Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really love my Hondas and have owned 4 of them. The engines are great, under the hood is well organized and pretty easy to work on. All the controls are in the right place. Everything works.......with one exception, the transmissions. I have tried everything to keep my 2001 going. From inline magnetic filters to 15,000 mile fluid changes, to adding very large transmission coolers. I cannot keep one of these transmissions going for more than about 60,000 miles. This is just terrible (see http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/152009-black-friday-transmission-explosion.html). With my tranny blowing up on BF, I wanted to see about getting a newer model Odyssey but then I read about the http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/151966-class-action-lawsuit-filed-torque-converter.html lawsuit about the torque converters killing the transmissions on those Odysseys. I just can't take it and after Honda told me it would take another $4,500 to fix this most recent transmission problem and put in the FOURTH transmission, I have just had it.

I went down to the Toyota dealer and bought a 2012 Toyota Sienna LE. Let me say, that the Toyota 6 speed transmission shifts better than any transmission I have ever had in a Honda. This thing shifts more perfectly than I could have ever imagined. There is no lag between gears, no slipping, no confusion as to what gear it is supposed to be in. It just shifts perfectly.

I urge you that if you are having questions about how a transmission is supposed to shift, just give one a test drive and see for yourself. I still own an 2008 Accord and now that I see how well a transmission should shift, I realize how my Accord does not shift as well as I thought it did. I am probably going to eventually get a Camry. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the Toyotas arent perfect by any stretch of the imagination but this is a whole lot better and the wife is very happy. She says she doesn't have to worry about the tranny failing anymore.

Signed MikeT125, a proud owner of a Toyota.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I had a Sienna before the current Ody. I currently also have Accord and RX350.
I have no religious affiliation with either Honda or Toyota (or any other Japanese brand).

In my experience, Honda tranny definitely shifts more noticeably than Toyota tranny.

I've been lucky enough to never experience a tranny failure (knock on wood) but I may be testing my luck with the Ody tranny.

Speaking of reliability: The Accord had about the same number of issues as the Sienna.
The Sienna had new steering rack at 90K miles due worn seals, cracked CV boots and a balky sliding door lock.

The Accord lost refrigerant due to worn out Shrader valves, leaked grease on cracked CV boots and needed a PS pump rebuild, all this before 90K miles.
The RX350 is too new to be hit with unexpected repairs.

·
Registered
8,850 Posts
Mike, can't say I blame you. Congrats on the new Sienna!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike, can't say I blame you. Congrats on the new Sienna!
It really is nice. I know all vehicles will have their problems and I'm sure this one will too. I just have a much better feeling about the transmission in this one. I am a pretty good mechanic and fix most all the problems with any vehicle myself. The only thing I cant fix is the AC because you need to have a license for that, and the transmission, because that is just way too big a job for the backyard mechanic that I am. It just frustrated me that whenever this happened, I could do nothing except take it to the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
I too would have done the same Mike. Hope you have good lasting relationship with the Sienna. They are quite nice though thier interiors get bashed a lot but at least their trannies don't puke out prematurely. Do stop by once in a while.

·
Registered
7,508 Posts
Take care, Yamaha Mike. I drove a Sienna recently, and can say that I really do like the tranny. The best part is user-selectable higher gearing for *drum roll* towing. Yes, Toyota does trust their owners to be able to select the best gear for their needs while pulling something. I wish Honda would do the same.

OF

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good point. We will be doing some minor towing with this Sienna. The sad part about all this is I wish Honda could fix this one issue. Something needs to change where they change some internal workings or design philosophy to get a more reliable transmission for their larger vehicles. My old 4cyl Accord never had a transmission problem. I hope they do figure out what to do.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Best of luck, to me Honda needs to fix the transmission but even more their attitude. I went in several times complaining about noise or something and the answer was 'that's normal' or 'it's a feature of the model'

Anyways, the 4cyl accord never had transmission issues because it has no torque :)

·
Super Moderator
13,638 Posts
All mfrs have problems. Toyota is not spotless either. BUT. Alas, Honda is way too arrogant and I agree with PhilZJ. Honda needs to fix their attitude foremost. Gone are the days when the Honda name sold vehicles. Now, Honda is average or below average in the tranny dept and yet, the dealers and Honda Corp won't change their "we're better than the domestics" attitude. :(

·
Registered
11 Posts
Best of luck, to me Honda needs to fix the transmission but even more their attitude. I went in several times complaining about noise or something and the answer was 'that's normal' or 'it's a feature of the model'

Anyways, the 4cyl accord never had transmission issues because it has no torque :)
Believe me "Thats normal" Is not just Honda talking. I have heard that MANY times fron the Toyota techs. -------Buzz

1 - 11 of 11 Posts