Honda Odyssey Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
We would certainly recommend the Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires. Our odyssey came with Continental TruContact tires and my wife hated how the road especially after we bought the Michelin's and were able to compare the 2 rides.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've begun to wonder if tires of the exact brand, model, etc., are subject to huge variation in quality. Maybe it's old rubber, or the technician adds more or less of whatever chemical to a batch, but I've read dozens of conflicting opinions on tires.
I used to work in the tire industry and I can tell you for a fact that things like that do not occur in any of the first-tier tire companies (Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental etc.) All of the batching is highly automated and there are very strict QC requirements on every batch of tires and even of chemicals incoming to the plants. All the companies on this level that sell to the OE market are routinely audited by the car manufacturers as well as ISO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can anyone offer assistance? I need new tires - we are in Ohio, which can be wet, with a few days of snow/ice per year. I have never ever picked the right tires, as I always feel so unsure on wet, snow, or icy days (beyond what should be "normal" unsuredness in unusual weather). My husband does not love driving my car in those conditions, either, just in case you think the problem might be my driving, ha ha! I usually go to either the dealer or a tire store (one time Walmart) for tires, if that helps.

I would appreciate ALL input, really. I would like to feel a little safer driving in wet/cold weather. Thank so much!
in Ohio too and I have been very happy with our Bridgestone Dueler tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can anyone offer assistance? I need new tires - we are in Ohio, which can be wet, with a few days of snow/ice per year. I have never ever picked the right tires, as I always feel so unsure on wet, snow, or icy days (beyond what should be "normal" unsuredness in unusual weather). My husband does not love driving my car in those conditions, either, just in case you think the problem might be my driving, ha ha! I usually go to either the dealer or a tire store (one time Walmart) for tires, if that helps.

I would appreciate ALL input, really. I would like to feel a little safer driving in wet/cold weather. Thank so much!
I purchased Michelin Defender tired for our 2010 Odyssey but they barely lasted 30,000 miles, so I went with Continental TrueContact Tours and so far, so good.

·
Registered
2 Posts

If I were you I would purchase Continental True Contacts. I just replaced or True Contacts with Michelin LTX MS2 and now it feels like I’m driving a truck. I would stick with a touring tire and stay away from anything else, because the can was designed for a touring tire. Good luck

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't speak to the snow & ice part, but a great tire for rain and in general are the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires. My biggest complaint with the Odyssey was it's boat like handling due to the soft and tall sidewalls of the touring tires. I moved to the Ultra Performace All-Season tires and found the handling MUCH better while the ride is still good. Our first set was the Falken Pro G4 Sport A/S tires which were GREAT! Falken however discontinued them and came out with a new Falken Pro G5 Sport A/S. I found that the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 are the same as the old Falken Pro G4 tires. Now Sumitomo has a new HTR A/S P03 which has the same tread pattern but a bit better compound acccording to the sales info.

I have the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires on my Audi A4 and we plan to get either the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 or new P03s for our Odyssey soon. Hope this helps.

By the way, always check the UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE (UTQG). ie. Treadwear / Traction / Temperature ratings. This is a good way to compare tires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know if the tires that I would recommend are available for your van, because I don't know if you want 17" or 18" tires.
Either get a dedicated set of Winter Tires called General Altimax Arctic Winter Tires at Tire Rack or get a set of tires that are more Winter(ish) than All Season Tires, but that are not full blown Winter Tires called Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady.
I have both and the General tires are not expensive and the Weather Ready Tires are quiet.
Buy your tires on line at Tire Rack or Discount Tire Direct. Look at their recommended installers, for installation discounts near you.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I put MANY sets of Goodyear Assurance Comfortred Touring tires on my 2000 Odyssey, which I drove for 226,000 miles for 18 years. They gave the best combination of comfort, wet/ice/snow traction, smooth, quiet, good steering dynamics. I also live in NE Ohio. I tried several other tires along the way and they were too hard, or too something. I went back to the Comfortreds and stuck with them. You can find tires with slightly higher ratings for snow or whatever, but these gave me the best combination of factors. I have put several sets also on my Honda Civic and Nissan Sentra. I learned to accept the fact that they need replaced at 35–40,000 miles, in spite of their stated treadwear guarantee. After 35–40,000 miles, they lost their grip in wet/ice/snow.

·
Registered
20 Posts
[/QUOTE]
We have Goodyear Tripletred on our Ody, and it has been an excellent tire for traction in the mountains of Colorado, and great all around. It's very long lasting. I was doubtful at first since it has a wild tread pattern, but provides excellent traction in wet and snow conditions.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I would call and talk to the tire experts at Tire Rack https://www.tirerack.com/content/tirerack/desktop/en/homepage.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Live in Pennsylvania and have similar weather as Ohio, maybe a little more severe and I recently replaced my tires with Continental Conti/ProContact on my 2015 EXL-purchased from Amazon @ $138/tire, they were original equipment on my vehicle. I had 62,000 miles on them rotated every 7500 miles-which honestly is the best mileage I have ever gotten on a set of tires. They have an 80,000 mile warranty. The OEM's still had tread, but heading toward fall/winter weather felt I should replace them now, rather than wait. I'm sure the advice you receive on the "OdyClub" is usually pretty reliable, after all they have experience with their choices-as I do. Best of luck

·
Registered
6 Posts

I put Michelin Defender T+H on my 2010 Osyssey and it drives like a new van, even better than new. As an automotive engineer I was surprised that tires could make such a difference. Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My 2015 EX-L came with Continentals Contacts which were noisy and wore out quickly, replace by 30K before embarking on a cross-country road trip. The second pair were Michelin Premier, better ride and quieter, but they also wore out quickly. Replaced them with Michelin Defender LTX M/S tires which have been all around good and seem to be wearing better.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
My 2015 EX-L came with Continentals Contacts which were noisy and wore out quickly,
The "Pro Contacts" came on Odysseys. The "True Contacts" are a better rated model. I drove 7 hours yesterday at 75-80 mph and happy so far with my new set. Only 24 hours to go.

·
Registered
183 Posts
The real solution is to get snow tires. Bridgestone Blizzaks are good tires. It does mean you will need to swap tires in and out as the temps change. If you want to stick with one all season tire, I've been happy with Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus tires. They work ok in the winter and ok in the summer. I don't want to be switching and storing tires, so this is a good compromise for me.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I can't speak to the snow & ice part, but a great tire for rain and in general are the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires. My biggest complaint with the Odyssey was it's boat like handling due to the soft and tall sidewalls of the touring tires. I moved to the Ultra Performace All-Season tires and found the handling MUCH better while the ride is still good. Our first set was the Falken Pro G4 Sport A/S tires which were GREAT! Falken however discontinued them and came out with a new Falken Pro G5 Sport A/S. I found that the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 are the same as the old Falken Pro G4 tires. Now Sumitomo has a new HTR A/S P03 which has the same tread pattern but a bit better compound acccording to the sales info.

I have the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 tires on my Audi A4 and we plan to get either the Sumitomo HTR A/S P02 or new P03s for our Odyssey soon. Hope this helps.

By the way, always check the UNIFORM TIRE QUALITY GRADE (UTQG). ie. Treadwear / Traction / Temperature ratings. This is a good way to compare tires.
Here in Central OH-IO, and running the Sumitomo HTR's as well. When we bought our '16 EXL used, these were brand new and on the van and my initial thought was "...well, these will have to be changed before Winter." Then I looked at the reviews (all very favorable) and drove on them, a lot, and found I really like these tires. I liked them so much when I needed four new tires for my '07 Avalon I got these on sale from NTB, buy 3 get 1 free and after everything (disposal, install, lifetime balance it was $460). Covid arrives and the Avalon doesn't get used as much as it used to but there's probably 6-7k on the these and they've been fine. On the Odyssey, we have about 14k on them now and they're great. Not the best feeling or most responsive tire, I don't care, it's a Van, my wife couldn't tell the difference between $250 a piece tires and $75 if her life depended on it! ;)

The Altimax and the Verde's I looked at pretty closely too when doing the Avalon but the HTR's were cheaper, in stock, local and have been good enough.

Good luck!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Continental TrueContact Tour tires is your choice. The Michelins that were great as original tires were terrible for a 2nd set. Go with the Continental's --- good reviews on Tire Rack.
I second the recommendation for Continental TrueContacts. Big difference in road feel and steering response compared to Michelins

·
Registered
4 Posts

I use Continental TrueContact Tour on my 2015 Odyssey, just love these, so quiet. Tried Goodyear Assurance but I found them too noisy.
The Contis seem to do ok in the snow, which we had yesterday. But for winter I use Bridgestone Blizzaks.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Funny timing, my wife just "chuffed" the passenger side rear, knocking the heck out of the rim (nice gouge!) and ripping the sidewall of the Sumitomo's. NO brand would have survived mind you. Of course I had to discover this on my own and ask what had happened...

Anyway, we didn't have HTR's on the '16 EXL, we had Touring LSH's; sorry for the earlier confusion. These are no longer made, so I'm going with the NTR P02's replacing two tires even though only one took the hit. 16k miles on the tires now, I don't want to install one new mixed with a older tire that's of a different make as well. I'll report back once these are installed.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just had Michelin crossclimate 2s mounted today and taking a long road trip next week and will report back. So far, they are sticky and comfortable but it has been less than 50 miles.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts