Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
This is my first posting on this forum and my first Honda Odyssey. For the past few weeks I have used this forum as source of information, lots and lots of good information. 3 weeks ago I bought a salvage 2004 Honda Odyssey.It has a front damage,it is just the radiator frame support, radiator, A/C condenser and hood. I pay 3000 for it. Last weekend I took the hole front by that I mean the radiator frame support. I have the new radiator frame shipped today but before I weld it back on it I want to take the opportunity to replace some common failure parts due to the easy access I have created :DD. The van has about 130k, what do you experienced owners recommend me that I should change? From my reading on the forum, I quickly realized that the shop manual will be my first investment, so I have the shop manual. I do most of my work and I am not an expert but I like to tell my wife that if I worked on a 20 million dollar f/a-18 I think I can work on my 3k Odyssey. I thank you guys in advance :DD.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Motor mounts and check the bushings on the front lower control arms are just a few items I can think of ... good luck with the new project.

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Take a look and see if the timing belt was replaced yet. Overdue if not.

PS pumps often die around now, but I'd just wait for it. No major dissembly to get to it.

All motor mounts is worth doing, as mentioned above.

It might be a little easier to get at the ATF filter now than other times. Many Honda dealers don't know it exists, but it does. Part # can be found at Majestic Honda website.

The big thing I'd do in your shoes is to install a small aux trans cooler in front of the radiator and plumbed in series so the hot ATF goes to it first, THEN goes to the radiator cooler and back to the pan. I tow a popup camper and I've got 193,000 miles on my original trans. I suspect the cooler and regular fluid and filter changes are why. (and I just used a vanilla tube/fin cooler too).

·
Registered
530 Posts
Ditto, engine mounts, timing belt, water pump, belt tentioners, and auxiliary belts as well.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for bring up the motor mount I did not think about that, this morning before I went to work I took a peak at the front mount and saw a crack on it. I probably will stop at auto-zone and get the 5 mounts if they have them on stock. I do have some questions regarding the radiator; I have not order the radiator so I was looking on flebay and they price range from 62 bones shipped to 310 believe it or not there is a clown asking 250 plus 60 shipping :p for a OEM rad. my question is: does the price difference will affect performance? I was thinking koyo, what has been the consensus on the radiators? I Thank all you for taking the time to help I really value the inputs. I have some pictures of my beauty, thats before I put my hands on it I will take some pic as how she stand today, she is hurt but in no time I will put her back to specs, she is coming along I can only hope for good weather tomorrow so I can change the engine mounts and clean all the spot welds on the frame in preparation for the rad support welding. 24635411_1X.JPG 24635411_5X.JPG 24635411_9X.JPG

·
Registered
107 Posts
The big thing I'd do in your shoes is to install a small aux trans cooler in front of the radiator and plumbed in series so the hot ATF goes to it first, THEN goes to the radiator cooler and back to the pan. I tow a popup camper and I've got 193,000 miles on my original trans. I suspect the cooler and regular fluid and filter changes are why. (and I just used a vanilla tube/fin cooler too).
You might also add a Magnefine AT filter too. Cheap insurance.

·
Registered
530 Posts
good one on the magnafine filter. look at the posibility of doing the external trans filter too.

have you checked your prices for parts from majestic honda,, they seem pretty good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts