve cover housing.

The Honda Civic enthusiasts have installed catch cans, only to find a few drops in it between oil changes. I'm guessing you will have the same results, but keep us posted!

·
Registered
97 Posts
The third from the last picture is a clear view of the Honda OEM catch can. Honda has spent considerable time and effort to build this into the valve cover housing.

The Honda Civic enthusiasts have installed catch cans, only to find a few drops in it between oil changes. I'm guessing you will have the same results, but keep us posted!
Anyway you could point that out in the picture, I don't see the OEM one.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Hello! First time post!
I traded my 2009 Ody EXL for a 2020 EXL not too long ago and I want this new van to last just as long as the previous so I decided to add a catch can for the GDI engine. I know some don't think we need it but it doesn't hurt to add one...unless I botch the install.

I did not want to drill or cut anything in the van so I spent a bit of time figuring out where to mount the thing. This install does not need any drilling (except the included can bracket), cutting or zip ties to the van. Just an easy bolt on.

Items purchased:

K-Motors catch can. It has a mesh filter and cones with 3/8 fitting....perfect!

3/8 ID line

A couple worm gear hose clamp from Homedepot.

A universal catch can bracket kit. I only used the small bracket in the kit. I'm sure someone handy can craft one. I want a clean look so I spent the money.

Voila! Cover back on and it actually looks factory!
If I bring my car in to the dealership for whatever, I can easily unbolt the can and swap hose to remove it to cover my ass.
Thanks for sharing. Would you happen to know if the layout of the engine in your 2020 Ody the same as the 2019 Ody? Looks like a nice install so I might want to do the same for our 2019 EX.

Wondering why you chose the K-motor's catch can. Is the K-motor's catch can you used smaller than the other catch can's typically sold on amazon to be able to fit in the space you used?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for sharing. Would you happen to know if the layout of the engine in your 2020 Ody the same as the 2019 Ody? Looks like a nice install so I might want to do the same for our 2019 EX.

Wondering why you chose the K-motor's catch can. Is the K-motor's catch can you used smaller than the other catch can's typically sold on amazon to be able to fit in the space you used?
I think the layout is the same for all 5th gen Odysseys.
I picked the K-motor because it has the correct fittings and it has a filter. Other cans does not come with 3/8 fittings and I don't feel like ordering separate fittings. You can use any catch-can you like as long as it has a baffle/filter.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I think the layout is the same for all 5th gen Odysseys.
I picked the K-motor because it has the correct fittings and it has a filter. Other cans does not come with 3/8 fittings and I don't feel like ordering separate fittings. You can use any catch-can you like as long as it has a baffle/filter.
Thanks for your info. Had not thought about the fittings supplied with catch cans matching the size of the existing fittings on our 2019 Ody. Will verify that before I order a catch can.

As others have requested, please do a follow up post regarding how much oil your catch can catches.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Yes, but the V6 in the Odyssey is much different then the 1.5L and 2.0L Turbo 4-Cyl, some of which have had a lot of issues with oil dilution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yes, but the V6 in the Odyssey is much different then the 1.5L and 2.0L Turbo 4-Cyl, some of which have had a lot of issues with oil dilution.
I might be missing something, but I don't know how a catch can would help with oil dilution? I thought the purpose of the catch can was to prevent intake valve carbon resulting from oil blow-by, which can be an issue with direct-injected engines. Honda has spend considerable engineering effort designing the injector and air intake so the valves are washed with fuel. The Civic enthusiasts have taken their engines apart looking for carbon build-up, and found none.

Anyway you could point that out in the picture, I don't see the OEM one.
Here is a picture of the underside of the Honda 1.5L turbo engine. Essentially, the entire valve cover is an elaborate catch can. I would assume that this technology would be used in the V-6 engine if needed.

Link here:
valve cover catch can

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
I might be missing something, but I don't know how a catch can would help with oil dilution? I thought the purpose of the catch can was to prevent intake valve carbon resulting from oil blow-by, which can be an issue with direct-injected engines.
You're quite correct - a catch can reduces carbon buildup, not oil dilution (with fuel).

·
Registered
154 Posts
What problem is this meant to address? How will this help keep your engine running for a longer period of time?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Emptying the catch can makes him feel like he is doing more than other owners so his van will last longer than theirs. Used to be all you had to do was add a bottle of slick 50 to get the same effect.

·
Registered
8,714 Posts
What problem is this meant to address? How will this help keep your engine running for a longer period of time?
A catch can reduces the quantity of oil getting into the engine intake air stream from the crankcase. This in turn reduces the amount of power-robbing carbon buildup on the intake ducting, valves and in the cylinder.

The amount of oil produced varies greatly between brands. Some cars produce a lot and so have a catch can fitted at the factory. Others produce little enough that its effect over the life of the engine is minor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts