Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a year of playing only dvds has left me very spoiled. I really wanted the nav so I went with ex-nav and had the ives installed.

I have no problems with the sound or picture, but i am hating the rewinding and the amount of space needed to store vhs-tapes in the van. kid tapes usually aren't too long so you have to carry several and rewind them often.

so now i am going to have to look into a dvd player for the van but I have some questions.

First, how easy is to make copies of dvds with a dvd burner? I keep all my dvds in two mega changers and I don't want to pull any out to play in the car. Also don't want to buy duplicates of things I already have.

Second, are there any dvd players out there that can play dvds that you burn?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I don't think the tech is in place yet to truly 'copy' or 'burn' a DVD.

Having said that I am aware that you can make VCDs, etc from DVDs and there are Windows-based utilities to actually pull the mpeg off the dvd itself.

However, I don't think that will do you any good since I don't believe this process will take the audio encoding, thx, etc with it.

As for burning, you have the Pioneer A03 (Apple branded 'superdrive') that weighs in around $500; but the media (DVD-R) is still around $10 a pop and I'm not sure a simple PC or Mac can re-encode a DVD or 'burn' one to come anywhere close to those $500,000 pieces of hardware the studios use.

In short; be patient. DVD copying is not there yet. You will be investing considerable money at this point in both the hardware & media just to make a copy "True Romance" when you can pick it up for $12 online.

Just my 2 pikos.

·
Registered
127 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by slocko:
After a year of playing only dvds has left me very spoiled. I really wanted the nav so I went with ex-nav and had the ives installed.

I have no problems with the sound or picture, but i am hating the rewinding and the amount of space needed to store vhs-tapes in the van. kid tapes usually aren't too long so you have to carry several and rewind them often.

so now i am going to have to look into a dvd player for the van but I have some questions.

First, how easy is to make copies of dvds with a dvd burner? I keep all my dvds in two mega changers and I don't want to pull any out to play in the car. Also don't want to buy duplicates of things I already have.

Second, are there any dvd players out there that can play dvds that you burn?
</font>
I've wondered for awhile now if there might be a mobile DVD player that could "drop in" to the VCP mounting area of an iVES and replace the tape player. We have lots of VHS tapes, but now when I get new movies it's almost always on the DVD format. Slocko, if you run across any DVD players that look compatible with the iVES setup, please let me know. If you are thinking about adding a DVD player and keeping the iVES VCP, you should consider a Sony Playstation 2 for a DVD player-it will plug into the AUX inputs on the iVES, and you get video game capability for free!
BTW, nyvram, what's a piko?

·
Registered
205 Posts
While I agree that VHS tapes take up alot of space and need rewinding, you'd save yourself alot of time and expense by simply recording your DVDs onto VHS tape...

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
207 Posts
I agree with everything that's been said here thus far. However, there is a stand-alone recorder that will burn DVDs (DVD-R format) that will work in most players (80%+ compatibility); the Panasonic DMR E20. The lowest price I've seen for this unit is $715 on the net (it's around $999 at Circuit City) while the cheapest DVD-R media runs about $7. So, although it can be done, and can be done rather easily, it's just not worth it at this point in time.

DVD+R should debut shortly and prices (for machines and media) should drop **dramatically** over the next 6-12 months. Nyvram is right; be patient because this technology is going to evolve VERY rapidly.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pearson,

Even if I wanted to copy my dvds to tape, which I don't because I still have a decent collection of original vhs tapes from before I had dvds, i believe due to macrovision protection you can't record dvd to tape.

I forgot to factor in the price of the media. I guess at this point you will not be saving too much money if you have to spend that much on media.

·
Registered
585 Posts
slocko wrote:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">due to macrovision protection you can't record dvd to tape</font>

Not if you own an Apex...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I agree Vhs sucks. I just installed a new panasonic head unit with dvd built in. The fact that the ives did not have dvd is why I did not buy it. My recomendation is to replace the factory head unit with one of the two Panasonic units in the below discussion. You will not regret it. For 500 you have dvd and an upgrade sound. You will still be able to use the dvd because the Panasonic can be adapted to the Honda wiring Harness. The Ives uses an FM Modulator(even honda cant figure out the aux input) the Panasonic units also have an additional aux input. The ives should be able to me modified to take advantage of this. (It would involve cuting the leads entering the fm modulator and placing rca jacks on them)

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Glad to see others are looking into DVD-R technology too. I use a digital camcorder and digital editing software, and can't wait until the prices come down so I can burn DVDs to share videos of my kiddo(s) to grandparents, etc... I was so enamored, I ALMOST switched back to Mac platform to get the "Superdrive" and Mac software. Stuck with Windows, and even went XP
(big brother is watching!!!!!)

Anyhow, if anyone out there takes the leap and starts burning DVDs at home, let me know. I'm definitely interested in hearing other's experiences.

And lastly, with all my digital gear (Laser Disk... I know OLD!, DVD, Tivo) my 2 VCRs at home are just collecting dust. No need for one even there, so I'd never put one in the Ody....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Not if you own an Apex.</font>
Depends on the model, doesn't it? I thought I just read that they produced a new model which looked identical to an older one. Some people bought it thinking it was the older one but when they tried to get to the CSS/macrovision (whatever) screen, they discovered they couldn't.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, that was a flippant comment, the 600a had the YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE screen that let you disable region-encoding and macrovision.

There are others that have surfaced (seems there's a demand out there) and lots of places will MOD up your existing DVD players (even non-APEX ones) like modding your PS or PS2...

·
Registered
207 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by nyvram:
Yeah, that was a flippant comment, the 600a had the YOU SHOULD NOT BE HERE screen that let you disable region-encoding and macrovision.</font>
I've seen several 600As on ebay. I believe the model I was thinking of was the 500W. Now, apparently, there's a 500WM which either doesn't have that screen or no one has figured out how to access it......yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts