Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK here is my situation. I put a $500 deposit down on a SS EX-L at $500 off MSRP. It was the only Honda dealer I approached and was very happy with that deal considering what I have been reading about MSRP and above in some areas. The van is due in around mid January, from what they are telling me. We knew before we even went looking at these vans that we wanted one and that it would be silver. My dealer didn't have a silver on the lot to look at. So we gave the $500 and off we went very happy. This past Saturday we were on the other side of town and stopped by a very large Honda dealer (800 units a month). It was about 30 minutes after they closed. There was a silver EX-L on the lot and it looked beautiful. We were then approached by a saleswomen who said she was waiting for someone and saw us looking at the van. She said she stopped to see if we had any questions. I said no but you left this Odyssey unlocked! She gave us the 5 minute walk around talk and then I told her what our situation was. She said she was sure she could do better for us and would call on Monday. She called tonight saying they can do $700 off MSRP plus 2 free round trip tickets within the U.S.. I said it sounded great but what about the $500 with the other dealer. She said they would give it back just say you found one elsewhere and are in need of it right away. I said that I don't think they would do that but she went on to say that they didn't provide us with any merchandise or service so they had to give it back. She also said that their dealership gives back deposits on occasion. I have to call the other dealership tomorrow and see what they say. I'd like to give them the offer to meet the price from dealership B. I care less about the round trip tickets. My questions are: Anyone heard of getting a deposit back? If so, what what be a comparable offer at in lieu of the tickets? I'm sure they would come down another $200 to get the sale but what are the tics worth, $300? Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
George

·
Registered
73 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by George incleveland:
Anyone heard of getting a deposit back? If so, what what be a comparable offer at in lieu of the tickets? I'm sure they would come down another $200 to get the sale but what are the tics worth, $300? </font>
George,

You found an Ody below list?! Congratulations!

Concerning getting your deposit back, don't be shy. I got a deposit back from one dealer when I found another that could guarantee my choice of color (I wanted SS). The first dealer didn't flinch. The second dealer said they expected a $1,000 deposit; I told them the first dealer only wanted $500 so they settled for $500. My point? I think dealers can be flexible if you are clear on what you expect.

What are two plane tix worth to you? I imagine a dealer could offer you a discount on an extended warantee package or some other upgrade if he won't give you more $$$.

Sounds like you are in an envyable position. Let us know how it works out, and good luck!

Bryan

·
Registered
205 Posts
Do you know the 1st dealer well? Are you sure that the van will be in in mid-January? I don't think the 1st dealer will have any problems selling the van if you don't buy it, so I'd be surprised if they don't give you your deposit back. I say go with dealer B who has the van on the lot, unless there is a real reason why you want to wait another 6 weeks to buy.

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
47 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by George incleveland:
OK here is my situation. I put a $500 deposit down on a SS EX-L at $500 off MSRP. It was the only Honda dealer I approached and was very happy with that deal considering what I have been reading about MSRP and above in some areas. The van is due in around mid January, from what they are telling me. We knew before we even went looking at these vans that we wanted one and that it would be silver. My dealer didn't have a silver on the lot to look at. So we gave the $500 and off we went very happy. This past Saturday we were on the other side of town and stopped by a very large Honda dealer (800 units a month). It was about 30 minutes after they closed. There was a silver EX-L on the lot and it looked beautiful. We were then approached by a saleswomen who said she was waiting for someone and saw us looking at the van. She said she stopped to see if we had any questions. I said no but you left this Odyssey unlocked! She gave us the 5 minute walk around talk and then I told her what our situation was. She said she was sure she could do better for us and would call on Monday. She called tonight saying they can do $700 off MSRP plus 2 free round trip tickets within the U.S.. I said it sounded great but what about the $500 with the other dealer. She said they would give it back just say you found one elsewhere and are in need of it right away. I said that I don't think they would do that but she went on to say that they didn't provide us with any merchandise or service so they had to give it back. She also said that their dealership gives back deposits on occasion. I have to call the other dealership tomorrow and see what they say. I'd like to give them the offer to meet the price from dealership B. I care less about the round trip tickets. My questions are: Anyone heard of getting a deposit back? If so, what what be a comparable offer at in lieu of the tickets? I'm sure they would come down another $200 to get the sale but what are the tics worth, $300? Any suggestion or comments would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
George
</font>
George
Go for the 'bird in hand'. The first dealer should give you your deposit back....he'll have another buyer along soooooooon!!
Think you are among the lucky few who have come across such deals! I haven't shopped around for a vehicle in about 16 years....bought a basic Mercedes and it won't seem to give up.....275,000 miles without any major problems....I'm wishing it would blow up so I feel better about spending $34,000 plus for a 2002 Ody!!Shopping on the net is quite an educational experience. Comparing the prices of accessories and MSRP between dealers is astounding. Their figures are all different but amazing, amazing they all seem to get to the $34,000.00 price tag within dollars of each [email protected]

Schnauzer

------------------

·
Registered
239 Posts
I guess you have not had the first dealer to write down that your deposit is 'fully refundable'. Anyway, I thought it is the law that any deposit should be refundable, am I correct? Even after you sign the contract, you''ll have 30 days to back out?

·
Registered
854 Posts
Long time ago when I was young I gave a $200 deposit on a car. I ended up not getting the car and forot about my deposit. Months later it came in the mail. I think when accounting goes over the books they check on the status of unused deposits.

Just recently I got pissed off at my dealer and asked for my deposit back. He didn't even blink and a week later they mailed me my credit card receipt. I decided to go back to the dealer and put down another deposit a second time at the same time. There was some confusion and it turned out that the red I was promised was actually silver and again I was ready to walk and they offered to give me back my deposit a second time.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Refundability depends on what you agreed to with the dealer. Most are refundable around here, but some dealers require non-refundable deposits.

It is not safe to assume one dealer offers refunds just because others do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts