Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a wild hair over the holidays and decided to spice up our '05 EX-L w/ RES with honda's OEM subwoofer (made by Kelton Bassworks)

http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/product_info.php?pName=subwoofer-odyssey&cName=20052008-odyssey-audio

I like the stock sound system, but wanted a little more oomph for the music and movies--thought it could use some more bass. The installation instructions are available at the link above and recommends it's not for DIY'ers, but I had no intention of paying someone to do it for me as the instructions are excellent and easy to follow. Plus, it was made specifically for our vehicles. You have to purchase the subwoofer and then the installation kit (extra $80, but you absolutely need it unless you're some kind of wiring genius).

I'm a novice tinkerer. I was able to do the entire job in about 8 hours, but I am incredibly slow and meticulous--I'd rather triple check than break something. I did it in one setting so the Mrs. wouldn't complain about her car being torn apart.

I took some pics below during the install, but it was really too lengthy for me to stop and take pics at each part. Let me summarize my thoughts from the install and my opinion of the results:
1. The plastic panels come off pretty logically. I only cracked one piece (rear cover of passenger seat track and it's too unnoticeable to want to replace). I bought a door panel removal tool (like a flat screwdriver thing) from autoparts store and that helped with leverage, but more often than not it was just prying with fingers.
2. I photographed and labeled some things to make sure I got them back in the right place. Taped screws to parts to not mix up.
3. I managed to fix our glove box damper (the cylinder that slows the lowering) while I was in there. I also think I figured out why our DVD's get hot during long trips (floor blower vents are right there in the area and we usually have them on).
4. There are a lot of steps to complete--like I said, 8h of work time.
5. There is a cool on/off subwoofer button that goes by the driver side panel (L of steering wheel), but routing the wire harness to it under the middle console was the most puzzling part--didn't really follow the instructions that well).
6. I also didn't zip tie any of the wire harnesses down until I was sure of the length (one set of wires goes under the steering wheel, one goes to the back of the head unit (CD player), the other goes behind the glovebox and down the R front door sill trim and under the passenger seat--where the subwoofer is mounted).
7. Bolting the subwoofer bracket under the passenger seat is easy. But, the last step of bolting the subwoofer to the subwoofer bracket would be greatly enhanced by having a shallow socket wrench--I had to turn those damn things by hand and an adjustable wrench.
8. There are two adjustments on the subwoofer itself--one is volume and the other is gain. I cranked them both, but that's kind of a mistake. The sounds seems to distort once you crank the volume past "15" on any music with significant bass--so in, effect, you get a lot of bass, but it drowns out the music. I turned both down to about 1/2 power and it is much more enjoyable--no distortion. I mention this because the adjustments have to be made with a phillips head screwdriver and you have to take 1 front and 1 side passenger seat trim plastic piece of to get to it once installed (these are off during installation, but it makes sense to spend a little time adjusting it to your liking before putting the seat trim back on.
9. The trickiest step putting everything back on (other than remembering where it goes) is the head unit and stretching the wires to plug them all back in--gets a little tight and crowded at the end. The glovebox reinstall is a little tricky, but not bad once you understand the concept.

So, in essence, was it worth it? I say yes, mainly b/c it sounds better. To me, doing car stuff like this is a hobby, so I don't mind the time, though some might be put off by all the steps to go through. If working with your hands doesn't appeal to you, you'd probably curse the whole thing.

Cost is a consideration--these things aren't cheap, and I really didn't go to any audioshops to price an install of something else. I don't remember exactly the cost, but subwoofer was about $140 and attachment kit was about $80. I spent $5-8 on the pry tool.

Sorry, I don't have many pics, but like I said, the install guide linked above is quite good.

This is what the space behind the head unit/cd player looks like

Here's most of the central console removed

This is the lowest portion removed. The end pieces are the seat heater switches and the middle two are connected to the 12V outlets)

P.S. I now have the gray storage bin that was under the passenger seat for sale on this site.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145700
(it gets displaced by the subwoofer).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Link doesn't work. Can you simply post a pic of the underseat box? I have something loose and I think its that.

But problem is I don't know what it looks like.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Thanks... now I know where it goes. was just sitting loose in the footwell.

Maybe the previous owner put the sub in? Lets go investigate...

·
Registered
131 Posts
Hi gokstate,

How's the subs now? I ordered mine and hopefully will arrive soon. I'll be installing it myself as well. Just curious about the harness that came with the kit. How many wires that connects to the actual sub? Instructions says 8 pin connector but how many wires are really there? Thanks in advance:)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Woo, good luck with the install. Sorry this has been so long, I don't recall the wires in the harness. We're actually now on our 2014 Odyssey but the 2005 is with a family member. The sub was really just plug and play IIRC. However, I recommend thinking about the settings before bolting under the seat --very tough to adjust from a reach perspective. Of course, it's also hard to adjust anything til you plug it in.

I think, with the benefit of time perspective, that the subwoofer was worth it. It's a lengthy install, running the wiring harnesses through the trim and hooking up the on/off button to the left of the driver's side. I think the best part was having a step by step Honda factory guide to work through it--I can follow instructions, but at the time (and still pretty much now) didn't have a lot of wiring technical know-how. It improved movie watching and music listening experience.

In fact, now I'm in the process of seeing what I can do to improve the 2014 (Ex-L with RES) audio experience. I think the 2014 audio system sounds worse than 2005! I also miss the 2005--Seats were more comfortable to me. However, it's the wife's ride and she would 100% disagree with me on that.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I too installed the Kelton subwoofer. Nice low end bass for moderate volumes.
Yeah compared the 2012 front seating headroom to my 05 ody,I had to duck to enter the cabin. I felt there is more front seat headroom in the 05 ody.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Thanks gokstate and pappy for the inputs. I did some looking around and found out that if you're a member of Autozone, you have complete access to wiring diagrams in their database. This is what I found out.
subwoofer8pinconnector.gif

The reason I'm asking is because I have an aftermarket HU discussed in this threadl and just wanted to make sure that it will work if I connect the accessory harness to it. Yes, the instruction manual is a big help when doing projects like this and it gave me clue that it will work because the 20 pin connector from the accessory harness is the only thing that you need to insert for it to work. Checking the wiring assignments on the sub connector, no out of place pin for it not to work on the aftermarket hu. Unfortunately the attachment kit has been discontinued and been looking around for it for quite some time now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
UPDATE:

Purchased the last attachment kit bought from south bay honda, 2.5hr drive from where I live. They say it's the last one and I'm very lucky I got it. It's a long shot if you can find it anywhere else but you can try. Anyway, brought my tools with me so I can install at the dealer's parking lot to test it out. First connected the 20pin connectors and the 8pin to the sub, turned on aftermarket HU and nothing. No sound from sub. So frustrated but the dealer was good enough to offer a refund right there and there. But I was determined that it will work and tried again. Then, I realized that I haven't connected the switch that goes in the driver side dash panel right below the power sliding door controls. VIOLA! It is ALIVE! Took it home and did the install the following day. Very happy with the sound it produces not very overpowering. Wife even notice the sound difference.

Took some pics of the connectors and harness for anybody who would like to do their own wiring if the can't find the attachment kit. It is possible to open the sub and directly splice into the internal wirings of the sub and connect it to both front speakers left and right, acc and ground as indicated in my previous post.

Here's the pics:

Kelton Sub
20160317_215743.jpg
20160317_215751.jpg

OEM Harness
20160318_094424.jpg

Dash switch
20160318_094438.jpg

Connectors
20160318_094511.jpg
20160318_094536.jpg
20160318_094547.jpg