Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone offer assistance? I need new tires - we are in Ohio, which can be wet, with a few days of snow/ice per year. I have never ever picked the right tires, as I always feel so unsure on wet, snow, or icy days (beyond what should be "normal" unsuredness in unusual weather). My husband does not love driving my car in those conditions, either, just in case you think the problem might be my driving, ha ha! I usually go to either the dealer or a tire store (one time Walmart) for tires, if that helps.

I would appreciate ALL input, really. I would like to feel a little safer driving in wet/cold weather. Thank so much!

·
Registered
200 Posts
I would recommend you go online to a tire shop website and read reviews about different tires for your van.

My current tires are loud, and have not held their shape. So next tire change I was going to look at reviews for both smooth and quiet tires even if I have to pay a little more. On walmart.com some tires that I found for my vehicle that had good reviews had high mileage warranty and were quiet were these ones, for example:

Goodyear Assurance MaxLife 215/55R17 94 V Tire

This tire is not for a van.

These ones below fit a 2012 Honda Odyssey touring Van. For example.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
Consider looking at something with the new(ish) "all weather" 3-Peak Mountain Snowflake rating. They are supposed to have much better snow and cold temp performance than standard all-season tires.

The new Michelin CrossClimate is an interesting tire, addressing your concerns.
If I were in the market I'd probably look at the Michelin CrossClimate as a starting point too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just got the Crossclimate 2's from Costco. They took $150 off the price when I bought four tires. Best all season/weather tires I've ever purchased. They look hella aggressive too. FYI, the deal expires tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
X2 on Michelin CrossClimate 2. I suggest checking out tirerack website. They have a lot if their own reviews, as well reviews by customers. Put in shop by size or car then you can narrow down by category, all season for example, and also by brand if desired. I have Michelin premier now and have not been happy with them FYI.

·
Registered
93 Posts
CrossClimmate2 doesn't have reviews yet on TireRack.com (too new?) I've been running the Michelin Defender LTX M/S for years. LOTS of positive reviews on that tire at TireRack.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
We just put General Altimax RT43 on our '16 SE - they were rated well on tirerack as well as consumer reports - wife seems happy with them thus far (only been a month or two, though)

·
Registered
224 Posts
Our 2016 TE is our second Odyssey. I switched to light truck / SUV tires as the usual passenger tires discussed here really can't handle the weight of the Odyssey with typical cargo and passenger load, and they wear out quickly. I installed Pirelli Scorpion Verde last year because I had very good experience with them on my wife's Audi SUV. they are quiet, handle well in dry and wet, and are wearing much better than the OE Michelins. I switch to Bridgestone DM-V2 in the winter.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Suggest Bridgestone Turanza, after driving new Pacifica with those for a couple of weeks.

Currently have Michelin ltx m/s on my odysseyand it feels just like a truck now- like Tahoe I rented for a couple of weeks...

good comparison here of different tires that fit:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Also in Ohio (southwest) and currently have Continental TrueContact Tour tires on our Ody. All-Season Touring tire that does well in the rain, is quiet, and has better treadwear than the two sets of Michelins we had on it previously. It's affordably priced too ($167/tire). Looks like Michelin CrossClimate2 is also an excellent tire, but priced a little higher (about $200).

This link shows reviews, performance tests and how it ranks versus other tires in its' class.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...icleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes#testResults

Can just order from TireRack (or TireBuyer which has a $70 mail in rebate too, but charges Ohio sales tax so nearly a wash) ship directly to a local tire installer, then schedule the installation. Installers are listed on the website when you order along with installations prices. I've found isntallation pricing is usually cheaper than what TireRack lists, but YMMV.

Reactions: John U

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just purchased the Michelin crossclimate 2 from tire rack and will get them installed later this week or next week. I have a 1500 mile road trip coming up. The $70 rebate ends tomorrow.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Do NOT buy Toyo tires, of the 4 I bought all had ply separations within 30k miles

Lucky and yet unlucky for me, I had purchased the tire insurance from the local shop I bought them from
so ended up getting 4 replacement tires out of the deal
guess what?
of the 4 replacements two of those had ply separations - at this point I had moved states and it wasn't realistic to use the warranty, so I was out $$$$$

1 went bad while I was 400 miles from home on vacation, ruined a vacation day to get it fixed (no warranty either so it cost me)

in total had 6 tires ply separate, Toyo Versado is the worst tire I have ever owned

·
Registered
353 Posts
We just put General Altimax RT43 on our '16 SE - they were rated well on tirerack as well as consumer reports - wife seems happy with them thus far (only been a month or two, though)
I have these on my 07 and have put on over 25K miles and have gone through 2 winters near Chicago. I'm very happy with them and the price is very reasonable - paid $99 per tire at Discount Tire.

·
Registered
10 Posts
In May I put on a new set of Michelin Defenders on our 07 Odyssey and drove from Phoenix to OK City and back and they are quiet, comfortable, and are rated great in wet weather.
Used to have BF Goodrich tires (on van when bought used) and they were a bit of a harsh noises ride.
Loving the Michelin’s!

Reactions: johnboy76122

·
Registered
11 Posts
Continental TrueContact Tour tires is your choice. The Michelins that were great as original tires were terrible for a 2nd set. Go with the Continental's --- good reviews on Tire Rack.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Can anyone offer assistance? I need new tires - we are in Ohio, which can be wet, with a few days of snow/ice per year. I have never ever picked the right tires, as I always feel so unsure on wet, snow, or icy days (beyond what should be "normal" unsuredness in unusual weather). My husband does not love driving my car in those conditions, either, just in case you think the problem might be my driving, ha ha! I usually go to either the dealer or a tire store (one time Walmart) for tires, if that helps.

I would appreciate ALL input, really. I would like to feel a little safer driving in wet/cold weather. Thank so much!
I

Goodyear are the worst tires I've ever owned, and I bought their highest-end tire. I was excited when they wore out around 20k! A friend purchases tires for a huge fleet of corporate vehicles and agrees Goodyear, for whatever reason, are the worst. He avoids them whenever possible. I always respected the brand, but no more.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I've begun to wonder if tires of the exact brand, model, etc., are subject to huge variation in quality. Maybe it's old rubber, or the technician adds more or less of whatever chemical to a batch, but I've read dozens of conflicting opinions on tires.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts